Wood supply

There is the factor that sheer-cut wood seems to “breathe” better (due to fracturing) than saw-cut wood which affects gasification. They both have their pluses and minuses.

2 Likes

it looks almost like my wood splitter adapter al I have run a lot of wood through.

5 Likes

Nice setup, Paul. I see that your maximum branch diameter is established by that twin diamond size for about as large as you would want to feed your truck.

2 Likes

there is a video on my thread not a long one but it gives you the just of it and your right doug the largest I can slice is 3in plenty big for me I figure if it don’t fit its firewood.

5 Likes

It is a crisp 24F here this morning and neighbor has a couple of 100’ high 3’ dia cottonwood trees that are hazards
My son is coming to help and so anticipating some wood cutting for 2018 use
Will post pictures later

5 Likes

Tired, sore, but happy to have 2 trailer loads of wood, (maybe 2 cords?)
Now will have several days of splitting and stacking

`

7 Likes

Hi Michael,
Your pics came through as code. I believe each pic has to be on a separate line. Better yet is a bigger space so it doesn’t look crowded. At the end of my statements, I generally move the cursor down 5 spaces and then drag and drop the picture right there. Then move the cursor another 5 spaces for text or another picture. The pic code starts with this symbol < and ends with this one >

You can highlight the entire code expression and cut and paste it on any line you choose as long as it is by itself.
Hope I didn’t confuse the situation more.
Pepe

2 Likes

Michael, as a courtesy, I’m going to repost your photos. Hope that’s okay!

3 Likes

Thank you
I still don,t know what happened to the pics when I posted them?
Any way , the HF 5000 lb trailer winch could only pull the upper 25 ft of the tree
I measured the MC at 40%. That was some HEAVY wood!

1 Like

Wood splitter engine is slow starting on a 19 F morning, and so is my 69 YO bod.
I noticed that the wood splits more explosively though.

4 Likes

Frozen wood saws hard and splits easy. But yes getting out there to split it isn’t any fun.

2 Likes

In my area we are having a lot of pine timber dying. I think it may be because of the drought we had this summer and fall.

6 Likes

Those trees look about 50+ YO
But you have the good equipment for the work

1 Like

Sorry about your pines, Wayne. But it’s still a feel good video. Thank you. I love that kind of work. Makes me longing for spring.
I have the same problem with fir/spruce (still don’t know the difference). Can’t blame drought though. They get in bad shape fast and end up on the firewood pile, however most will go to waste. Gives the woodpecker some work.

2 Likes

Fur are softer then spruce by alot spruce makes a good 2x4 fur will not. Fur around here rots from the center out and don’t get very big maybe 6 inches. My uncle said it was a bacteria in the soil and that there is nothing that can be done for them they just don’t grow well here. Used alot of small ones for poles in the stall barn mixed results but cows are hard on everything.

1 Like

Spruce and fir are rated equally strength wise in construction tables graded generically as spf (spruce pine fir) ; but there are many types of fir… I have used what we call eastern fir milled to lumber and it is near identical to most spruce. It does seem to be lighter when dry somewhat but also less knotty. My humble opinions of course.
David Baillie

1 Like

Balsam fir timber is much softer than white or black spruce. Fir has flat needles that can’t be rolled between the fingers, and the needles are generally arranged in a flat plane. Spruce needles are fairly equally distributed around the twigs and are more square / rounded and come to sharp points at the tips.

Spruce tends to have rough heavier bark on the trunk, fir smoother. Balsam fir and possibly others have sap pockets / blisters in the trunk bark that can be popped with a pocket knife. Fir seems to live a shorter life, maybe 65 - 75 years, spruce in good conditions may live much longer.

Regards,

4 Likes

Nice vidio wayne on the loader hauling the wood, that is one big loader. are pines and popel trees up here in my area are up and dying from drought or aints, bugs ect, They say that drought weekens the trees, though it seems more random which tree dies too the root next.My neyber planted pines along property line about 16 years ago or just before i moved here and them trees are dieing at about 12-16 feet tall 10 feet wide.Saddly.I may just plant some hybrid popular for 5 or 10 year rotation for screens and firewood/fuel.

1 Like

Kevin,
There was a rampant infestation of the pine needle bug about 20 years ago. But most of the dead branches/trees I have seen are from the pine rust which is a fungus. drought conditions don’t allow the pine to grow to fight against it. It is really best to get the dead limbs off and destroy them so it doesn’t spread.

1 Like

Thanks guys! If I google fir and spruce they both translate to our “gran”. But from what I understand what we have here is spruce. Almost all our construction lumber is spruce. Pine is used mostly for interior and furniture.
Before I saw lumber I paint the ends of my pine logs. If they are free of nots and no bark it’s sometimes hard to tell if a board is pine or spruce.

1 Like