Wood supply

Hello Darren,

I try to chunk the wood while it is still green . If it has time to dry out it is twice as hard on the chunker.

If it is cured I will wait until a rain and chunk while it’s wet.

1 Like

Gotta get me a chunker!
Very clever design Wayne.
Here’s a mill I made a few years back. It has served me well. hydraulic carriage power lifted head…works real good.
got a new set of steel band wheels to put on soon. None of the old blades will fit, so I guess I will have to cut 'em up and weld 'em on a fire tube lol…funny how things seem to work out…

1 Like

Hello Kelly

A man with a saw mill will have a lot of motor fuel around

3 Likes

I am trying to clean up some so I can bushog.

I have a lot of one inch oak lumber that is in my way so I decided to use it for motor fuel.

It has been stacked out for about 4 years and is dry and hard. The wood chunker splinters it up to much so I am using a table saw to cut it up.

I sawed it in 2-3 foot pieces and then hit it with a hatchet.

I will save this wood for longer trips. It is much denser that the pine wood I have been using. A hopper of this sawed oak should go twice the distance as the chunked pine. (I expect about 100 miles on the Dakotas )

Hey Mike LaRosa, You wanted some weights on wood. A five gallon bucket of the chucked pine weighs 11 pounds. A bucket of the sawed oak weighs 22 pounds.

3 Likes

If I had that set up and the wood supply…I would start building myself a house. Or turn my old barn into a house.

Wayne Baker: I hear that…

Wayne Keith: Any estimates on how many “miles” of wood you have bagged up there?

Down south here (across the border in Georgia) where it’s warm, I run clean used vegetable fryer oil straight in my old Ford 6.9 (International motor, indirect injection) diesel. Blend in a little diesel or gasoline to make it easier to start in cooler weather. Smells like french fries going down the road. I never have got fancy with switching valves, but I do recommend trying it out with a clean fuel tank. I use an old RV propane tank as my ‘bio fuel’ tank. If you put veg oil in an old diesel fuel tank, it will cut loose all the gunk stuck to the sides and clog a half dozen filters in the first month. Straight veg oil runs smooth, I think better than diesel. Hardest part is finding a restaurant to supply the oil. All the big guys like McDonalds and the chicken places have contracts with recyclers. Some produce 1000-2000 gal per month, but usually sell it for less than $0.50/gal. I hope to get a centrifuge cleaner soon, rigged up with an old power steering pump or brass gear pump. Right now I filter it, then let it sit for a while, and use the oil off the top. Been running it a couple years now. Have not tried putting woodgas on top of the veg oil idle yet though - hope to try it soon William :slight_smile:

Good morning Brian,

I had already hauled 20-30 bags to the barn before the picture was taken.

Each bag should get the Dakotas about 25 miles , the V-10 about half that.

I think I have over a hundred sacks of the sawed oak.

Hi Wayne and Mike; I finally got around to weighing my chunks a level bucket is about 17lbs mostly mixed hardwoods, this includes the weight of the bucket.

I stopped at a cabinet shop on the way home tonight and found a source for kiln dried hardwood cut-offs. I brought home 7 barrels full, and there’s about 20 more! They are only 3/4 in. thick and some are a little long, but I can re-cut them, and sort out the little pieces when I bag them. I think I can now provide wood for anyone, (call first) who wants to visit SW Arkansas.

I will help you BBB.

2 Likes

Good job Carl! Now get you a fire breathing monster built and let us know how that stuff burns!!

Here’s a short video of a saw I already have. I would like to make a WK style chunker sometime.

Hi Carl, your saw makes pretty quick work of cutting wood chunks. What kind of wood are you cutting in the video?

Hi Ron, hope you’re not burning (the countryside) like we are here. That was some old dry mixed h/w pallet boards. I’ve been looking for some cull stringers at the mill, but they resaw & trim most to make deck boards. Truth is I don’t have any think wood on hand. I did locate a small one-man mill that will save me edger strips/slabs when he restarts this fall (cool weather) In the mean time I’m collecting piles of 3/4 h/w and pine.

cz

Hello Carl,

Thanks for the video. Look like you just sawed enough for 10 miles of driving in a little truck

I had to look a while to find this thread about making wood for our machines but I wanted to post a possible idea for storing and bagging wood for our trips. The other day I had a hard time pushing a storage cabinet door shut against too many plastic storage bags like groceries come in - and the thought came to me - why not use these for bagging wood for our trucks. I had a mixture of apple wood and pine wood chunks that I double bagged up and weighed and these 4 bagfuls totaled 42 lbs or about 13 lbs. a bag. These are smaller sized bags than what many use but I am thinking they will fit through most hopper lids intact, and then also get recycled into a little gas in the reactor. I like it that these bags have flat bottoms and stand up by themselves and have handles to pick up and carry 2 at a time with one hand. I can envision a small homemade elevator belt above a round fixture that the bags hang on and also keep the mouth of the bags open for easy filling and a series of spaced uprights against the garage wall with hook ears to hang these bagfuls 2 deep and 6 high for nice dry storage and ready to go. What do you think?
BBB
Don M

1 Like

Hey Don,

I’m right with ya. I like the small plastic bags than you can carry four at a time. Easy to dump in the hopper and if they are not filled full the top can be folded in and keep rain out.

If I am using pine wood I put 10-12 pounds per bag.

I have a lot of big bags but hardly ever use them.

Don,
You might run both handles of the bag through a piece of pipe then you can rest the ends of the pipes on 2x4’s up high.Then just turn the pipe to get it down, and you can use a rope on both ends and a pulley to help you lift it or just slip the bags off the end. It might make it easier to manage. You can also carry a lot more if you use the pipe as a yoke too!.. but you might need to be an ox to carry that many. :slight_smile: I used to be able to carry 4 5-gallon buckets of sap through the snow in the woods, I’m not sure I can do that anymore lol

Don,

Keep those bags out of the sun. I had feedsacks full of wood stored in a greenhouse for a few months, and when I went to pick them up they disintegrated in my hands. The UV light attacks the plastic. Long as they’re in a dark place you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

The wife and I have been chunking up a lot of hickory. It’s really some tough stuff.

2 Likes