Wood supply

Sorry, I didn’t realise. Go to (2.5.2 Design…) Anyway, that’s the one I commented on.

1 Like

This year’s tally is 5 face cords of hardwood; mostly maple, and 2 face cords of softwood mostly pine… based on passed years that will be enough for even a hard winter.

8 Likes

Hey David. I also always plan for a hard winter just in case. Are you having to brush your chimney during the winter to counteract the use of pine?

1 Like

No not really, I use the softwood for a fast hot fire in the mornings. I do sweep the chimney every fall but never get anything but flakey light stuff. It’s those smoldering fires that cause all the problems that and wet wood I think.

5 Likes

Early morning wood consumption calculations:

During the past mounth I burned

2000 pounds for heating/hot water/cocking
Saving 150$

200 pounds for driving
Saving 150$

Conclution: I’d better do some more driving :smile:
BBB

7 Likes

Good morning JO.

Years ago I paid for my farm selling wood at $27 a cord ( 5700 pounds ) delivered to the mill 15 miles away.

Now days I use that cord of wood to put my truck down the road a LONG WAY !!:relaxed:

BBB

10 Likes

Hi mr. Wayne
What is the price of firewood now over the pond? Here a cord (4m3) of beech is sold for about 250$ and oak for 200$.

2 Likes

Hello Kristijan.

I think a cord of oak wood cut into firewood lengths and dried would sell for about $200 if you could find a buyer . Very few people in my area heat with wood anymore .

The wood I mention above was poor quality and not fit for saw timber . Hauled in tree lengths and green . Back in the late 80s and early 90s I was glade to get the $27 a cord. I think now the same wood sells for about $50.

3 Likes

Someone was WAY too impatient on getting their logs down to chunker size…

4 Likes

Cheaper than a membership at a fitness club is cutting wood chunks
I cringe a little as I cut up this kiln dried wood but it was free for the taking from a construction site dumpster. Got a 3000 lb load this summer and have been converting it into fuel sized pieces
The 90 lb 6" X 8" timber is cut into 3" lengths then hand split into 2" chunks

10 Likes

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Love to see the waste become the waste not.

3 Likes

Got my blade(s) mounted on my axle. Just need to sharpen/shape the blade, find a sturdy-enough frame/anvil, and get my old riding mower engine going again. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Looking good
Were those blades originally a diamond saw?

3 Likes

Looking great, how are you going to mount the two blades together? Will you cut the “snail” shape and weld the edges tigether?

3 Likes

My plan was to cut one blade with a snail a bit small, then use it to cut a slightly bigger snail in the other disc (my plasma cutter tip is 1/2 inch from the edges of the “standoff” so the second snail will be a 1/2 inch bigger if I trace around the first snail.) This would give a 2-bevel edge, similar to the fancy Fiskars splitting axes, which I’m hoping will cause the chunks to split themselves with the grain as it’s being cut.

I’m curious, could I use my mild-steel MIG welder to join those discs near the second bevel/edge?

I also have a smaller piece of 1/4 inch steel plate that I’m going to bolt to the outside surface to help with rigidity and act like a “washer” for the bolts.

I got them from the scrap pile of an equipment rental place. I think they’re made to cut concrete like these…

5 Likes

Great idea!

As for welding, you risk makeing the blades brittle.
I usualy go with inox electrodes when welding hard steel. I dont know why but they seem to heat the material less. Allso l weld every material of less thain 2mm thicknes with inox. It tends to mske less burnholes. I am talking about stick welding, l havo no experiance with tig.

7 Likes

Hi Brian, preheat, and post heat is how I have always welded hardened steel. I have welded lots of leaf springs this way. If you don’t have a oxy-acet. torch you could use mapp gas, or forge to heat to a dull red, weld then heat to dull red after weld. Let it cool slowly no water. Al

9 Likes

I have found that I can reshape not and reset the teeth on the bandsaw blades
I have been using 3/4" wide by 3 TPI blades and using a thin cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder just touch the back of each tooth to sharpen
Then clamp the blade in a vice and using a small pin punch and hammer , tap the teeth to reset them
Takes about 20 min and the blade cuts better than new

7 Likes

Something to consider for wood storage, and drying, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NEyzjnONQI

5 Likes

That’s pretty impressive! I wonder how much they cost, before and after shipping. I might be visiting family in Finland this spring; maybe I can stash a few in my suitcase on the way back…

4 Likes