Working toward food self sufficiency

Not exactly LCHF l wuld say :smile: still, the taste cant be compared to anything else. Not saying sea shellfish are bad but this is on a nother level. Sure you Swedes know, l belive this is the same species as yours (king crayfish?)

6 Likes

I’m not the right person to ask about crayfish species :smile: From what I’ve heard the signal ones have been invasive and almost pushed away our original river crayfish.
The river was full of small boats at night a couple weeks back. We didn’t join though. Last year’s crayfish weekend we were invited to our neighbours and had a couple dussins. But, in my opinion it’s more of a snack. I need a burger or a steak, and a beer on top of that, to be able to produce a proper burp :smile:

9 Likes

After we planted this prunetree five years ago this is the first year it starts to deliver the sizes as it is supposed to

The appletrees that my granddad grafted and the ones been here a hundred years now are delivering a lot but smaller than normal, these are a few

The ones I grafted a few years ago are doing well and the first apples are coming on one of them(plus some aronia bushes that the deer have eaten back for a few years) they all need new spots to be planted

Even the storebought two trees are thriving

The pickling cucumbers are on the last leg though, last harvest soon.

I think next year I have to focus on grafting peartrees, cherrytrees and more plumtrees. No more appletrees, we had eleven when we moved here and now it is 35. There are kinds I want still but not now :smiley:
The nuttrees we started are not doing that great but we knew that before we started them but felt like we had to give it a shot.

Edit: I really need to prune the trees this year or the next

12 Likes

Golden delishes apples that are still a little green make a wonderful sweet tart apple sauce.

Sliced , cooked and bagged up ready for the freezer.

10 Likes

Good point CODY- i heard that apples last longer if keep seperate-or that wrap them in news papper they last longer- keeping them from rotting much longer time before any will start rotting.

5 Likes

Strange, now the cauliflower has also arrived, and I have had help removing the leaves from the cabbage roots.

10 Likes

Oh yes, I know that leaf-removing help all too well. They even get in somehow when we use netting against them. We are at a point where we almost have given up on growing all kinds of brassica / cabbage.
We have one thing that we haven’t taken the time to see through yet and that is to grow them in raised beds to make it easier to ’seal’ the net around them.

8 Likes

The way l deal with nearly all pests is to do nothing. I got 2 hornet nests and probably 5 smaller wasp nests on my house and they get rid of the caterpillars for me. I only got stung once this year but that was when l cut the top off a unknown ground hornet nest with a scythe :unamused:

But we live in the wild, closest industry or intensive farming is far away and the natural prey/predator ratio is good. I do know thats rare so for most other people, there are other ways to protect brassacas.

The butterflyes lay eggs on the ground near the stem. Placing paper or plastic discs around the stem prevents them to do that.

A friend of mine made plastic butterflyes and set them on sticks around the bed. Not sure of the mechanism but it seems to work. Maybe they think the bed is alredy occupied

Third, and l have to investigate this further, is the smell. Those bugs all orient by the smell of the plant. If only we had some sticky smelly liquid byproduct to mask the smell of plants… :wink:

12 Likes

O.K. fellows here are some just taken picture sets to make you cry of what we are moving away from and will lose the use of . . . old fruits trees:

Drying prune-plums.
Plumbs on a supposed to be just a decorative tree I’ve let go to bushy growth:

Pears, pears and pears:

Apples, apples and apples

:

Grapes and grapes:

And this is addition to the earlier blueberries, raspberries and later blackberries.

I/We ask and ask for surrounding neighbors to harvest, pick and take home.
Just only two old women. And kids walking by eating on the road side grapes.

I/we have picked and gifted left fresh processable/storable qualities. Most let rot. Only a very few still able oldsters heat canned, or froze them.
And now we are those oldsters reluctant to take risks climbing ladders. Processing hands stiff, old, and slow to be able to even attempt keeping up with ripening, process NOW harvests.

Not saying all going forward is youths pixilated digitized new-culture doomed.
Trolling through engine driven rubber tracked barrow/towters on another topic I’ve been struck by young couples dicovering the use of power-barrows and mini-excavators in Germany, Austria, Poland, the US and Canada who have gone true Rural, having two or more children.
Being willing to have children in your Life is a clear indicator of wiliness to sweat for a Future.

Choosing to go without children in your Life is a Woosie, weak, cop-out. Even if you cannot begat your own flesh and blood: many, many children in this world needing, craving for a responsible adult role model. How with these last two fostered; my Wife has finally gotten her girlhood dreamed of a full dozen.
Choosing a Life childless: You will have no Future. Period. You did not earn one.
Maybe remembered for some inert piece of art, a building, a bridge, a named patent, a named phenomena explained. Bee-Effin’-Dee.

Live life. Nurture, grow and pick fruit. Year after year after year. Until the day you pass-on. Leaving to another Generation.
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

Can you take at least some trimmings and nurture them into starts for the new property? More food growing the better for everyone

That much going to ground you need some hogs to feed, dad and I have always finished on peaches and pears drop picked from the east side of the state, what a wonderful flavor it imparts on a ham. When I get to do hogs next year they will get the drop to ground cherry plumbs stone plumbs and apples, of which my neighbor last week invited us take as many as we like, along with his behind the house I didn’t see pear tree. Explains the deer always in his yard right after nipping my corn and peas

5 Likes

Marcus up at the new place you visited we already do have came with the place three apple trees, rhubarb, a few blueberries, and lots and lots of blackberries patches. And wild birds spread service berry trees.
My crazy wife has planted two supposed to be northern climate tolerant pomegranate trees she got out of Georgia. So far they are doing great.
I’ll be taking buckets of the black walnuts trees drops of nuts and leaf-sheds. Very rare here PNW westside. I do wan to preserve this one. The one sprouted seedling did not survive the transplant. Very, very delicate, easily damages roots structures.
Hugely different soil up there as clay, versus the sandy loess and rocks of these pictured.
Be hitting up RainTree nursery in Onalaska, between you and me, next late winter/spring for adapted new fruiting trees and berries bushes to plant.

8 Likes

Does anyone have a good recipe for broad beans?

6 Likes

One question more how do I store these kohlrabi roots, should I remove the roots?
Are there any of you who want some boxes, was too much for me?

8 Likes

Broadbeans l like just boiled in the stew with meat and other vegetables. Or just boiled with butter and salt.

This is rutabaga yes? Swede? They last whole winter on the floor of a nice damp root celar. Even if left on the feald they can be harvested all winter, but probably not in your climate.

8 Likes

Ok you take out the beans and cook these?
Do you shell the beans?
Should I cut off the roots or just clean them from the soil?

4 Likes

Yes, shell them before cooking. The beans have a tough leathery skin that many dislike. Some also peal this off but l never bother, l actualy like the texture. Its like biting trugh a sack then the sweet bean piree pours put.

7 Likes

Oh, roots. I wuld leave them.

6 Likes

The turnips are showing well, the corn is worse this year, it does not grow well in the shade of the oak, it is a domestic old corn seed, which otherwise grows tall, mush and bread from this variety are very good. My mother did
tried to preserve this species, nno, but now me and my brother Lojze are continuing it.

12 Likes

Tone, the tractor is strong!

Funny l read about your corn just as l sat down to husk mine. It did good this year. Is this a similar voriety to yours?

Garlic and onions were plentyfull this year.

15 Likes

Here’s one weird “machine” I put together today, a grain wrapper sanding machine

13 Likes