2014 Arkansas Woodgas Meetup | Marshall, AR | Oct 4

Carl…Thanks for the offer, I just didn’t want to do like I did at Argos and take enough wood for the round trip and to find out Ron was bringing all that nice wood down for us. He seemed like a very nice guy. I believe Wayne said he brought what was equivalent to around 2,000 dollars worth of gasoline in wood. He set a whole bunk full on my trailer so we had about 45 bags left over when I got home. I just thought that I read somewhere that Richard was going to try and arrange to have wood on hand last year for the return trip. I can’t find it now though…LOL I don’t want you to have to bring wood for me. I will just load more and tote it along behind…no problem. Looks to be about 190 mile’s from Coffeyville, I usually get around 45 -50 miles per hopper 3-4 bags depending how low I run it. Probably more hills in Arkansaw to pull. Better just figure 450 round trip…(little running around and sight seeing), 45 per hopper…worse case scenerio 4 bags per hopper 450 divided by 45 miles per hopper equals 10 fill ups times 4 bags equals around 40 bags. Should have a couple left over…LOL. That sound about right?..LOL

Gary

Hello Guys, I’ve been busy with some of life’s little surprises, and haven’t been checking in here as much. Thank you Carl for fielding the questions.

The official date for the event is Saturday, Oct 4, but the facilities are available several days before and after. We have a large hangar with restrooms and a shower. There is lots of grass area for tents and RVs.

I will have some chunked oak available. I can’t compete with Ron’s wood supply at Argos, but I think there will be enough for a small crowd.

Thanks Richard…Maybe we can start a list on here of who all may be attending.

Hey Carl…how far is it from where you live? How bout you Wayne…you going to be there?

Gary

I’ll throw in an extra 200# to get you home… I usually get 25-30# in a dog food bag, and have plenty. Your truck may not like my fuel, but it would be a good experiment. We’ll be arriving Friday late afternoon. I plan on leaving the wood trailer at the airport, we’re staying @ B&B in downtown Marshall with not good parking.

Hello Gary , Richard and Carl.

Wow !! I would love to be there with you guys but it looks like I can’t make it, Please take plenty of video and pictures .

Maybe I can make it next year .

Thanks
Wayne

Doug B says he will be at Marshall,AR next weekend. Hope you can be there too Doug, and bring the S-80 I’ll bring some bio-char from my rig to try??

I need to spend some more time working with my Charcoal gasifier. It takes a while to get mine started.

I have an old friend from high school that is interested in seeing what a wood gasifier is. Would you mind if I invited him? He lives a couple of hours from the airport.
Also, is there a way to identify which hanger to go to?
What kind of food can I bring?

There is a McDonalds on Hwy 65 on the north side of town (across from the high school) Turn south at McD’s, and it dead ends at the airport. Only one hanger if I remember rightly, and we parked on the tarmac like we owned the place Ha! The charm of small town Arkansas. If you Google map “Marshall, AR airport” it should work. AKA: Searcy County Airport

Awesome. Thanks for the info Carl

“Only one hanger if I remember rightly, and we parked on the tarmac like we owned the place”.

You “Do” own the place. All public airports are 95% funded by federal tax payers. Our airport truly is your airport.

Those of you who have been spoiled by attending the awesome Argos events will have to adjust to a simple get together of gasifier geeks and flying freaks. No massive prepared meals and until we can convince Wayne and Chris to join us, there will be no wood gas expert. No wait, Carl will be there. We have the expert covered and if Al D can make it, we will learn a lot from him.

Sorry guys, I have been under the radar for a week or two. We had a large family long-weekend here this past weekend - and OACC the week before… I have hardly been online, or had time to post pics. I did get the greenhouse covered and have plants up 1-2" already. Some will probably be 3" by tonight.

The plan was to just bring the Dakota in its current state of progress and a change of clothes and find a place to stay over down there. I was planning on working on it all week - and Monday’s already half gone…Sheesh. I need a twin brother that doesn’t stop to eat and knows how to sleep fast.

Well, maybe I could bring the GMC cash-o-line truck and the camper. That way I could bring the charcoal simple-fire setup in the back. It was cool of DougB to post the video on YouTube. Thanks friend… The setup was designed to be a “prove the point” experiment for me, but it has turned out to be a good and simple teaching/learning demo unit. If ya’ll would like I can do that and me not bring the Dakota…

What say you? I have no agenda and will be glad to do what is best for the group. We’ll definitely have a blast either way.

Alt idea - maybe I can get the body back on the Dakota and do both?..

Al D

I think we will have several gasified trucks showing up. I was planning to bring my Simple Fire unit, but I have only fired it up once and it wore me out getting it started. I haven’t started the learning curve on it yet. It looks like you have nearly mastered the Simple Fire. It would be sweet to have your S/F unit here. I think I and others would learn a lot from you.

Everyone is invited to attend this gathering at no charge. Food and lodging will be your only concerns. I believe there will be a food vendor on site on Saturday. Micky Ds, Sonic and Good Mexican resturants are very close. Carls BBQ is about 1.5 miles away.

The Wood Hawg re-fit project is progressing very slowly. So many details that matter. I think I’ll have it running for the gathering. It will be there running or not!

I probably can’t make it, after all, this weekend. Unless my Cessna friend is available … will see. Sure am sorry to miss it, sounds like a great turnout. Richard, your Simple Fire issues are likely air leaks, in the vessel or piping, filter, etc. Check those. If you are flaring good gas, it should be … well, Simple! (Unless there are air leaks.) Also note that you might have to have your air almost shut, and of course the woodgas wide open. So, try looking for leak, and adjusting the mixture.

Geez, This is beginning to sound like fun. Sue and I are headed south for a week on 10/10 … Hope to take the Dixie Highway south from Huntsville and catch Wayne and Lisa for an hour or two on Saturday and keep moving south towards Mobile and get a room around there. We have a hotel room on Dauphin Island reserved for 2 days. Maybe check out Biloxi or head into Louisiana … Last time we were there was 2007 and the houses out there were still in ruins from Katrina but we had the 4WD truck and could drive way out and park and I could be nkd all the way to Mississippi from there … I Imagine there will people in those places now and those condos on the gulf are crazy … There were people vacuuming sand up on some of the porches and there were people spreading sand on some of the other porches so they could pretend to sunbathe on them … Just buried one of my best friends today. He was one of the last people I flew with … I was the only one there to watch him go in the ground. Everybody leaves and go to eat … rude and fat … Wish I could be at the “fly in” … BBB / SWEM … Mike … It just poured on my new charcoal so it will have to dry for a while again …

Hey guys . Have fun !!

Sure wish I could shake lose and make the trip but just can’t.

Please burn a chunk for me .

BBB
Wayne

Hey Mike L

I know where you are coming from . I help carry one of my best friend and neighbor today . :- (

my condolences

Thanks Wayne.

We will burn a bunch for you. Consider marking your calendar for Oct 3, 2015. I’m thinking of adding a car show with the Fly-in/gasifier meeting. There will be a lot of want-to-be builders showing up. I can put you and Lisa up in an RV onsite.

On my way! I’m excited for this weekend.