Wood supply

Yeah, Usually they like to burn or bury it because a lot of times the prunings will have various diseases in them. It is the same thing I ended up with a large brush pile i needed/wanted to get rid of. If it sits for a year or so, it is pretty easy to break up by hand to put in the 55 gal drum.

5 Likes

Bob, there won’t be any charcoal when burning the prunings, unless they work the pile and shovel the charcoal at just the right time into an air tight container. I have made quite a bit of charcoal in open flame. TomC

5 Likes

A pile that is that big will have to be burned in the winter time with snow on the ground, or they will have to have a water supply to control it. They have not burned it in 30 years so I think it will be around for a while.
Bob

3 Likes

Bob please tell me you have talked to someone about this before just picking these up on someone else’s property. As a land owner and farmer I can assure you it doesn’t go over very well when people don’t ask first.

2 Likes

Yes I always ask first. We have highly inforced no trespassing laws here in Washington State. No fences or signs needed, if it not your property get permission first. I help the cherry orchard manager keep a watch on the orchard next to me. They have had equipment stolen in the past.
Bob

7 Likes

I had a day off from work and found some free cut cottonwood rounds about 7 miles away
BIG ROUNDS! My HF hoist could barely lift them, 4 full 5 ft3 wheelbarrows after splitting the first one.
Having a cup of coffee and planning… resting in my recliner

4 Likes

16 Likes

Tough splitting that cottonwood I’ll bet, unfrozen.

An amazing tree. It grows from Manitoba at least to northern Mexico, and I’ll bet a lot further south than that.

1 Like

Wait a minute Michael. Have you shown us this thing before?
I’m going to speak on the behalf of at least one other person on this site. I think we deserve a video of how you operate your Log Lifter 2000. It looks like some of us can benefit from this. My back feels better just seeing it.

2 Likes

Man splitting those big chunks you earn the wood. I try have done plenty of them myself but am alway happy to get down to the smaller parts of a tree.

2 Likes

HF part #61522 $150 they also reference 60731 looking to see if I have a coupon. But Michael has an electric winch on his which ups the cost

3 Likes

This video from 3 yrs ago while i was still building my gasifier

I have made a spring loaded round grabber that is shown in the recent pictures
1” pipe telescopes inside 1 1/4”

8 Likes

Good morning all.

The last couple of days I chunked some wood and have it under the shed for drying .

I don’t know how much wood is here but many miles and smiles :grinning:

IMG_0661IMG_0663

11 Likes

What’s that white stuff on the ground? Was there a spill of talcum powder? :wink:

Or is it just frost, or the shine off the grass?

1 Like

No frost this morning . It has been raining for 2-3 hours and looks like a good day to use some of the wood .

3 Likes

Minus 28C in Winnipeg yesterday morning, that’s definitely winter…

-18F…

3 Likes

Sorry but I have no comprehension .

3 Likes

And lucky for you…

Although, come to think of it, we have no copperheads… :wink:

5 Likes

I have to say if my choice is -18F during the winter or 110f in the summer I will take the cold I can always toss more wood in the stove. But around here so far I have been holding right around a low of 2 to 20f with days up to 30s I keep hoping Gary keeps the colder stuff up there he can enjoy the ice fishing I don’t need it.

2 Likes

I live in southern Indiana and occasionally go into a local Amish store and they have some really good stuff. I don’t think that they are that strict but they are certainly interesting

4 Likes