Woodgasifiers Builders Bible

KevinR in this book-system of BenP’s it is above all to be a system home-shop/garage buildable capable IF YOU FOLLOW THE PLAN EXACTLY that will be capable of being fired up, a few hours settled in and then go directly to loaded internal engine fueling.
Withe the physical size of it, and weight of it made of mostly thicker carbon steel propane tankage these "engines’ would best be stationary electrical generators, water pumpers, air compressors, whole-house AC systems, Ag tractors, smaller engined pickup trucks 4, 6, even small V-8 (in-bed), trailer towed behind gasifiers in the engine range Jess Davis recommended. Too big for walk behind equipment.

Yep. BenP says on this one OPERATED WELL an 8 to 1 turndown ratio.
His expensive, and super expensive all-stainless steel purpose built systems had up to twice that turndown ratio.
None of these were every really appropriate, designed for vehicle use.
VesaM’s all-SS units are. Heavy, heavy.
SS can be thin metals, weight reduced for vehicle use. Expensive metals then. And you will need a super welder equipment, welder-man, extreme gas-tight expansion jointing designing to not thermal expand/contract work-harden and SS panels, plates warp, wrinkle and gas leaks crack.

It remains very, very risky to Drive-On-Wood in most of Washington State. The four urban counties areas all have mandatory vehicle emissions inspections. They WILL see this - bust you for factory vehicle emissions tampering.
And in three of these four Urban areas the now programmed “greens”, tree-huggers will actually flag you down, report you, or traveling around throw car garbage at you. You . . you . . selfish planet/tree killer, you.
This is no-joke real. HAS happened.
Ha! I have always told BenP to shy away from vehicle gasifing while in Washington or Oregon or California states.
Move to Idaho, Montana to do this safely. Do this then without the insane-Now’ers Inciters from physically following you home, and putting every possible county, state inspector onto your ass to harass you into their vision of a kinder, gentler, cleaner, more inclusive world. No joke here. Been done to me.

BenP now again lives outside these intense urban areas.
We have a rolling 25 years old emission inspection exception clause.
This 65 Mustang of his is deep into “classic vehicle” registration and state special plates licensing.
Still . . . . going into urban area “showing & telling” . . .
Why the extreme effort to make this one competently unseen, discrete.

Kirstian, his cooler system on this stand a bit higher older system vehicle is long parallel tubes completely under the vehicle. Bound to be some ground clearance compromised.
This 2+2 (two adults, two children) Mustang “coupe” was only ever intended to be a good paves roads vehicle anyhow.
Same time preiod here Ford made ans sold longer wheelbased Falcon sedans and station wagons for small families. Vertually the same drive train. Made and sold their first generation Ranger short wheel based 4x4 for extreme roads and off-roading. Same factory engine family, too.
All "classics’ now too. Slice, dice, jack’em up as you please.

Hope this clarifies.
J-I-C Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Yes TomC he trained at a professionally sponsored trades school. Then worked as a welder/fabricator professionally up in the Puget Sound manufacturing areas of Washington State.
Boeing Aircraft. Kenworth trucks. Peterbuilt trucks. Iron ands steel work for Alaska all get done there.
Long history in the area of heeavy manufacturing for the Alaska gold rushes, fishing off of BC Canada/Alaska. History of heavy ships building for WWI, II, Korea, Vietnam. Long history of heavy ships and railroad rebuilding and repair. Plus building Seattle, Tacoma, regional infa-stuctures of refineries, pipelines and all other.
BenP gravitated over to the industrial and crafts professional metals Art areas.
He really does electric welding of nonferrous better that any I’ve ever seen.
The brass statues you’ve seen are not cast as one piece. Multiple pieces castings, then welded, and blended together.
He said that he never certified for Nuclear or pipelines welding. I never asked why.

Being so good can work against a fellow for showing others how-too’s.
I once drew up hand line drawn instructions how to loose leads install tapered faces starter contact brushed for assembly into GM/Delco Remy 10MT field housings. My Head-of-line final unit assembler said the sub-assemblers still were not getting them right. I’d self trained my self all positions on that line 7 years prior. Now back as full floor manager.
Ha! I am very left handed. Opps! Just needed to make up a second set of assembly instructions for right-handers.
I was about BenP’s age when I learned just how very, very, hard, hard work to cover all of the possible bases.

