Wood supply

Well I finished cutting the cherry and mulberry trees that I needed to cut for a different project. The mulberry is very yellow and hard as hard as oak or maple I would guess. I don’t know how good it will be there where some dead knots that will probably break out as it dries but it is probably the only mulberry tree I will ever saw as it was only planted here for the berries not native.
I am sure I will get a few boards i can make something out of as a keepsake which was really all I was hoping for anyway.

5 Likes

Hello Mr. Dan .

I two have been sawing some lately. I have been sawing out a house plan ( pine ) and have sawed 11,000 board feet in the last 2-3 weeks and still more to go :frowning_face: Most of the logs were 16 footers and the 2x12 x 16 seem to be much heavier than they were just a few years back :neutral_face:

8 Likes

Well you put me to shame there. I have just been playing with a few small logs I needed to clean up. And didn’t want to put in my wood shed. Seems hard to find time to saw wood.

Too many distractions like selling those 200 bales I needed to deliver the other day.

But I can tell you my sawing skills are definitely not up to sawing a house to plans. At the moment my skill level is just happy to get boards that my cows approve of for the barn and now a few boards I can hopefully plain down enough to do something with after they dry. I definitely need more practice before I would want to sell the output of my sawing. I notice each time I use the mill I learn something new.

6 Likes

Oh I forgot to mention the stumps in the background of that photo are from the trees I sawed.

1 Like

Hey Dan .

When sawing and flipping the logs one has to use a lot of math so the log will turn out the max amount of lumber with your target sizes in mind . Most of the time I have to slow the saw a little so the brain can try to catch up :smile:

7 Likes

Haha, I can relate to that. I have a hard time put my clothes on in the right order in the morning. :smile: At least until I have a strong cup of coffee.
I’ve come to the conclusion this why I like working with firewood and chunks so much - it requires very little brain capacity :smile:

6 Likes

Chunks maybe, but firewood? We did some chainsawing again this weekend. I am still scared by the machines. All woodworking machines are dangerous. Jumping around them now for 25 years but they still scare me.

The rebaki is on his way and is expected mid next week. Some dealer in Friesland had a 120 demo. It is a six bladed, but if I change it to 8 blades the chunks might be suitable for a gasifier. Maybe next week there are some pictures.

3 Likes

True. This was my first chainsaw related injury so far, from this spring.
But the thing is l sawed stuff in the most impossible scenarios imaginable, never a scratch, but this happened right at our doorstep clearing some bush next to the house. This happened because l underestimated the danger. I learned thats the worse thing one can do!

The leg is in fact mine, not of a warewulf :smile:

12 Likes

First board in a newly purchased planer.
It worked really well, but I do not know how to set it up yet, tricky with the side cutters.
Does anyone know how a heat fuse in a 3-phase motor works, a fuse seems to be broken in a motor.
You should have saw protection pants Kristian.:grinning:

5 Likes

Your very right!!! This was my worst. A circular saw. I almost lost my thumb.

KIMG2969

6 Likes

Aha, now I see what the green machine is! Very nice!

1 Like

I’ve never seen a standard 3-phase motor come with internal fuses. Meassure the winding’s resistance. You should see 5-10 ohm through each winding and infinte towards ground.
External overload protection is usually just a bi-metal device, heated up by the current. If It’s broken there’s not much do do about it, but to replace it. A quick fix could be to by-pass just the one one bi-metal (one phase) that’s broken.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. All 3 phase motors I ever say in my 20 plus years working in industrial controls both as a tech and engineer where just winding in the motor and a circuit breaker in the electrical panel to protect them. Sometimes there is a soft start relay or motor starter but it is in the box outside the motor.
I would be suspicious that the motor or machine has a bad bearing that is binding up under load if the motor is over heating and tripping.

3 Likes

Thermal contact or Thermistors, I think it is in the motors, I have an old similar motor, should look at it if it can be repaired.

2 Likes

I know hard learned lessons when I hear them. Easy to say these things, but hard to do.
Rindert

1 Like

Those thermal switches basically come in two formats. A ball of soder that melts at a certain temperature and breaks the circuit then re hardens when the motor cools off. Or bimetallic strips that flex open at a thermal cut off. I would suspect if it is built into the motor it is a bimatalic strip and the two metals have separated over the years. You should be able to source a replacement. I just have never seen a 3 phase motor with a trip and reset. I have seen plenty of small single phase motors with that protection built in. The melt and reform is usually limited to a motor contactor. Over years of tripping the melting current will drop off and you have to replace them. Spent a long night testing everything on an old conveyor system that kept tripping before an old timer asked me why I was checking everything to learn that one. Replace the old motor breakers before you test the wires and motor if it trips with a new motor. Lol yup it was about 20 years ago but I still remember how the old timer laughed when he came over to see how the new guy war making out. Lol

4 Likes

Some motors (mostly smaller, for example refrigeration compressors) have thermal-current fuses installed in the winding, they are easily bimetallic, possibly also PTC resistive

2 Likes

The biggest trick to saw safety is get into the habit of hitting the chain break before you move your feet. My uncle drove that into my head when I first used a chainsaw now it is second nature I flick my wrist and hit the break before I start walking. The vast majority of chainsaw accidents involve a running chain while someone walks.

6 Likes

Kristijan Ihave a scar on my right knee that’s almost identical to yours.I didn’t see your picture right away because I have been off the sight for a while Larry

2 Likes

Kristijan I ment to say heal up soon but didn’t include that in the last message

2 Likes