Wood supply

Yeah, I will want to use the pallet wood because it is virtually free, and firewood is where I live sometimes almost $300 per cord! Pallets are already between 1 and 2 inch thick wood, the size of the chunks would be perfect. Thanks, Tyler.

3 Likes

The only other thing, is try to vary the size of the chunks, particularly if using sawn lumber, this will help keep it from packing too tight and not flowing in the hopper.

1 Like

Since my name was mentioned I could add the chainsaw I used was an electric one, which I hooked up to a lightswitch footpedal. I used it occationally for a couple of seasons until the nose sprocket wore out.
Could be the cheap electric saws are not as good quality. Not a problem with a gasoline saw, which has spare bars available. I think one could live with the cost of changing out the bar prematurely :smile:

4 Likes

For sure, with the pallets I could vary the size pretty easily. Just like wayne said, I would be better off just using a table saw or chainsaw. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

A neighbor brought me a tandem trailer full of old pallets he had used for animal pens. I smashed them up, and put the thicker pieces (with all the nails) into my charcoal making barrels, and once they are charcoal, the nails are easily removed on a screening tray before the charcoal is put into the grinder. I used a large maul to smash the whole pallets, and recommend a helmet with face shield for safety. Here is a short You Tube video my wife made of me smashing up some unpainted long leaf pine boards from a demolished house using a 4# Fireside Friend tool. The trick here is to have the board FLAT on the stump before smashing off the end piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eMYCP0vXY
That video was 3 years ago, and all the wood shown is no longer there, and the yard is nice and clean (except for a much larger pile of charcoal waiting to be processed).

4 Likes

Some people like solid nosed bars.

1 Like

Found a dump truck rear axle for a future chunker build. But this is the contraption I’ve been using until then

22 Likes

That’s just plain awesome!

6 Likes

Wow I like it. You can have miles of wood to burn in just a few minutes of time. Love the wood cutting action build and how it works.
Bob

4 Likes

That is one well made uniqe wood cutting machine, true mother of invention wood smithing man. THATS A COOL MACHINE .

3 Likes

That is a well designed chunker, very little flywheel action and that motor looks like less than 1 HP
WELL DONE

4 Likes

Impressive machine, Kev. Makes me smile ear to ear.
It’s always stressfull to get wood chunked before it dries. This is certainly a way to get around that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words I thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

7 Likes

Hello Kevin

What the others above said .

Thanks for the video !

4 Likes

Kevin, That is the best chunker I have seen that can use almost anything that fits in the wood drop box. If I get a chance, sometime since I am in Washington county, wi, I could come see your setup and truck. If that’s okay with you of course. Summer is the best bet, I really just don’t get around to doing things like that. I would love to see your truck, but I will see it at Argos before I can arrange something to meet up. Thanks for the video. Tyler.

3 Likes

We will see you in Argos. You are going to be in awe of what you see there👍

3 Likes

I will only be able to get there possibly very late at night Friday, then Saturday and Sunday, but I have much to look forward too! Thanks, Tyler.

3 Likes

That is the nicest machine I’ve seen in a long long time ! ! !

3 Likes

I know my memory is bad, but have we had an introduction to Kevin DeLonay. He has an awesome machine for chunking wood. What does he need it for. TomC

3 Likes

Hey @kev Kevin DeLonay, show a picture of the cool truck I got pleasure to ride at Argos last year. Tom I don’t think he has a building thread for his truck.
Bob

2 Likes