Woodgas for Generator from Pizza-Oven?

Maybe look at building a rocket stove. Im pretty sure Ive seen one actually.

3 Likes

Welcome to the site Andre. I was amused by your mention of artificial clouds. I thought I was the only one here aware of such things. :crazy_face:

I’m not visualizing how your oven is being set up in your basement so pictures will be useful but before Matt mentioned it I was going suggest looking at designing the oven around a Rocket Mass Heater. No charcoal production from it, but the best way to capture heat. The one in my greenhouse produces up to 600F in the barrel and by the time it exits the greenhouse the flue is between 70 and 80F. The wood heater in my house is designed to absorb as much heat as possible and a blazing fire leaves my flue at 200F. Just as the masonry your oven is made from holds useable heat for a long time you just have to make mass around your flue to capture that exhaust heat.

4 Likes

Hi All
I am directing you back up to Andre’s first statement of purpose post as he has edit added a picture.
Good. Good. Andre you are discovering the capabilities of the DOW site set-up.

TomH, I did go back up and re-read his post because reading yours and the last few preceding it I’d thought maybe I had gone off topic just directing him to engine fuel grade gas making.
No. No. His using-wood-for-fuel he now needs to make electricity to supplement is now inadequate PV solar.
I think he knows well already now how to make heat from wood.

Again Andre making later energy releasing capable engine fueling gases out of wood requires doing this as a very controlled starved oxygen multi-step process in an enclosed environment when are going from raw wood to engine fuel gases. Basically all heats you generate doing this are best directed back into this turn-wood-into-electricty multi-steps process.
And I do mean guys every bit of heat. You mobile guy have no choice with size and weight limitations but to blow off gas cooling/cleansing heat. Blow off and waste away the majorities of the IC engines rejected heats.
Stationary power these can ALL be used to improve the wood before going into the gasifier.

Northern hemisphere it is now cold and wet. All outside woods are now cold and wet.
I am at the last 30% of last summer dried covered stored dry fuel wood.
IF I was dependent of wood for 7-9 months of my low solar time of the year for gasifer/engine made electricity then the gasifier - filter train - IC engine and generator MUST be able to condition and improve for use it own picked up wet wood. Good news. It can. Their is enough drying and condoning heat energy to do this. IF designed and managed for.

Andre charcoal gasification indeed is much simpler on the gasifier engine fuel making step. The separate steps to converting wood to wood charcoal having been done separately.
Wood charcoal is best made for sun dried wood. It is a whole another level up in difficulty and resultant low yield making wood charcoal from fresh cut, sap wood. Or winter wet picked up wood.

Sun and wind drying wood ahead make both ways easy.
Ha! The famous now wisdom: “The only easy day was yesterday.”
Meaning. Once you have used up yesterdays solar dried wood then if gets very hard and then the dig-down-capable really-doing guys separate out from the I-think, may-be, could-be, should-be, some-day guys.

All of the guys posting so far are these capable guys.
And the best have learned to not get Greedy and Idealist and keep their use wood for energy systems more or less dedicated separate to get the for-use best results.
Regards
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

@KristijanL @madflower69 , the idea to heat the oven indirectly via a wood gas flare, appears most efficient to me in this specific (my) case. Thanks for your help!!
I don´t know yet what type of flare and Gas-lines (temperature resistancy…!?) one should use in a situation like this, but i know that f.e. “forno Bravo” is building like this:

7 Likes

Good idea i think about that one too…

Hi Robert,
thanks for that further explanation…i need more time though to understand this chemical-reactions. Maybe learning by doing . I will read more…

But i understand now to limit oxygen or air inlet…

2 Likes

Would be the best option!
I builded a Rocket mass heater where i live now, its just you have to bend over 100times a day… :smirk:

but to combine a Pizza Brick oven with a riser and a Steel Barrel and such maybe would be possible.

i just think that the gases leaving the Pizza oven are way cooler than the gases leaving the riser of a rocket stove or rocket mass heater…

so i have no experience to tell if a pizza-oven /Rocket mass heater combo would run smokeless…but if i could tell i would build it like this…

I think this is the right place to learn from you guys and i am thankful for that!!

