Wood supply

Thanks, Steve, I will pick up a couple to have on hand. You never know. I do use The CSL Creosote Sweeping Log as recommended on the package. I also remove and clean the 4’ double walled 8" crossover pipe every year. Double walled pipe is required for installation no closer than 12". The back elbow will have some ash in the bend. The elbow at the stove has always been clean. Having this off allows me a view straight up the 28 feet chimney. I haven’t had a creosote problem since the SS install using this. You can never be too prepared.
Pepe

1 Like

Well Pepe and BillS up now at 3:00 AM local. Electirc furnace srting to cycle and full bladder woken up.
22F outside. 62F inside center hallway at the Honeywell furnace controller location. Outside nights ~38F and above and the 450 pound Quadrafire Isle Royal would have thermal carried through until a reasonable 6:00 AM.
Fire re-fueled and settling in now. 'Nother half an hour and then back to bed.

These “Chimney Fire Suppressent” are marked a CHIMFEX (R) brand.
Says for both fireplace and woodstove use.

Stay woodwarmed, guys
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

That’s the way in my opinion.
100 years ago almost every family house had at least one 1000 - 2000 pound tile stove + kitchen wood cooking stove. 60s and 70s nuclear development made people throw them out. Some even tore down their chimneis. Electric was the new “clean” way of heating.
Last 20 years the stoves are put back in. Old fasion tile stoves and cast kitchen stoves are modern and high status now.

But even the smallest wood stove can have added “flywheels”.
When I first started family 25 years ago we lived in a small summer cottage for 3 years around. I put in a small woodstove in the open fireplace. Extension exhaust pipe in an angle into the room and the stove dressed with loads of bricks and buckets of sand.
2 small children, the dog, my wife and me in the same bed we managed thru winter nights.
Summers were wonderful.

2 Likes

I have a small flywheel 400 lb Mama bear on a concrete floor with a brick wall. The bricks were pulled out from between the studs of an early 1800’s house near Coopersville, NY. The floor and wall nearer the stove are toasty before we retire.
Pepe

6 Likes

Yes thermal mass is a huge help. I have about aton and a half of masonry. In addition I have about thirty gallon milk jugs filled with water between the stove and masonry wall. My fire can be out all day before I even notice. When it is not real cold a day of fire will give a few days of warmth.

6 Likes

We have hundreds of tons of thermal mass in and under our concrete house. 430 tons Limestone under three stories of concrete walls, floors, ceilings and the roof. At sundown today the interior was at 72 F, and it will freeze outdoors tonight. By sunrise, the temperature will drop to 66 or 67, with no heating devices running, and just some residual heat from a small woodstove in the basement that has been running all day. The foam insulation in on the outside of our house, so the thermal mass is inside. Hot in the summer, cool in the winter! We just made a short video of me smashing wood…

I can use these small pieces in my TLUD stoves in my outdoor kitchen, or as fire starter in the morning.

7 Likes

Ray,
If you want a video link click the cursor right before the ‘http’ and make it go to the next line by pushing ‘enter’

Is this what you meant to say, Ray?

1 Like

Yep. Once the thermal mass gets hot, it stays that way, and in the Winter, if a cold snap lasts longer than a week or so, it is impossible to get warm. We just have to wait for the sun to shine into the South facing windows. If the weather warms up, we sometimes open all the doors and windows and use fans to blow warm air into the house.
Thanks, Bill, for the hint on making the video link show up.

2 Likes

Last week I was cutting a blown down Oak tree into cookies (slices that I can handle, and split without a hydraulic wood splitter). As I was finishing up the last 3 or 4 feet of the trunk, my freshly sharpened chain started throwing black chips, and then became totally useless. This tree was on a fence line at my neighbor’s place, and years ago someone had wrapped steel fencing materials around the trunk. I never saw it! The Husqvarna is now patiently waiting for my attention…

Tomorrow I will stack all these cookies on pallets, with plenty of air space, and they should dry nicely. Three years or so ought to do it.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the chain. I know all about it. Right after a good sharpening is when I hit something. Nice wood.

1 Like

that’s what I hate about yard trees also you find the one thing screwed nailed wrapped or whatever from 50 years ago . and you are usually doing a favor :cry:

1 Like

I was sawing a poplar log that came out of a yard and sawed into a mule shoe right in the middle of the log. That made the teeth fly, the band ended up about as smooth on the front as it was on the back.
the log was about 16’’ diameter with no sign of metal in it.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: All about mule shoes

3 years ago I was milling for a friend. On the last 2 logs there were some old nails right in the center of them. Ran out of teeth even on my spare blade.

My blades have only 6 carbide teeth, wich is obviously not very common around here. The professional blade sharpening shop I engaged to replace the teeth use “per tooth pricing”. When I showed up with my blades I was met with a bird house face expression. They probably didn’t make a profit :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

I have been doing some sawing in big timber . I hate having big boards and ripping them into 2x4s or 2x6s. :confounded:

Having to manhandle green 2x18s and 2x20s is about all old folks like me want to handle.

The waste from each log should be good for 200-250 truck miles :grin:

13 Likes

Good evening Wayne,

Wow, 20" is wide! I know the “hate ripping” feeling.

My mill does only 12" widest - double cutting.
Made a few 12" boards a couple of years back, only because I could. Never used them though. But they’ve been moved around a lot - from one pile to another. The ones I need are always in the bottom. Board pile logistics is a pita.

Now days I never go wider than 8 or 9" and most get 4 or 6". I’ll do the wide ones when I need them. Only problem is I have to come to think of it almost a year ahead.

I hope you get use for yours before you end up chunking them :smile:

5 Likes

That sure is some nice looking lumber there Mr. Wayne.

2 Likes

Thanks brother Jim .

The old saw mill is running as strong as it was 17 years ago but I have needed to drop a gear or two :confounded:

3 Likes

Hi guys, urgentcareguy3 inquired via email about more detail about my “chucker” but I couldn’t reply so hopefully here it is!

4 Likes