YouTube Small systems Builds

I’m not really familiar with Ben’s design but SteveU had an older post where he said:

The early BenBook instructions were for loaded 1000cc to lightly loaded 5.0L engines.
The revised, expanded later publications were heavily loaded 500cc to lightly loaded 5.0L engines.

The Tahoe is probably a little over that size and wouldn’t be easy to attach the gasifier to but it would be interesting to see if it would move that vehicle around.

4 Likes

The Tahoe uses the 5.3L and 6.2L v8 drivetrains found in the v8 trucks. More interesting to wood gas, is they use variable valve timing.

5 Likes

Those have LS based engines, they are interference engines. If the valves get sticky “ever” engine no more worky. :frowning:

9 Likes

I don’t remember seeing this issue discussed though I’m sure it must have been. I think all Dodge small blocks are interference engines and that seems to be the most used engine by WK builders. Also even older non-interference Chevy small blocks have to become interference engines if the CR is raised I would think.

9 Likes

Im speaking from experience. We smashed the valves on a $60K machine in Italy. Shut it down and went to restart and smashed some of the valves on the left bank.

8 Likes

Another video from Todd Reuschel was just posted.

I wish he would turn the camera sideways but he shared a little more information on his gasifier.

4 Likes

I came across this video this morning , it was so very very painful to watch at times for me , i really wanted to contact him and give him some tips but there are so many others on there telling him to do this and that ,i shall just be another so called expert !

Matt this one will make you smile as well about halfway into the video .

Dave

3 Likes

It is an hour long! Im just thanking the god programmer that came up with the youtube speed up plugin. I’m actually surprised I can understand him at 1.5x with the accent. :slight_smile:

It was technically painful but he is fairly entertaining or at least seemingly good natured about the whole thing.

2 Likes

This guy will probably make one or two more videos then never talk about it again.

4 Likes

he is already raffling off the inverter. :slight_smile: But he spent at least a couple of hundred bucks on the video unless he is reusing things like the water filters and the brass fittings for his house. Which honestly would be pretty smart because it would be a tax write off. :slight_smile:

With 200k subscribers he is making 2000-4000/month.

3 Likes

Here is a video popped on my recommended list with woodgas DIY content. Actually the system I’d put up in this topic first post.
Here is this newly released video. The woodgas content is at 1:43 and 8:10

Yeah. Yeah. I find this video irritating mixing low temperature biomass gas made gas with heat made and evolved change made pyrolysis gas.
DIY wind and DIY hydro guys can be just as irritated with the overstatement mis-representations.
But hey!! At least we get noticed.

Any one with their head out of thier ass knows to minimize your post-disaster trouble and exposure it is #1 Location-Location-Location.
Less people means less problems. Locate distance away where opportunistic and desparate have to walk past a gauntlet of others get to you.
So #1, move your ass before hand to a place with less people. And those people there with lifestyles aligned towards yours.

In this photo most of the year completely unseeable is one of my close neighbors stationary ground PV solar array. Counting the panels has to be at least 2000-3000 watts.
Nope no telephoto to show close details. This neighbor wants his system to be unseen. I respect that.
Another fellow I’ve come to know now lawnmower diagnosing has a full roof of ~2000 watts PV solar.
Down towards the end of a long private road with 10-15 neighbors who track who is coming and going. I know I get hairy eyeballed as an unknown vehicle, visiting.
And he has grown up evergreen tree hedges blocking view of his house. Home accessible only by a two 90 turns of his driveway.
All of these a keep distance rifle shot spread out.
Steve unruh

13 Likes