Woodgased BCS walkbehind

No need for a medal. Every woodgaser knows that every stroke of an engine not fueled by overpriced fuel is a award by its self.

I use the original carbourator. Its run my a rpm governour.

Steve, wife wuld rather see me burning petrol and spending the time it took me to woodgas it doeing sonething else, and sodomy is not to my liking so l think l will pass :smile:

True. I can imagine softwood charcoal being a pain in this situation.

14 Likes

So it seems to me either by skill or luck you design the system to run the perfect amount of time that as you run out of fuel, it is just time for the system to cool down. While refueling the light duty system cools of quick then ready for the next run. Very interesting and a neat machine. Well done!

11 Likes

Back in the days one farmhand sneaked up on another taking advantage of one of the cows. The farmhand watching started to laugh so hard he could hardly breath. When he recovered he bursted out: -Oh no! Why Rose! She’s so ugly! :rofl:

7 Likes

JO, thank you wery much geting this picture stuck in my head :smile:

7 Likes

Well there you go. KISS all the way. The water cooling as container is a great idea. If you use it in winter months it could have antifreeze for cooling.
5 nozzles 6" to grate that have 1/2" spacing. No restriction. I Like It.
Are you still sticking with the flute design on the truck? Mine likes damp charcoal to run on.
Bob

6 Likes

In this picture it looks like a bike tire pump is how they start this gasifier up, no batteries needed.
Bob

14 Likes

Bob that looks like a robust version of a manual mattress pump. Probably a double action blower! I have considered finding a smaller one for a bike build. With the old one I have, depending on which end you put the hose on you could pull vacuum or push air.

I’d want something smaller than this but at least you’d have leverage.
Texsport Double Action Hand Pump for Air Mattress , Yellow , 67 x 28.5 x 11.8 https://a.co/d/bxo7rS2

7 Likes

My foot pump pushes a lot of air. Blows up a air mattress quickly
Bob

5 Likes

Bob, the idea here is that this water cooler only serves as a safety feature. In case, for whatever reason, the gas gets too hot, it will dump the heat in the water cooler by boiling the water. Ha, l culd even put a steam whisle on as a sound alarm :smile:

But lf we talk efficiancy, l always wanted to try and make a water boiler right at the grate and feed the steam to the air intake. Burning wet charcoal is practical; no dust, no water metering, no freeze problems… but to boil that energy off is stealing heat from the reaction. If we use the excess energy from the hot gas to do this we boost efficiancy some, and we completely eliminate the need for a cooler. Future project…

Yes thats exactly what lm thinking to install. Double stroke air manual pump. Shuld start this tiny gasifier in a heartbeat.

9 Likes

Okay so below the charcoal reaction zone would be below the grate area. The gases are formed and need to be cooled down, so a water bath around in this area would benifit much. If it got hot enough to make steam it could be mixed into the intake air area. The extra steam would just go to the atmosphere. At refueling add charcoal and water if needed. I see this gas exiting out through a pipe through the water bath then into the filter and into the intake carberator. Is this your thinking of a easy way to cool the gases? The water would add some weight to everything.
Bob

8 Likes

Bingo.

Acording to the math l did a while ago, there is just enaugh heat energy in the produced gas to boil about the right amount of water to be all “burned” in the reaction.

Well, we are not talking gallons of water, baybee a small reseroir like a pint for my my gasifier, or a gallon for a full size gasifier. Each pound of charcoal will need about half a pound of water, and its not hard to top up the water tank as well when its time to refuel the charcoal.

12 Likes

Hi Kristijan, im not the expert here, but i have some technical papers about the Svedlunds gasifier, there are calculations saying the same, maybe heat more than enough, therefore Svedlunds gasifier adjusted the amount of steam somewhat by regulating the water level in their inline boiler.
Just confirming what you saying, should be a very good way to “automatically” adjust the amount of steam. :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Pump Is obviously simple to push air inside the gasifier. But as I saw, you need more gas to pull from it. And flare it when it come to an end. Little bit complex with hand pump.

And what about to install small dynamo and battery attached to the starter wheel? It seems that there are some rims for belt drive. You will have your battery charged at the and of each run.

6 Likes

This is a hobby exercise right? You are just fooling around right?
I ask because you are using a battery powered fan AND what looks like a butane (?) torch, AND a cigarette lighter as part of your life support?
I get the heavy life support if you are testing a theory.
Here are practical comments:
You can start the charcoal with a cigarette lighter if you temporarily replace the hopper lid with a smokestack. Basically turn the unit into an updraft to get it lit. I did this with the tractor when I had no batteries. I hand cranked the engine until it fired, then put the hopper lid back on.
The other idea is to use an exhaust venturi and pull the producer with the engine exhaust while running it on gasoline. I used this to pull moisture out of the top of my hopper with the tractor, and to start or prime our fire pump.

Also, very cool BCS btw, I have not seen one like that here. I like that sickle bar mower.

5 Likes

Kristijan, I saw somewhere some time ago, they sell there cheap plastic hand cranked blowers for blowing on a grill.
Oh! Found one. 10€. Price equals a gallon of gasoline.

11 Likes

Only downside is it would be annoying to use for vacuum. The push and pull pumps can be reversed.

4 Likes

Cody, I was hoping the inlet on the blower could be used for vacuum mode. Simular to the electric mattress blowers.

5 Likes

Goran, thank you for this. I did not know this was alredy done.

Kamil, truth is, most woodgasers only flare their gasifier on two kinds of occasions. The first timd they light up the new gasifier and when its time to demonstrate the sistem to someone else. In the later case it usualy doesent work :smile:
There is no need for a flare test on a dayly basis. With experiance you can smell when the gas is good. And lm not kidding, l have sniffed enaugh of the stuff to probably be able to print out a gas analisys sheet from a sniff of gas :smile: but then again it does show with that crazy brain of myne doesent it :wink:
Truely, good rich woodgas has a distinct odour. Sweet. Not smoky, kinda pleasant. Adictive. Pleasant, but toxic in the core. Like seductive women.
But in the end it all boils down to experiance with a certain sistem.

Yes there are many pulleys on the BCS. Not long ago, 50ish years, this was the powerstation of the farm. Many still hadnt had electricity at this point. This machine was used for everithing, with loads of add on tools like grain harvester (bundle wraper), hay fluffer, rake, it was even used to run apple mills, grain threshers, straw cutter, circular saw…
So, the machine is equipt to be ready for versitility.

I have thod about an alternator, but mainly to power some reflector lights as l sometime run out of daylight. Truth is, starting up this gasifier is fast and easy, althugh it stops fast, it also heats fast. There is no flywheal effect, no restriction to heat up, no firetube, just a fistfull of charcoal.

Bruce, you got me. Guilty as charged. See how luxury spoils people? I promise to do better in the future, l will ditch the torch and the fan, but l will keep the 3$ “zippo” fueled by whatever flamable liquid l find closest :smile:

JO, l have seen something similar before. I need to investigate if its well enaugh made to be worthy the extra bucks :smile: it sure is a compact solution thugh.

10 Likes

Well, if it’s a mowing topic, this video would fit here, this girl would be a tough competition for me, … in tudi Christianu :grinning:

10 Likes

That is a excellent workout. Uses all the muscles in the core.

Kristijan. It’s hard for most people to believe since they had electricity since the end of the eighteen hundreds but most rural areas, at least around here, were not powered. The Rural Electrification Act got side tracked by WW2 and it took a while to get things moving after the war. One good reason a lot of people moved into towns. I think life without electricity sucks.

12 Likes