Charcoal gasifier (simple fire) using 100lb propane tank

LOL. If that were going to happen it would have back in the 1970s when I used to throw about 1300 of those old 40lb square hay bales a day. I’ve done so many things similar. This old rack of bones just doesn’t break. I have my problems. That just doesn’t happen to be one of them. Repetitive stress injury’ isn’t that something people in Hollywood get? :crazy_face:
Rindert

3 Likes

What I did on my little char-gasser was to put a 90 degree elbow on the end of your nozzle pipe then put a SS pipe into that. Making sure it points up. then I took a cheap ss pet food dish turned it upside down and punched a hole in the bottom the same size as the ss nipple. Set the pet dish upside down over the nipple. You now have a heat proof nozzle.
My nozzle lasted longer than the gasifier tank
I was using. My first nozzle was black iron.
It lasted just five minutes!
I learned the uphill nozzle from Koen Vanluken. He posted pictures of a char. gasifier with a piece of ss sink drain pipe.
That he had a bead of ss weld around the rim of the nozzle. The end of the pipe was bent into a 90degree

2 Likes

Any ways look at some of Koen’s nozzles
You will see what I am talking about.
I used the SS fitting that connects the flex pipe to the gas stove. Mine was about 1/2" but you can get bigger SS PIPE fittings. As I said my nozzle lasted for 2 years. And 3 cheap metal bucket tanks! I ran a wood chipper shredder, but mostly cooked on the char gas.
The best wood source for fuel grade charcoal
is a pile of chipped , shredded wood from the local DPW, or a tree service company.
Spread it out on a tarp about 2-3" deep let it sit all day. Cover at nite.when the wood chips are dry use a TLUD to make your char.
Now screen the char through 1/8 th" screen
To remove the fines. Now you can fuel most any thing. Just use a good filter system to clean your gas.
Jesse

3 Likes

Side note: my gasifiers tanks were open head metal buckets. I was able to service my gasifiers from the open top. Then put the lid back on for making gas. I was using used deck stain 5g buckets. So the gas outlet was the spout hole in the lid. Just remove the plastic spout, and bolt a floor flange over the hole.
I took a 3/4"union and had it welded to a piece of 12 mil steel. Drill a hole in the center big enough to access the union from both sides.
Screw the nipple assembly to the back of the union then bolt the whole thing to the side of your tank. Making sure your nozzle points up
Hope this helps
Jesse

2 Likes