Now I think the real value in this revised book is his now inclusion-in-print on operating steps WHY’s, guidelines, no-no’s, always-do’s, check lists and such. These applicable to all chunked wood fed batch operated gasifiers.
WayneK’s “other 75%”.
Peace, brother
J-I-C Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Steeve you must live in the most comunist un run epa nightmare state. I know the wood burner for heating rules started over your way, maybe it will get better while trump is running the Gov.hopefully Though he is tied up with deep state sellers evey ware.

1 Like

I wish my dime bank was fuller when the bargine price was on. I think i have enough desine info between the inbert little car guys and Mr Ton C truck build. All been working and they all need maintaining, though it sure is good yoo be tuning in the fine tuneing, And sure am glad i bought the Wayne keith (HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL BOOK.) and website ,Thanks

7 Likes

Not to woory about me and the other Washington State guys KevinR.
A human nature thing here: IF you can find others worse off than you, then you are still doing O.K.
Hawaii. Hawaii. Hawaii. All out there alone with even more lucky loo-loo’s moving in and voting their beliefs. And no where to walk away to.
I’ve free-choice bicycled to Idaho. I could with time and real-needs urging, shanks-mare walk there. With no one able to stop me short of killing me.
J-I-C Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Helow steeve. i know there is pleinty worse off than me and that is allways true, i just dont want too settel for the over regulation non sence green peice liers.How far have you pedeled a bike you say. I probly went over board with the gov stuff, its what they want mad people penalize. Because of there satanic nature.

1 Like

https://www.motherearthnews.com/store/product/wood-gasifier-builder-s-bible

2 Likes

I got the WGBB e-book for my birthday :grin: ! Great book with a lot of pics. I really liked the pyrolysis accelerator idea. Great looking unit, and I was happy to see the use of high quality materials. Extensive heat recycling employed just like WK’s design. I have no plans to build a stationary unit, but I thought the book would provide some good design ideas which it certainly did! I’ve now been through both HWWT, and the WGBB several times each and still absorbing new info​:grinning:.

3 Likes

Hi All
From now on you will have to be using the MotherEarthNews book store to get Ben Peterson’s Woodgasifiers Builders book in paper.

Look on the Amazon listing and you will see that now for the 2nd time they are screwing over getting this book through them. Listing it for over a thousand dollars. Then listing it as unavailable used.
Amazon is home based in Washington state. They and the Microsoft principals moved here use their billions for much state level social forced engineering.
Yep Apple does the same in California.
Google in Georgia.
Facebook make the state wanting their datas centers jump through hoops to. Oregon now the latest dog being dragged along.

Should sometime become obvious to the most obtuse that the Left-winger Elite’s no more than the Right-winger Elites, do not want the common folk capable of making their own power independently.

still burning my own grow wood for heat in clean, Green Washington State
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

Oh. BenP says he will still send out PDF down load “books” as long as he can. Net de-nutralization may impact this eventually.

5 Likes

Yup, yup, Steve (they) the controlling (elite) wants us to be enslaved to (them) as always. (Evil people) never have good intentions in the end for mankind. History has proven it over and over again.
Bob

1 Like

There is an interesting book titled “Logic of Failure”. Read it three times. Through history stupid people have done more damage than evil people have done. An evil person needs a lot of stupid people to do their evil work.

8 Likes

And then maybe read Collapse by Jared Diamond, to examine how people as groups will follow leadership and their own short term goals to their own disaster…

5 Likes

Ben Peterson just put out an e-mail blast of his closeout of last remaining Victory hearths system parts.

The #1 Box collection is excellent at $150 usd.
The $97. usd machined screw-in nozzles and unique grate sifter linkage parts sets are a very good value too.
And I will vouch from personal use that the offered blower assemblies are the best to be had.

I have all of these already.
But . . . sure am temped to over-stock-up for friends gifts.
Ha! This info tell link is my gift.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

1 Like

So, I have been thinking, and I am young, but I had the idea for my first car to be run on wood gas, but I was running into the issue of, well of course, it is a community, not something you can simply find from a YouTube tutorial. It is an engineering masterpiece, an art form, to be passed on generations. So how would I go about making a fine machine like Wayne kieth? Thanks for y’all your support.

