Wood supply

Neighbor called and wanted to clean out 60 years of stored wood scrap from a small barn
Bone dry and help with loading!

I am now getting a workout with the bandsaw and hatchet

17 Likes

Twitched out some firewood this afternoon. Sure was a beautiful day but still too hot, about 80°F I bet. I hope they are right about 50°F for next week.

9 Likes

Hello all.

Lately I have been chunking my wood a little bigger than I have in the past. Although it still has some chips and particles mixed in . I have put down about a thousand miles and have had no bridging and the trucks seem to have no change in power and performance . BBB

IMG_0202IMG_0201

7 Likes

I always thought the charcoal you came to Milwaukee on years ago was rather large,so not surprised you are getting away with larger wood. TomC

1 Like

Zig zag yarder:
http://www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/downloads/notes/Note117.pdf

Some plans for larger yarders:
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm08512W03/page06.htm

Enjoy.

Too nice out, later.

1 Like

There’s nothing as photogenic as an Alabama woodpile. I like it and I’ve missed them. Thank you!

I like the swing blade sawmill :smile:

2 Likes

This is the first afternoon that I had to work the new winch and drive train. I need my brakes back! Need an accelerator petal. Need winch controls all on the same side. Toggle winch brake works but I need to remove a lot of the teeth from the sprocket so it will be easier to lock. With too many teeth the toggle latch jumps out. Have to time it just right. Loaded the smaller stuff by hand. After the photo I used the skid steer to load the stuff that I could not pick up one end. I think next time i’ok use the skid steer to load the light stuff also. Need to build some kind of loader that is powered by the small skidder. Maybe something like two short elevators. Anybody know if a water pump could be turned into a motor. It would be a water hydraulic scheme. Not a winter time operation. :blush:

well, next week I’ll be in a big city, that sucks - I hate wasting time.

Cheers.

5 Likes

JeffD, water or even steam can be used for motors power. Has been done. Past the cold weather freezing problems is that they both do not actually lubricate any of the internal moving parts. Actually super squeaky too clean, then corrode. Why all of those old system had to have added steam(aqueous soluble) lubricating oil added.
Use your water pump as a motor moving a vegetable seed oil as a try-me.
Regards
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Or, maybe the jerker line scheme. Or just a pto. I got the winch to work with the charcoal engine and now it would be nice to get more work out of it. After all it is running while I am busting a few balls. Not that I will always need to load a trailer. I was working hand winching while the charcoal engine was running but not now.

2 Likes

Looks like fun !

9 Likes

Sounds to be out of tune. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A fellow Slovenian :slight_smile: There is a shifting stick on top of the gearbox so you can choose chunker blade speed/torq. Good idea!

5 Likes

I’m surprised that the tail end of the transmission holds up but he is cutting small diameter stuff. If there was a load problem a Jack shaft between the tranny and blade would solve that.

3 Likes

And it doubles as a musical instrument

3 Likes

The sound of a musical "Wood Supply " symphony.

2 Likes

I will have to build one of those for my pasquali once I get it back together… I love those little tractors they are so usefull.

2 Likes

Good morning all.

The homemade band mill is still working good :grinning:

Now I need to figured out something to build .

IMG_0203IMG_0204IMG_0201

16 Likes

You could sell that nice lumber and build something out of the slabwood. :blush:

2 Likes

It looks like you will be busy for a few minutes turning that pile into your new what every you build. Good thing is you have time to figure that part out while it dries… lol.

2 Likes