Working toward food self sufficiency

I haven’t had any problems with fruit flies Sean. Actually for the winter I have my bins in a storage area right off the kitchen. No issues, not a hint of odor. I don’t feed much vegetable scraps anymore. Mostly a worm chow made of dry ingredients. Speeds up production but requires more careful monitoring. I blend up food wastes for fertilizer and mix some in with the peat moss I use for worm bedding.

10 Likes

Freezing fruit scraps first can help with the fruit fly eggs from the store. Freezing also helps the scraps decompose faster. Make sure to bury scraps under some of the bedding and castings to keep the smell down to keep from attracting flies. Not adding too much at a time helps with the smell and moisture levels too.

I don’t make or use a lot of castings from my small set up but I like the idea of making something useful from trash. It doesn’t take long for the population to grow either.

8 Likes

I like this guys video’s and his whole way of growing. We have all been conned into thinking that being a grower requires a large parcel of land and a bunch of equipment. He gets paid for pimping the BCS stuff and maybe for his operation if is useful but definitely not necessary. I’m kind of obsessed with trying to grow as much as possible in very small spaces because commercially grown foods are poor quality and in many ways tainted. Providing for yourself is the best option. Trusted growers at local farmers markets is the next best. A hour a day spent on food production instead of TV is really all it takes to maintain a decent sized grow space.

12 Likes

I like this guy also.

Grow as much as possible in small spaces… thats the key. Its the mistake l made for a long time. I cultivated to much (by surface area) and then you dont get to invest enaugh atention per each plant, productivity drops. This year, will only keep about 1/3 of the surface as a garden, but high quality, irrigated and mulched.

The rest of what used to be a feald garden will be planted for pigs to graze. Since we cant free range pigs anymore l need to find a nother way to feed them cheaply.

10 Likes

The glitch in the matrix. Just as l share my thods on quality vs quantity, l see this guy just uploaded a video about that exact topic.

3 Likes

It isn’t really new. all he is doing is intercropping and relay cropping. Then using a living mulch in the walkways. I thought he was pretty light on information as a teaser to get you to buy his book.

This lady is from Michigan and does suburban gardening, and her information is about the same.
But i kind of like planting in the clover… I need to find the -first- video.

3 Likes

Nope, nothing new Sean. I first got interested in these things from this MEN article over 40 years ago.

And this was developed from the ideas of the Austrian Rudolph Steiner 55 years before that.

and it has all been experimented with and tweaked by countless growers after that. Still amazed after all these years that I can stick an almost invisible parsley seed in some soil and end up with two foot of food. One tomato seed and 25 pounds of fruit. All miracles.

5 Likes

If you can afford to, go with the All American Pressure Canner. If you take care of it it is truly a multi-generational piece of equipment.

5 Likes

I got my interest tweaked with companion planting back in the mid-70s when my grandpa got the two definitive books of the time, which were carrots love tomatoes and Roses love garlic. Some of it was proven to be wrong in both books. But the idea of companion planting, and intercropping stuck.

3 Likes

Apparently SDSU had similar results to the Michigan youtube lady with the living mulch system. They are doing a multi-year experiment with various clovers as the living mulch with peppers and broccoli. And they year one results, weren’t good. I guess we have to wait for the year 2-3 results to see what they found.

1 Like

FOOD SCIENCE 101.

There is so much information on this site that it can cause you to suffer a data coma. Still it is a good idea to understand what is essential nutrition for health and where to obtain it. I don’t think you need 200 sources for dietary zinc, eg, but if you read down to the point where she starts listing them click on the link for articles at the top of the page and then pick and choose what you need to know.

5 Likes

The harder part is getting the right nutrients in a form your body can actually use, and some supplements may provide say iron or calcium, but they aren’t in a form your body can easily use.

2 Likes

Time to get growing.

4 Likes