3 Likes

The community here is extremely helpful and generous. But in order to get the proprietary advice to make a guaranteed working system, (plus endless free experienced member consulting, truly endless), you need to buy a membership which comes with the builder’s book.

Huge value, as a project like this is bound to take double the time expected, and the community is very helpful and amongst the best examples of a long term online forum. In terms of gasification I’d say best knowledge base in the world.

Regards,

9 Likes

Tyler, welcome to our group. As a Newby, l think you have come to one of the best places to LEARN about wood gas. You can look through the titles of the threads, pick the ones that sound like the project you plan to under take, and read through the entire thread. I woud say, each thread will contain some unique information.
Garry is as usual absolutely correct. If you want to ‘‘jump right in’’ and start building a wood gas vehicle, Mr. Wayne’s book is the best place to start. He will start by recommending what to look for in a vehicle and end up suggesting how to operate the gasifier. This system has been built by I can’t say how many people, but it is enough, that many of them bring there pride and joy to a convention in Argos Ind.once a year.
Having said all of that, there are other paths you can take where you will have to study and be a little innovative. There are gasifier that run on wood and then there ours that run on charcoal. In the end you may decide to build a WK gasifier, but I would suggest you build a charcoal Simpla-fier (?) that is well described in one of the threads. Charcoal takes more wood preparation ,but the gasifier will be much, much easier to build and with in a weak, you can be running a small gas engine on wood. 80% of wood gas is no ‘‘building’’ but learning how to run an engine . I hope this will help you get started on a very addictive subject. TomC
PS, I just realized that this thread is prompting another book. This book is more about stationary engines. For vehicles, make sure you order the book by Wayne Keith. On this website I think you order it from the ‘‘store’’.

2 Likes

Not to worry TomC,
TylerJ. did ask how to make a Wayne Kieth vehicle gasifier system.
The responses including your were just answering him.

The reasons BenP, and even Jim Mason have always been super reluctant to vehicle gasify is because of far-West Coast States factory installed vehicle emissions system inspection station requirements. Really, really limits the users to those willing to go old vehicle and be creative with making themselves “exceptions”. Or over-looked and ignored.
And as hard as the “legal” issued are . . . out here in any of the built-up areas there is a four-way social stigma against woodgasing vehicles.
Why when BenP finally did do one it was on an old classic pre-1967 Ford Mustang coupe. Mandated when new then for nothing except safety glass and lights requirements! And an obvious one-off so a no-harm, no foul, overlooked (this one time).

And your driving-one needs lots of experiences; yours and others, is spot on.
Solo doing will be a years dragged out; re-do, try-again, all of your friends/family long lost patience with your “adventure”. Solo adventuring then.
Where’s the fun in that, eh?
Regards
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Hi: I am new to this just bought the WK DOW book . I am trying to get my head around how all this works. Is there a schematic that shows the whole WK system somewhere? I didn’t see a complete one in the book. This is all fascinating,I love the idea of being able to find my own fuel without needing a refinery. The forum is very interesting, I hope I am not posting this in the wrong place. Craig in Colorado.

7 Likes

Hello Craig and welcome to the web site .

You should get logged into the premium section of the DOW. There you will find the construction section with my hours of video and details for building and driving.

There have been a few upgrades on the construction so I would suggest you read through ( Wayne’s 95 dakota ,318 ) thread . Also the latest gasifier I built is listed as ( Wilbur Smith 96 V-10 Ram ).

7 Likes

Hi Craig,
Been there! I found the following site to be extremely helpful on
answering all your woodgas questions. I built an imbert style to power small engines
and generators in a fixed setting for emergency use. No real experience with the WK.
Gasification is gasification, there are different styles of producing the gas, but
the chemistry and principles are the same.
For a real good easy to understand study, I recommend the following site for an
excellent presentation of the wood gas science.
Later you can check out different “builds”. It’s all interesting and takes time up front
so you don’t have to suffer through too many “setbacks”.

He gets to gasification at 8m50s. There are 7 segments in this series. There is also
a ten segment series.

Checkout here in the Small engine section for “My first small engine run” for how I did it.
Feel free to ask questions, we’ve all been there and we’re all here to help, you’ll love
this site.
Pepe

2 Likes