Woodgased BCS walkbehind

Giorgio, thank you!

A litle update thugh, at the end of our hay harvest l started noticing problems with the BCS. It started to backfire every few minutes and then it wuldnt start again unless blown with the fan. Seems the backfire pushes all the gas out the sistem. It runs bad on gasoline too.

I rulled out any gasifier related problems, seems since the motor is old and worn out, either it has a problem with ignition or the valves need polishing. Probably both. I will be making a complete engine rebuild soon. Then it will run for a nother 30 years :smile:

Giorgio, l build most gasifiers this way. They are actualy true wood gasifiers, just without a restriction. Truely, if l need to, l can just install a reatriction ring in this gasifier and burn woodchips in it. I like that versitility and if a gasifier makes good gas from wood, surely it makes even better gas with charcoal!

15 Likes

thanks kristijan for answer, nice to have this forum for change experiences…

11 Likes

So is this gasifier built with one single nozzle?

2 Likes

5 nozzles, not sure if the grate moves or not but it’s rebar.

4 Likes

does anyone have a picture?

1 Like
5 Likes

thanks plus 20 character

3 Likes

Does anyone know where I can order that high carbon steel bits for the nozzles?

2 Likes

He used stone drill bits from Tone. Maybe look for a quarry supply.

I find piston wrist pins to be fairly high carbon, could double it up by welding it into some steel water pipe for replacement just in case it melts and wrench it out.

@Tone were the drill bits already hollow or did you bore the holes for Kristijan?

5 Likes

I have a set of cobalt steel bits that I use for hard stuff.

5 Likes

Looks like your nice far in the country, This must be a charco gasifier.? Just curious how much wood or charco refuel times mowing 2-1/2 acers.For the record. Neat tractor mower too.I see them at aution by my house all the time.

4 Likes

the drill bit has an original hole through which air blows during drilling and thus blows out the drilled material

6 Likes

Kevin, yes its a downdraft charcoal gasifier.

Hmm not sure, l live on a hill and the terrain is wery uneven with trees and paths to avoid to the work is slow.

Hopper holds a bit over 2 gallons and thats enaugh for about a hour of working, thugh l like to refuel every half hour. And drink a beer or a spritser while im at it :smile:

When l visited Tone last time l brought the engine head (its a flat head) with me and he lathed off a few mm, raising the compression of the engine. Next year mowing will be real fun :wink:

12 Likes

Jake, you dont realy need this exact material. Probably anything in this balpark will work, l think the key is that the carbon content is just about right.

I have found that mild steel with almost no carbon is bad in hot enviroments, as the carbon content grows it gets better and better but then start to get worse and by the time we get to cast iron at 3% carbon content the melting point is just about 1000c.

Even thick rebar might work ok… and tool steel certainly. Just remember to aneal it first or you will go trugh many drill bits…

7 Likes

Jaka, I think a piston bolt would be a good substitute for a drill

7 Likes

I was researching it last night. the most common thing I could find with the highest carbon content was either wrist pis like tone suggested or torsion bars I think they were 0.60% carbon. which is right on the line of mild carbon and high carbon. I like the idea of wrist pins because I can probably find them with holes already in them

How specific in size do the holes have to be?

4 Likes

Jakob, I know for a fact that General Motors wrist pins are hollow, and I’ve come across two sizes when I worked at the dealership: 12mm bore and 14mm bore. Maybe find a dealership and ask if you could buy some scrap from them. Far fetched but they might work with you.

4 Likes

Jakob, the drill bit has a 6 mm hole, is this the right size, but it depends on the construction of the hot zone itself,… I know that the piston bolts have holes of larger diameters, but it is not a problem to reduce it, you heat it to white and reduce it by forging to the desired size, I did this with my first gasifier

11 Likes

@KristijanL
How do you mix the water into your charcoal? how do you measure it?
Also what size charcoal are you using?

6 Likes

Hi Jake.

Just pour over the charcoal realy… to say the truth l do it by feel usualy but l guess it lands to about 20% water.

I use the usual engine grade size.

Edit; usualy my engine grade is everything smaller thain 3/4" minus dust

9 Likes