Woodgas 2020.....AGAIN!

That was the easiest part getting to go down hill.
Bob

10 Likes

Just a side note on the popular tree that I am talking about.

These tall trees are used for wind breaks around orchards in our area. They are no good for lumber. I am sure the wood is of a softer type of popular species.
I have used it but never on a long trips and I have been mixing it with my cherry wood that is a very hard wood.
So if anyone comes by for wood for now on they will get 100 % cherry wood for their truck or car.
Jakob is a Master Seasoned DOW Driver (MSDOWD). I have learn so much watching and helping him on this historic trip around the USA. You just can’t get this by reading books. You have to be a doer and builder to get this kind of knowledge. The design theory and the math is great on paper, but also doing the building is in my opinion better. Getting to be around others who are doers is why we have these Wood Gas Meet Ups.
If you have not been to one try to find in the area where you live. Or find other wood / charcoal gasifer people with like minds of gasification and start one.
Bob

11 Likes

We are east of Bismarck ND.
Just stopped for fuel up . It is running well since the leak was fixed. We crossed the Missouri river.

8 Likes

https://youtu.be/l6c10Glh70o

12 Likes

The other “coincidence” is two more cylinders coming back on line. The oil consumption will be an interesting diagnosis.

6 Likes

Jakob, you were climbing some high passes very steep grades going through the Rocky Mountains and over the Continental Divide. You are back in the rolling hills now. Might not use any oil now.
Bob

4 Likes

Just got off the phone talking to Jakob, it is 04:00 pm. They are a few miles outside of Fargo the (blue pin) on the map. They still need to go to Duluth the (red pin) on the map and then travel north to Brimson where Bill lives.

Bob

8 Likes

that looks like one boring , empty place.

5 Likes

It is a lot of open space The Bad Lands of Dakota that is for sure. Been through there a few times.
Bob

4 Likes

The gas station that said Loves on it was interesting. Around here they say Bend over and quit complaining.

The Black Hills are pretty interesting. You were north of those.

5 Likes

When I was in Montana I found regular gasoline at $3.13 per gallon. Back home just add $0.50 or more to that price.
When driving and hauling wood my fuel mileage went up to as high as 19.5 miles per gallon. I have not see those numbers in years. Thank You Yehovah All Mighty God in Yeshua Name. That was a big Blessing for me. He can do anything even give me good gas mileage on this old Dodge Ram truck.
Bob

7 Likes

jakob is still trying to make it to bill’s place tonight. late night. so probably news tomorrow.

8 Likes

Ok guys sorry for not talking earlier.
We are at bill’s. We have spent the morning working on the truck. Going to test drive here soon. I will hook up the computer to wifi later and post more details and pics.

8 Likes

The North’s made it North. Sometime around 1:30 AM.
A little maintenance was required. I also made sure they had syrup in their truck when they leave.

17 Likes

That is the best way to work on the hot leak Jakob.
That is a beautiful and sweet picture,
Bob

9 Likes

Grandpa Ken is in his usual “overseer’s” position, But I’m not sure Jakob will be able to use a T190 that has such pretty tracks on it. The one he normally has at home has not nearly as nice rubber.

SO the post about test drive means that it is back in the truck I suppose?

Ya’ll missed apple cider making day. 25+ gallons from the one tree out front. Muscadines and scuppernongs are ripening as well. Chinese chestnuts are almost there too. Looks like we’re back to “spring-time” ice routes now. Gambled on the weekend and it seems to have paid off. No 2nd runs last week except Piggly Wiggly…YAY! Luke says that means you can come home now. LOL.
Ya’ll left in the heart of summer and are going to make it back in fall. Weather is changing here. Not getting to 90 degrees much any more.
You’re making good time across the north. Looking forward to more pics and vids.
Wish we could all be up there visiting Bill’s place. I guess the pic above is proof that it’s not ALL snow and polar bears. :nauseated_face:

12 Likes

Wanted to put a note here for anyone following along with Jakob’s progress who may not be a Premium member of DRIVEONWOOD. There are more pictures and information about the technology and Jakob’s repairs etc. available on the Premium side of the site that Jakob has not posted here because it would not be fair to Wayne and the others involved in DOW to post it out here on the “free side”. If you are interested in the content, the Premium membership is well worth the price…best thing available on the subject anywhere in the world I do believe.

9 Likes

Billy, I don’t think your kids want to leave. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Everyone deserves a few days of rest Bill, it has been a lot of hard work to get to your little piece of paradise that you two have built.
Bob

7 Likes

Yesterday was a very long hard day. The wood was using from Bob and Mike was creating a lot of small charcoal and fines. I was having a problem with everything plugging up. If it wasn’t the heat exchanger it was the hay filter. I finally got to the point where I had to do a hot ash dump because it wouldn’t loosen up. I found a good spot on the side of the road cleaned it out. I had just crossed into Minnesota at that time. Other than that problem it was a normal long day.
Today we had a lot of fun. We slept in a little till 7 am since we didn’t go to bed till about 3 am. Mary cooked us some sausage and pancakes which we ate with maple syrup.
:grin: :grin: :grin:
We toured around Bill’s place and saw the operations of things. This place is AWSOME!!
We pulled the gasifier in one piece today with bill’s skid steer. It is the same size as ours but it is a much more loaded machine. It does have much prettier tracks than mine lol. We got it put back in and another cleanout done on it.
During the day it is very comfortable, even hot, at night it cools of a lot.
Glad that cider making went well. I will be home as soon as it can. Tomorrow we are planning on heading to the border to complete the last objective other than coming home for Woodgas 2020.
signal-2021-09-12-214531-1

signal-2021-09-12-214531
signal-2021-09-12-214531-2

signal-2021-09-12-214531-4
signal-2021-09-12-214531-9
signal-2021-09-12-214531-22

I had to do a cleanout with it hot in just east of Fargo ND. I found a Good sand pit to do it in.

A few pics of fixing the truck today. I found the air leak and what ti was. I forgot to weld a spot. With my first door made with silicone and stove rope it covered this gap so it sealed. When I replaced with the ammo can the morning i left i had smeared some silicone over it not knowing it was there and that is what had been holding it the entire trip. I forgot to take a pic after i welded it before i taped it.

KIMG1896

KIMG1897
KIMG1898
KIMG1900

KIMG1904

A few pics of refueling.

Well We obviously made it into Minnesota

signal-2021-09-12-214531-14
Bill and i spent a few hour this evening working on his charcoal unit. We made it make good gas but having trouble with the engine, I think, we will hopefully try again tomorrow.

While Bill and I were working on his unit Naomi was playing with a Lichtenberg Fractal wood burner that Bill made.

18 Likes