Wood supply

Gotta love a Mazda truck for carrying loads way beyond the official rating…

3 Likes

Beautiful work. I saw this slightly older approach on my last Africa trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7hNUHjeTA

3 Likes

Ended up doing the additional firewood on site in the woods with only chainsaw and splitting axe since storages back home are already full. The weather was nice, so amusement, excercise and a month worth of firewood for the price of… well, almost nothing.

15 Likes

Got new blades for the mill and ran hoses out to the mill so I can pressure wash the logs. After the showers stopped I was able to get one log cut then new blades are night and day better. It is so much fun to saw out boards on a nice working mill. It is just too cool to look at the boards and think just a few minutes ago that was a long and now I have all these usable boards.

15 Likes

I finished my fire wood for next winter today The wife and I stacked the last of it after supper to night.I had pneumonia last winter and it left me on oxygen because also have c.o.p.d so I bought 6 4 by 4 by 8 bundles of ash slab wood and cut it to stove length.Got a oxygen tank with 25 ft of hose strapped on to a gulf cart . That let me move around enough to get it done .That blinkity blank hose was tangled up so much I thought I was in one of those old silent comedy movies,but somehow I added a couple of new words to my vocabulary .Any how we got er done.

7 Likes

I admire your additude. Too many people would let that tank stop them from getting out there and doing things. Life is much more enjoyable if we are stubborn enough to stick to it and get the job done.
While I can’t claim to understand your limitations I have delt with arthritis since I was about 15 and there are days when it is bad enough i want to just sit it out but I try my best to push through and do what I need to do as well.
Congratulations on a job well done. I am embarrassed to say my wood shed is empty. But I did finish planting my garden today.
I have gotten a couple more logs sawed as well to make a deck for my trailer I will have the new deck on it before haying season starts in a few weeks.

4 Likes

Dan , Thanks for the kind words . I know arthritis is really painful I just pray that I won’t get that .Well I did not plant a garden this year . I think doing the wood helped build back a little strength and stamina .Don’t be embarrassed about a empty wood shed I think you have a lot more to do than me .I am 75 retired and just realizing that I can’t do the things that I use to do or sometimes want to do .I have only 10 acres and no animals so its not a lot to keep up we have burned wood
for 14 years down state and 19 years up here after I retired .We really enjoy the wood heat . Good luck with your trailer project .

4 Likes

Hi Larry, good work on getting your winter fuel cut and stacked all ready .

You mentioned that your on oxygen and have c.o.p.d , , there was a story on tv about 2 weeks ago and they have just passed the use of a new inhaler for suffers of c.o.p.d and other related problems it may be worth talking to your doctor and see if it could be of benefit to you , its called a “Ellipta inhaler” its only just been passed on our Australian medicare , so knowing how things work maybe you guys in the states have aleady , they showed some people that now use it with great results over here .

2 Likes

Dave And Brian Thanks for the information about Ellipta inhaler. I will ask my doctor about it .I’m not sure we will have it yet. We are usually a few years behind the rest of the world in medicine.So tell us whats happening in Australia these days ,Haven’t heard much lately.

Hi Larry , as far as whats happening in Australia with this Ellipta inhaler from what i remember is it had just gone through testing with very promising results and mentioned that it was reducing hospital admissions , they had a long time sufferer with c.o.p.d on the news story and he said it had changed his life and now feels better than he had for years .
found this on youtube for you .

Brian,Dave thanks for the information .I diden’t realize it but I am all ready on it .It is called Breo in Michigan. Ellipta is right next to it in small print along with the amount of the dose .I found that out this morning when I took my meds. Anyhow thanks for your concern .I think I should have asked what are you guys doing these days? They are building a new chip board plant about 60 miles from me and I hear that slab wood and other by products of saw mills might get scarce around here once they start up.I guess I’ll be out looking for some smaller mills to try to find some that will still be selling to the public next year .

1 Like

Hey Larry well good to know your getting the best up to date treatments for your condition i hope it helps you a lot more compared to the older style inhalers . I am going to see my doctor next month and see if i can get on it as i am starting to struggle since my bout of pneumonia i got a few years back .

Same sort of thing happened over here a few years ago , we have paper mills and wood pellet mills pretty close and they export hundreds of tonnes a week to Europe , the local market does not even get a look in , infact i needed a few bags of wood pellets to try out on a gassifer i had built and had to pay $1 a kilo , buy in bulk and the cost comes down to around $800 , soon gave that a miss and bought a pellet mill for us to play with . but we are pretty lucky as we live in an area that is surrounded by state forest and tree’s blow down every day of the week here , no more hand splitting though we bought a splitting cone to go on a small excavator so can split large sections of timber so we can use our smaller saws easily now .

Hi all, been researching different trees. Found there are some where around 25 species of poplar trees. The ones we have are white poplars, which are considered hard wood. Here is a picture of what we have. Would like to see pictures of what others have.

2 Likes

The old timers around here always said popular takes paint well. It is a softer hard wood and not much good for fire wood. But I have used it for post and beam construction with good results. I cut a popular tree once which was blown over and looked dead. I cut into it and found it was solid so figured what the heck. It was soaking wet and I sawed some nice beams out with an Alaskan chainsaw mill. Then I got done a friend in his 20s told me that tree had been there down for close to 2 decades because he played on it as a small kid. Blew my mind I didn’t see any top on it and the root ball was half out of the ground.

2 Likes

Not sure what species of poplar we have here in Washington State, but it grows to over 80 feet. The roots will come up and start more trees. Some what evasive in it’s growing. They use them for wind breaks. There is another species they use here, that is more bushy like and does not have the height, It seems to be more orchard friendly.
Bob

1 Like

Sorry Al, no poplar here. I read they are planted in parks in southern parts of the country.

Now I found more info; Ours are not white poplar, they only gave the botanical name Liriodendron which maybe ‘‘yellow poplar’’. When you saw it there is a lot of green color in the boards. They also said the trees we have are not really poplars. Who knew. I just really like it for lumber. There are barns here built with it that are 100+ years old. Turns a nice grey color, and gets very hard.

3 Likes

We have a few vorietys of poplar too. This one is concidered a weed. Its called “catwood” here. Grows incredibly fast, produces useless wood. It burns but is so light you need to have someone standing by the boiler to feed it :smile:

The red leafed stuff is the poplar.

5 Likes

Ha, like in the military service. One person always awake. Not to look for enemies but to feed the tent stove :smile:
That’s an interesting hay cutter you have there. Is that like a walk-behind tractor?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m curious too… looks like an old BCS 622.

In the States we call that “gopher wood”… throw it in the stove and “go for” more.

5 Likes