Bamboo gasifier

For sustainability and ease of access, has anyone run their wood gasifier on bamboo cuttings? It grows fast and dense depending on the species, and you can grow it on your own property and have a quick source of wood. Anyone ever experiment with this? On a larger scale, it can help reduce chopping down slower growing trees, thats if it burns well for a gasifier, I’m not sure.

5 Likes

@k_vanlooken lives in Thailand and has used copious amounts of bamboo. It is definitely viable if you have it in surplus.

8 Likes

Yep, @k_vanlooken is the bamboo expert. Here’s his raw bamboo gasifier:

He’s done a huge amount of work on charcoal gasifiers using bamboo charcoal. These are simple, useful systems for farmers, mainly.

7 Likes

Does the WK design work with bamboo?

3 Likes

@Wayne would be the one to ask. But if a dead cat is worth five miles, Using peat as fuel for wood gas generators - #3 by Wayne,
bamboo ought to be okay :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Good morning Kent.

I have used bamboo chunks but it has been about twenty years since I experimented with it. I have no bamboo on my place and just a very small amount in this area.

I can’t remember any issues experimenting with dry chunks of bamboo.

11 Likes

Thank you for the info! And for your work. Have a good one

1 Like

I did hear that in one of the videos I watched w him in it nd I laughed lol. Thanks

3 Likes