Wood supply

if you want to go the route of a conveyor, I can get you all the conveyor belt you need Bob

5 Likes

Cool Marcus, that is what I was looking for. I want to build a swing boom conveyor off my chunker the chunker can run everything.
It is great to have Wood Gas Freinds.
Bob

5 Likes

I have a pallet of belt material I have been saving knowing someone would need it for a project just like this, and plan to keep more I would love to build a conveyor off my chunker to some ibc totes when I get a place of my own and a way to move them. easy wood storage I hope, but a long ways down the road

5 Likes

Always build everything portable easy to move, this is my way of doing things. My chunker still looks like a old square hay bailer. I might shorten the width of the wheels to half what it is now.
Lots of good steel in this bailing unit. Made in the good old USA when America was a leader in manufacturing their own products. We have fallen from that status quo. Capitalism went to other countries to find cheaper labor and no unions. They made billions and put it in there pockets.
Bob

5 Likes

Oh, that rubbing, looks like it needs to become a self-sharpening feature. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Norman89 ,
I admire your resourcefulness! Also using someone else’s electric meter to dry your fuel! :rofl: :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

if the sun aint shining you cant make hay. But if the sun is shining at the neighbors house i guess…(shoulder shrug) :grin:

3 Likes

Ok, I gotta ask…do you like chunks better then billets? To burn? I have never had or used chunked wood.

3 Likes

I like the speed of chunking vs sawing, though I had less clogging problems on my sawed chunks

5 Likes

Your sawed chunks had no fractures and splintering in the wood. What I have found on the chunker to help with that is to chunk green wood. Dry wood cracks into smaller pieces. Your wet wood did it fracture like dry wood?
Bob

4 Likes

Some of it yes, this lumber was extremely old, some I salvaged from Aberdeen a few years back. True old growth Douglas fir, the finest of lumber from our state. I counted the rings on one of the 2x4 I chunked, I lost count at 90 something. On a stinking 2x4. To my knowledge there hadn’t been any production cutting of the giants since the 50’s in that area. The usual Doug fir I get from pallets at work might have 8-30 rings. It seems to fracture better then the tight ring monsters of the coast, which tended to shatter even when wet. It may just be that the lumber was so old I don’t really know

4 Likes

You are a treat Marcus. How many other guys would think to assay the density of their fuel by counting rings in a two by four? I’m getting a man crush on you.

4 Likes

I finally decided to find out the moisture content of the various wood.
The spruce was down for 3 years, and the oak was down for 10 years.
Now I am going to be one of those old guys running around pricking my wood.

8 Likes

Does that mean we can call you an old prick now? ducks :laughing:

6 Likes

If you weren’t before, now you have a valid reason! I am very excited about this new stage in my life…

7 Likes

This guy went overboard, but. I don’t think he is using oil at all. I just skimmed through it to look at his basic mechanism, the feeder and the press tube, which are actually fairly simple.

Bout a week or 2 there, gonna need all of it and more! Gotta keep plucking at it till I’m on Wayne’s level of fuel storage

11 Likes

How is the new size that you have been chucking up working in your WK Gasifier Marcus? Or is the wood still drying.
Nice pile of chunks there.
Bob

6 Likes

Still running on the bigger chunks I had stored but it is doing much better, little better milage and less clogging. This run i chunked a bit smaller, but can’t go to small with large grain structure since the pieces will shatter instead of fracturing. Each piece depending on growth rings or dampness I take a chunk or 2 before I decide how big they will be but most are happy about 2" long and up to 2" diameter. If it’s much larger in diameter I actually have to lengthen the chunk out to 3 in or so otherwise it will split in 2 as it fractures. I think that is one reason Wayne’s chunker seems to work better than mine is his cutter is 3/16 thick and therefore puts less pressure on the wood as it’s being chunked whereas mine has a lot of force being quarter inch and a lot of my pieces are so fractured you can look through it like daylight all the way around almost like looking at a loose stack of firewood

10 Likes

Too hot for a coat but warm enough for pants. We are towing in the good dry maple, for gas producer billets. We are working on an ice crust two feet thick.

The kid is enjoying running the snowmachine, and I am just grateful to be alive. If it makes a profit, that’s a bonus.

9 Likes