5 Likes

Well now Im hungry!! ,

5 Likes

I’ve had this thread in my bookmarks for a while now. These are all outdoor cookers but MAYBE the gasifier could be outside and the gases brought inside through a hose to the pizza oven. The flue pipe should exhaust outside so less risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

2 Likes

Here are some folks with the experience:

5 Likes

If you like slide show presentations, here’s one with a cameo by Dr. Larry:

6 Likes

andre´, welcome in the forum…this is our bread and pizza oven…needs much less wood for heating as a traditional brick oven…
it is a closed system in stainless sheet, with a space from4 or 5 cm to the stone wall…there circulates the heat

it creates no wood gas, but excellent charcoal for motor use, every bread baking about 20 liters…

in my topic about indoor cooking there is the description of a - at least - very relieable woodgas cooker…

16 Likes

Hi Tom, thanks!
thanks for your positive feedback :blush:
normally people are attacking me for saying or writing things like that :face_with_monocle:

Yes i am fascinated of the efficiency of these oven types too, my flue from the rocket mass heater is just slighly warm !

Good point to add thermal mass to the flue(entrance) !

this is a current picture. Plattform ready 110cm height

5 Likes

Thank you Giorgio!

Very nicely build! seems very efficient. Thank you for that inspiration.
you said every bread making takes about 20L of wood.
then after bread is ready, you are choking the air intake, i assume!?

4 Likes

Hi Brian,
yes, good advice, to have a or the gasifier outside and then to bring the gases to the oven. AND to connect a flue-pipe to the Pizza-oven as well much smaller in Diameter though…!?..i am thinking of standard Gas-ovens- these types of ovens don´t have any flue or exhaust, because all is burned up, but what about carbon monoxide in these cases?

thanks for the link of Kristijans Charcoal gas cooking stove.

4 Likes

Thanks Kent! Yes i like this slide show! Very Good inspiration!

3 Likes

This a live and let live site Andre. I promise you that no one says wackier shit than me and I’m still free to blabber. Nothing but helpers here.

12 Likes

andre, during the baking process, that needs about one hour, i take out the ready charred twigs -otherwise they transform to ash- and let the yet burning and half charred pieces inside, and give the new twigs on them, so i have no interruption of the fire…the bigger pieces need a longer time for charring, meanwhile the finer twigs are quicker ready…so i take aprox 3/4 part of the coal out before giving new twigs on…the ready coal i give in the milk can, with lid on, so the coal stops to burn further…very energy efficient i would say, because energy for coaling is used for baking the bread, and than remains in one year about a volume of 1000 liters of best and ready sized motor coal for my little engines…we bake every week…
a quick method for making motor coal from twigs from pruning trees and firewood cutting i have described in one of my topics…
Charcoal from twigs…simple, quick and effective without smoke - Small Engines / Charcoal Gasification - Drive On Wood!
30 years ago i baked with a bread oven made of bricks like this you like to build…it needs really a pile of wood to heat it up…yes, you have than during the whole day a oven with declining heat to bake several things, like kristijan described the traditional use…
but if you will make spontaneous some pizza or others, it has too much consume…and needs some hours to achieve the right heat…
so i decided, when making my bread stove, to make it in this way…
now i have the twigs all under a roof and take them with a fork, but before i have had the twigs in bundles , diameter 50 cm, lenght around 60 or 65 cm, pressed with the bundle making “machine”,bended with a string…from this bundles i needed only two for bread baking, no paragone to the traditional bricks bread oven…

11 Likes

Thanks Giorgio,
good advice. My wife and i are baking bread andsuch also every four days or so…at the moment in the thermal mass heater oven-thing…and we are also pruning our (little) trees we planted…every year we have more tree cuttings now.
So your efficiency in your system seems very high.
I will read through your topics.

8 Likes

Apparently Mulberry contains proteins that are anti-diabetic in it’s latex.

4 Likes