Charcoal Gasifier for Generator

Are you being funny?? lol

I did a tutorial on the electronic fuel mixer. Its really pretty straight forward.

Bill build it for his system here

5 Likes

Is there some reason why shop vac filters would not be good for these charcoal gasifiers?

1 Like

Ha. Finaly I can report from my own experience. They suck to hard and to much.

1 Like

Joep, l think you misunderstood the question. Not shopvacs, but shopvac filters.

My guess is those filters may have to much drag. You must take in to account quarter a inch of dust on the filter allso!
But, if you stack one on a nother or have several in paralell, absolutley it wuld work.

2 Likes

They are way to expensive!! :stuck_out_tongue: For my 1 dollar garage sale shopvac it cost 15-20 for brand new filters. lol

1 Like

sorry, to trigger happy
. And missed that one

1 Like

Use paper towels for filters?:

Pete Stanaitis

5 Likes

While we are on the filter topic, I just ordered some Coarse Perlite, which is a white puffed porous mineral used for potting plants. Thanks to Troy Martz for this one.

I plan on using it in a 1/2 gallon jar so I can observe the condition of this bright white medium. A pipe through the lid to the bottom for inlet and a hole in the side of jar near the top for outlet.

3 Likes

Hey Bruce, Just curious, but what are you looking for while using perlite as a filter medium? The stuff is expanded volcanic glass so I’d be concerned about any of this getting sucked out of the filter and into the engine.
Gary in PA

4 Likes

Awesome!! you just saved me 15 bucks. My 1 dollar shopvac might be worth something after all. lol (I got it to blow up air mattresses while on a camping trip…I already got my dollar out of it…) lol

3 Likes

Hi Gary, That is a good warning on the volcanic glass. Maybe I should cover it with paper towel per Engineer Bill above or just use it on engines that need to reseat their rings (just kidding). A layer of oiled foam rubber might catch those tiny scratchers. Perlite is used in toothpaste as a cleaner polisher.

3 Likes

Gary, I see that I didn’t answer your question. Perlite is well known as a filter medium. What I am looking for is 1) the ability to visually evaluate the condition of my gas by color, and 2) by comparing with vacuum readings, get a visual indicator when the perlite needs to be replaced. I think Troy said that perlite media can be reconditioned by burning off the captured char and tar.

3 Likes

Bruce , … Tar ! whats that ? you dont make Tar do you ? :astonished: no course you don’t your just teasing us .
Have you tried the silica white kitty litter , that works great too and helps dry the gas at the same time .

Dave

3 Likes

Forgive me, I wrote this prior understanding what you were actually doing… :stuck_out_tongue:

I just pulled this up in a google search… I didn’t know you could use a regular led as a color detector so I am posting it! If it was going to work for your application, it would need some sort of reference light. Like the identical lights but on and on the other side(?). Then you have other crap to worry about like stuff sticking to it. but…

Here is another page on more then I ever wanted to know about it. The AMS sensors they use (3) are 6 bucks a pop and a bit more complicated.

A dual port comparative sensor might work they are like 15 bucks. probably not as cheap as a good ole water column.

Then you can use all the rest of the led’s from part 1, to make a big flashing display like cop lights…:stuck_out_tongue:

Sean, Let us know if you build that spectrometer. Looks like fun.

My canning jar “spectrometer” is going to be a bit more basic. I drilled a hole in a 2 Qt jar for the outlet.

Cheap Chinese diamond hole saw, modeling clay dam to hold a little turpentine.

So far, so good.

10 Likes

Impressive drilling!!! :smiley::smiley::+1::+1::ok_hand:

5 Likes

I might do the led one on a raspberrypi. I got a bunch of led bulbs.

2 Likes

That really IS cool!!!

2 Likes

Hi!
Ive got some troubles with my downdraft/crossdraft charcoal gasifier.
It works quite well with my 4-stroke 13hp motor but i get a lot of moisture in the filter and the house.
Ive made the gasifier of two 5-gallon buckets.
I use a waterdrip and i get an increase in rpm when i add the waterdrip. Can it be that the restriction area is too wide?
Any ideas?

2 Likes

Hi Jorgen , i am guessing that running without a water drip gives you no condensation in your filter and lines ? and it only shows up once you start dripping in water ? How much water do you have going into your system 1 drip a second 2 , 3 , ? some photo’s or video of your set up would be good as well and especially for me as i am trying to make a down draft work right now .
Dave

1 Like