Woodrunner Volvo's

I can imagine you calm down now, but cant imagine you start that job. Go back searching for a recharge :grinning:

6 Likes

Hurry up, Göran. More snow tomorrow and for the rest of the weekend :grin:

9 Likes

Well, still my stubborness are worse than my lazyness.
Half the snow has melted away, and i fixed the front brakes.

New stuff.
I mostly use wife for brake bleeding, but i don’t wanted to disturb her, so i made up a little brake-bleeders helper.

-2°c so not so terrible wet to work on the ground.

Now to find the studded tires, somewhere under the snow… :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Goran, when I published my video in Jan’s topic “Tractor on gas?” , ( I almost stole the theme from Jan) :woozy_face:, I saw your video of you playing with matches , hmmm your Fergie is almost ready for wood ??!! :grinning::grin::+1:

12 Likes

Hi Tone, yes, i haven’t posted much about the fergie, mostly because the project is “on idle” only things i’ve done is collected some parts, i have a cooler, parts for mixer, pipes, but still searching a housing for the filter.
So the fergie is’nt forgotten, when the snow is gone im going to visit a scrap-yard to search some stuff, both for fergie and volvo project.
And, the fergie got a low compression ratio, im going to do something about that, and my thoughts has gone the direction of a box of turbochargers i saved…hmmmm? :thinking:

11 Likes

Maybe this weekend be the start of volvo gasifier build?
Had to “swallow the bitter pill” and “invest” in some welding gas, expensive sh*t… :rage:
But i love welding, and a shame to have these welding equipment standing, and no gas.

Both mix, and pure argon.:money_with_wings:

I got a cheap pwm-module im going to try,

this will be “exciting” i never converted a fuel-injected engine before.

13 Likes

I agree, gas is ridicuously expensive, bought a mison (argon/co2) mix tube two years ago and I don’t think they got any cheaper since then but I also got my hands on a co2 fire extinguisher and thought I’d give that a try after reading here that many here are using co2 only as a shielding gas, haven’t tried it yet though.

It is funny, I ordered that exact pwm as well but it hasn’t arrived yet :smile:

I am looking forward to following your build :blush:

8 Likes

Thanks Johan. I bought another pwm on amzon, then i found this on tradera, 10kr cheaper than amzon shipping included, worth giving a try, many sellers on tradera buy cheap in bulk from amzon and like, and resell it.
Amzon is a wrong spelling by purpose (im a little paranoid about spy-robots and stuff, the same about Evil-bay :roll_eyes:)
Pure co2 from a fire extinguisher works great for welding, needs some more amp’s in my opinion, can get a little worm-like weld, not floating as good.
Check your extinguisher for leaks around the valve when using it they aren’t made to be tight against back-pressure. (I know, forgot it open a week and all the gas escaped :rage:)

8 Likes

Thanks, good to know-tips :smiley:
Evil-bay actually owns tradera, they bought it like 15-20 years ago just in case you didn’t know.

4 Likes

Yes i know that, but it seems not to give me any personal ads/commercials/recomendations, as the big names do?
Maybe im a little paranoid or just grumpy.

9 Likes

We are probably too small of a market, the big-shots don’t bother including tradera in the spywares and whatnot stuff they track peoples habits with. As if I would buy something just because I got an ad about it. If I need something I research and buy what fits my needs best (usually not what is in an ad), if it is not needed I don’t buy it.
However, I do want commercials and ad’s in the mailbox to light the boiler with, just not the glossy ones :smile:

7 Likes

Many sellers on amazon were buying on alibaba and reselling. There were a lot of folks set up as sellers but they are doing drop shipping. So they just forward the orders to be sent by someone else. Sometimes from a US warehouse, others straight from China.

But here is the listing for the same one on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805833871572.html?

5 Likes

I thought about this some time, i had a good, precision pressure gauge laying around, maybe i could convert it to vacuum instead?
Maybe “fool” it by put it in a vacuum chamber, and let the signal line be open to atmosphere?
Well, i believe others have tried it already, but here is my results:

I encased the gauge in a box of thick, clear plastic (windshield from a forklift)
It looks nothing like the fancy, clear, “scientific” box i saw for my inner sight :rofl:

The signal connection is open to atmosphere, going to put a small filter in it, the connection to the right is the vacuum connection, ends up in the box.

As usual i mis-measured some, had to take of the housing of the gauge to make it fit in the box.

Testing, works like a charm. :smiley:

17 Likes

Has anyone ever told you that you are a big sucker full of hot air?

9 Likes

I wonder what the Inches of Water to PSI or Bar ratio is? Interesting idea for sure.

5 Likes

This particular gauge measures in millimeters water column, 1000mm wc is 1bar or 760mm hg=30inches hg.
Just did the calculation in my head, which means it could be terribly wrong :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I can’t find any h2o gauges in Canada, that’s why I’m using my nanometer.
This what my converter says

8 Likes

Well, i had a feeling i mixed something up, 10000mm wc is close to 1bar?
Which would mean my gauge measures close to 400 mbar, which is great, i believe the old volvo would suffocate if it needs to pull that kind of vacuum.

7 Likes

How much resistance do you have across the filter at 2000rpm.

3 Likes

Can’t remember actually, i guess somewhere around 80millibar, highest, with wet wood and the old glass-fibre fabric filter i seem to remember 170millibar.
Edit: this is total resistance gasifier and filter and cooler. I only have one vacuummeter, the other one never got connected by lazy me.

5 Likes