Charcoal gas cooking stove

the desk is actualy a concrete plate dressed in 8mm granite plates :grinning: l thod itis marble too untill l tryed to cut one plate. Had quite some problems with that. Anyway it is supposet do be esven better thain marble in terms of chemical and scrach resistance.

We grow about 60% of our food. Beef, pork, puletry, horse and rabbit for meat, most of the vegetables, our own wine, cider and schaps, juices, have a small brewery. I tend to lift that percentige every year. will not stop untill l get to above 90%. Next year we will seed some wheat and othrer grains for flour, some more beans and expand the pond where we have a few fishes. Atleast that is the plan :blush:

14 Likes

Beautiful kitchen…nice work! Please tell me more about the two computer fans. Are they blowing into two sides of a box connected to the tube leading to the nozzle, or are the two fans in series? I have been using a TLUD stove that makes charcoal, but it is a batch device. My current stove runs for about an hour, maximum, and then I have to dump the charcoal and reload. My fans are mounted in the bottom of plastic jugs or tin cans, and are shoved into the primary air inlet when I need more air. (The stoves are natural draft, but sometimes I need more firepower!) One fan is very quiet and slow-turning, and the other fan is a high-powered noisy blower. I use one or the other, but not both at the same time. Here is a photo of my simple (ugly compared to your work of art) kitchen.

The stove is the orange part. To the right is a propane powered BBQ, which I no longer use, because I found that I can just dump my charcoal into a round pan, cover it with a grill, and BBQ that way.
Ray, in South Central Texas.

8 Likes

Ray the most butyfull kitchen in the world cant help you if it doesent cook nicely so as long as it makes your lunch ( and crarcoal!) it is the most butyfull :wink:

The fans push air in searies. The green hose is secondary air, regulated by a valve. works ok but it is noisy. And it allso lacks a bit of power if you want to cook something fast.
I am thinking to use a compressed air resevuor and a ventury efect nozzle to inject air. More controll too.

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan

congratulation, kitchen space outside super friendly

would it be possible to cook in an enclosed space by placing the gasifier the outside? (as with a stove to propane?)

Thierry

2 Likes

It is possible for sure but what if the flame goes out and the gas flows freely in the closed room with no one noticing?? to big of a risk… I rather buy propane or eaven eat raw food thain poison my family…

10 Likes

Yes, me too. I have built a copy of an APL ejector several years ago, but it is too big and uses too much air. I have two ideas to try. One is an ejector using at small MIG tip (023"), and the other is using a misting nozzle with a .012 (medium fine) orifice. I have already ordered packages of each of these to experiment with.
There is a stove made in India that uses a garden pump sprayer about 75% full of water pressurized to 40 psi, which is then fed to a needle valve, then to some steel tubing wrapped around the heat riser on the stove, then back to a nozzle that then feeds steam into the air intake, acting as an ejector, AND as a way to add Hydrogen to the flame. It is called the Samuchit ELFD Sampada Smokeless Stove. Here is a link to the YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ui2nNWT1Y
I don’t know what size nozzle they use at the ejector. It looks like it is adjustable, like a paint sprayer. Also, it appears that the nozzle can be moved closer or more distant from the main air lnlet.
I have three old garden sprayers, and none of them are in working condition. I was going to try to repair them, but they are so cheap, maybe I should just order a new one, and get on with the experiment.

5 Likes

Great stuff! Thanks for the video, wery inspirational! With a good charcoal gasifier this culd make the ultimate cooking platform for biger needs l will sure put that in the box of information for future projects (althugh its getting kind of full :wink: )

I think for smaller needs such as one or two small burners the pressurised air tank shuld be sufficiant. A small 3kg propane tank and a pressure regulator for constant air pressure and a propane burner nozzle was what l had in mind. A good bycicle pump can achive pressures of about 10 atm so in a 5 l propane tank you can press about about 50l of air, multiply that with about 10 on the venturi effect and you get about 500l of air, about 700 l of gas. That gives you about an hour of burning before needing to repump.

5 Likes

hi kristijan, i found on your thread with your very nice summer kitchen the foto of the gasifier under the desk…you wrote it runs 8 hours …
my gasifier has the problem, it runs about 30 minutes and than, if not shaked, makes bridging and makes only bad gas…
must you shake sometimes to avoid bridging during cooking?

3 Likes

Hi Giorgio

I found with a updraft charcoal gasifier, charcoal size is most important. What size charcoal do you use?

4 Likes

hi kristijan, my size of the coal is 5mm to 2 cm about.
i have seen your cooking apparatus also with the long pipe, what you made for your mother for cooking for the pig :slight_smile: -do you think this can work with charcoal in my size also?
i am looking for a solution without shaking -stirring…

2 Likes

Honestly your problems are a mistery to me. I never had problems my self…

That burner was just a doorway to the world of gasification for a 14 year old boy :grin: kinda worked, but far from good.

5 Likes

hello kristijan, may be it depends on my not so good english…the question is about constant fuel flow of your summer kitchen gasifier, if you must shake from time to time during cooking operation, for avoid bridging?
how much nozzles it had?
thanks giorgio

1 Like

hello matt, your nice cooking gasifier…i have a question about it: you must shake during cooking from time to time to avoid bridging of the fuel?, how much nozzles it has? nozzles inclined?
have you just tried a run with charcoal ?
thanks giorgio

1 Like

No, never.

Sorry, l cant remember what nozzle it was. It may have been a single hole flute with a 3/4" pipe or a half inch nipple pointed up. I think it was the later.

3 Likes

Hi Giorgio, i have seen the size of your charcoal in the photo you posted in another post and although the charcoal looks great in quality the size is not small or uniformed enough to be able to flow down and will cause bridging problems for you in a stationary build , maybe if it was on a moving vehicle or next to a running engine the vibration would help , but for cooking you need to reduce the size down to between 2mm too 20mm .
All the best Dave

4 Likes

hello dave, yes i think you are right with this, in our units connected with with the honda or briggs the size works well.
and also in the cooking gasifier i have used shorter sized coal but also not works like desired, one times runs one and a half hour continuous mostly but after 20 minutes to half an hour bad gas cames and interrupts the flare.
i think it depends from the diameter -ratio- 31cm- the used propane tanks and the relatively small glowing area, about 12 cm, so besides remains unburned coal what supports bridging. the only solution i see is to use a pipe with the diameter of the glowing area, about 13 cm with one nozzle, and when not works with 3 nozzles like stephen abbadessa uses in his victoria gasifiers…but he with raw wood chips and downdraftdesign…
the stainless steel pipe is just on the way to me, i found a piece with 14cm diameter in
private announces for used stuff.
stainless is very slight , so it should work…
thanks and best wishes to you

3 Likes

U got it made brother…look at those eggs! Ahh…free range chicken eggs,so good! Nice construction on the framework too

4 Likes