Wood supply

We can’t put all poplars under one label, there are like 27 different species. Here are a few; Poplar Trees: Types, Bark, Leaves - Identification (With Pictures)

2 Likes

A good friend of mine said, hornbeam is like gasoline, oak is like diesel, and poplar is for making coffee in the summer. Poplar has other good properties, it is excellent as roofing wood, good load-bearing capacity and very good durability, a few years ago we changed the roof of the church, where there was a lot of poplar wood, on some pieces there was bark, … wood is was 350 years old

11 Likes

No, that is why is specified the populus genus which we commonly refer to as poplar. As you pointed out there are numerous species. but they do share a bunch of common traits. But sometimes you do have to get specific.

1 Like

Back out in the cherry orchard picking up this years pruning, lots of nice straight pieces to chunk up. And lots of big chunks to saw up for charcoal making in the retort or fire pit. It is going to have to dry for a few months after prossing it.

Now I have to unload it. This is 2 rows of the twelve rows. 400 trees.
The wood burner truck has to earn its keep.
Bob

11 Likes

Unless you have a self loader hidden on your truck I am thinking you need a day off

7 Likes

At times I wished I had a little set up like what you have on your 3/4 ton Ford gasifer truck Mike. But my truck would probably roll over on it side from what I have seen you put in your truck.
How is the big 75 working for you now that you have settled into it for the pass few days? I am going to hit the big 70 on the 30th of this month. Oh ya we are like a good bottle of fine wine getting better with age. Right?
Bob

7 Likes

What could be better than a little wood handling on days off :palm_tree:

7 Likes

That’s just crazy talk Bob. I’m about to hit mid-point of my 74th year and nothing is getting better. Not the bottle, not the wine nor the hang over.

8 Likes

So what you are saying Tom, is that your fine wine is done turned into vinegar? Even vinegar as its purposes. Maybe not like wine.
Bob

5 Likes

Thats right Bob. I’m good for cleaning windows. Otherwise old and bitter hiding behind a pretty face. Also delusional and a liar. About the face, I mean.

9 Likes

In the past I have made the statement a few times that I may have enough motor fuel stored away to do me the rest of my life. Folks would respond in two ways . Some would be happy for me and reply saying that is great while others might give their condolences . :neutral_face:

12 Likes

No fuel like an old fuel, Wayne.

5 Likes

Tom, you are about like me. I don’t know how to act my age because I’ve never been this old before :smirk:

15 Likes

Well in that case Don just act like a younger man. You already have done this before so you know what to do. I sure the mind is willing but the body? Hum…maybe I take a nap and sleep on it.
Bob

7 Likes

They don’t even give out free samples at the winery’s anymore!! What a crock!! In the old days (not the really old days), going for a walk around your block, would mean you could come home buzzed. Now they even bust you for DUI riding a bike drunk.

6 Likes

I am happy that you are caught up. Sad that you are planning on passing away so soon, and sad you have a marvelous chunker that is not going to be used. :slight_smile: We are happy it opens up other opportunities for your time, like maybe you can make a stationary gasifier to power your sawmill… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hello Tom, my father-in-law turned 98 in February, he takes care of some chickens and some rabbits, he heats the house with firewood, otherwise I prepare firewood for him but he carries it up the stairs to the apartment. Last week we planted potatoes in his field and he was furious that I made the species too wide, … Mr. Tom, you have a good sense of humor, you write a lot of interesting thoughts, I wish God would let you live for many more years among us . And may he give you health and courage.

8 Likes

It makes sense why you even have the wife help you bag up all that wood that you keep chunking regularly. Lisa must want you around for a long time. It sad you have to burn up some of the wood in a pile on the ground. It best to burn it in your trucks. BBB DOW until your cows go to market and then drive some more on the farm.
Bob

7 Likes

You are a good man Tone and I like everything I have learned about you, but please don’t wish for me to be 98. There are many worlds to explore and I won’t weep about leaving this one. You are still relatively young and can still wrestle a lot of enjoyment out of this life. There will be no one to prepare my firewood or help plant my potatoes. I am still able to do those things for myself. Do not want to hang around when I can’t. Life is for the bold. It should be fought with fairly like an honorable man would and caressed like a woman appreciating all of its charms… Then you will have gotten the best it has to offer. Now you have me talking like an idiot.

8 Likes

There you go waxing eloquent again, Tom. I enjoy your wisdom and your humor, too.

10 Likes