Wood Powered Caddy

That sounds good, Waterloo is about 100 miles from here, that would be a nice run. Got a good report from my Doctor last Thursday. Need to do a couple of more tests and I think I may hear the “cured” word. Been working on the Caddy the last few days, I had to put more reinforcement in the hay filters, corner to corner, I had a support in the center up and down but it sucked in the corners and buckled the tops to where it lost seal around top. Got it going again, put close to 100 miles on it today, when it’s running I can’t stay out of it. That would be great to get together, I’ve never seen another wood burner in real life. Latter, Herb

Well another lesson learned, the " ribbon candy" coolers, as Steve U called them sucked together in the center and cut off the flow. It would run great until the cooler temp reached about 600 degrees and then it would start to lose power. When I would stop and look at them they looked distorted but still looked like the gas would have room to get through but no. I had to cut a hole at the top of each loop and slide a 1/4 X 2" piece of metal down through to hold sides apart. They don’t look as nice but it seems to be doing the job, that is what happens when you don’t have the sense to do it the proven and tested way. It’s all a good learning experience. I don’t think I have had a project that has held my interest and has been more fun.

Herb,
test and learn is the best teacher.
push the envelope of the proven and tested way. That is how this old technology will be advanced to demonstrate its viability for today.
I think your gasified caddy is definitely out of the box thinking. I suspect that the pressure differential got too high and collapsed the side walls. The flat bars are a good solution.

Glad you could “develop” a fix Herb, The cool look of those ribbons is worth it.

Yeah, I thought I put enough bends in the coolers to keep them from caving in. Under estimated vacuum power bigtime. I think I have 950 miles on it now on wood except starting and getting me back home after a couple malfunctions. It’s all fun though!!

I have about 1250 miles on it now, I’ve been using it for my daily driver. I’m learning more about how to control it, how much wood to put in for a certain trip so I have about the right amount of wood left to relight, lots of things to know. I do like passing cars out on the road with the words still on the rear window " Wood Powered Caddy" That has to make people wonder.
If anyone would like to talk feel free to call any time 5157786466. Mike LaRosa would you please put your number up again? My computer screen has a blank spot and part of your number happened to fall in that spot, I have tried to make it out put can’t. I think that lets everyone know the fine equipment I have to work with, O well, it could be worse, as a matter of fact I have seen it worse but I do have a Caddy that runs off of wood and what else really matters?. Latter, Herb

Hi Herb, I’m usually at 608-623-3000 …I’ll type it again a few rows down so you’ll get it either way …Mike

608-623-3000

Thanks Mike, I have you in my phone now. A couple of guys have asked about the car I have in my picture. It’s a 1929 Model ‘A’ Ford Sedan Delivery. I built the frame 35 years ago out of 2x4 tubing, gave $50 for the junk old body back in the 70’s, I have a Blown (671) 429 Super Cobra Jet Ford in it for power. Top chopped 4 and 1/2 ins. Independent suspension all the way around, Big Ford 9 in. quick change rear end. Right or wrong I did it all. I don’t drive it to much any more due to outrageous gas prices, it doesn’t do that great on gas! I do get it out if a bad chevy comes to town. I tell the Chevy guys “Chevys are hard to beat but it SURE IS FUN!” It’s just a joke, please don’t be offended. Latter, Herb PS That’s not me standing on the running board, I’m much better looking. ha Another PS I beat the Cancer thing! Thank God

Thanks for the pictures Herb. I don’t believe I have ever seen a sedan delivery before with the hinged opening door in the back.
don mannes

Herb, you’re a winner, all the way around! Congratulations.

Herb, 10-4, Hope the blood stays OK … Hope to meet you soon. Cedar Rapids is about 2 hours if I recall right. I’d love to take a weekday off just to play woodgas. Maybe Manchester or Independence ?? HWY 20 is a good woodgas road. Do lunch at Subway or whatever … I forget what town you are in but I recall it is near DM . I’m about 50 NE of Dubuque and I have to go through there regardless. When it cools off of course . Supposed to be over 90 here tomorrow … Mike

Herb,

It’s a shame people have to live like that. Some day you will be able to afford a newer car.

Congrats on the health report!

Herb,

Keep up the good work. You make us all proud.

Yeah Don the old body I started with was just a 2 Dr Sedan with rear side windows, it was in such bad shape I ended up getting a Sedan Delivery kit from Gibbons fiberglass, you get the rear door with those hinges and the upper rear side panels which take the place of the old rear side windows making it a Sedan Delivery instead of 2 Dr Sedan, sure saves on body work. Thanks Carl, what a nice compliment, I appreciate that, you are very kind. Mike I’m looking forward to meeting up with you too, will be fun. I’m in Woodward Ia, about 40 miles NW of DesMoines I can’t wait to see another woodgas machine. Richard, that’s a good one, I laughed about your comment for a while and Wayne thanks for the compliment, I don’t know if I deserve that, but I’ll take it, thanks. Herb

The Wood Powered Caddy has about 1400 miles on it now, I thought some of you would get a kick out of my license plate, they just don’t make things like they used to, ha! I put that piece of aluminum behind plate after it got scorched, I don’t think it’s become any worse since. It runs good, I think it is running a little better as it gets more miles on it. It’s got some tar dribbles on it from one of the hold downs breaking and it is sucked in from vacuum where ever it can, I have it braced from the inside so it can’t go in any more, I hope. later, Herb

Herb, Where is your license plate light ??? I used a side lamp for a trailer for the one on my 91 olds but I mounted the plate on the rear tailgate off to the side and attached the light to the gasifier mount. I’ll assume (ass out of u and me) that your brake lights are out beyond the unit … Cute bumpers … Mike L

Ha! Your scorched license plate puts a new spin on “Burn Baby Burn!”

License plate light? What do you need that for? Just kidding. The tail and brake lights are out past the unit a full light, had a friend follow me at night and he said it was lite up pretty good back there, I don’t know if the police would agree with that.

Yeah Billy, I probably drove it harder that day then I ever had, it’s really just the plastic coat they put on those cheap tags now. When I first saw it I thought I needed to replace it but I kind of like it now. Your right, nothing says BBB like that plate.

Hey Herb do you have anymore photos of your build? did you use the WK design? What does that unit weigh on the back of the caddy and did you have to add any strength on the rear suspension to hold it up??
thanks, Denny

Hi Denny, It’s all WK accept the first part of preheat, coolers, hay filters and that it is a complete dual system. As far as weight I think about 450 lbs. It weighed 380 lbs when I came back from sandblaster without a small amount of SS and aluminum. As far as mounting I used 1x2x11ga. tube 5 ft. long and bolted it to the rear of the Caddy frame on both sides just like a trailer hitch would be. I put air bags in the coil springs to carry the weight, so far so good. It has factory air shocks w/compressor but they slow leak so I don’t use them. latter, Herb