Chunkers?

Hello David and welcome to the site.

Yes , poor folks have poor ways.

Some people walk through a junk yard and see junk… When I walk through a junk yard I see different material that needs to be placed, attached and arranged in a certain manner. Same as an artist would arrange different color paints to canvas to end up with an image one would recognize.

SWEM ( smile with every mile )
Wayne

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome Wayne I appreciate it. When I decided to go ahead and make this thing I walked through my junk for hours trying to picture what I could make a fire tube out of. I ended up cutting up an old air tank off a truck that was 7 inches in diameter and about 20 inches long. A little thinner than I wanted but should work I believe.I cut one end off and cut a 2 inch hole in the other end as per specs for the horsepower I needed. So far every piece has been from junk and if it doesn’t work in the end the worst could happen is it will end up junk again!! Easy come easy go. And as for your chunker I really think you should name a masterpiece like that. Thanks David

1 Like

Hi All
Found this video showing a could-be-made-up, tilt-bed (buzzsaw) plunger piston chunker system in use:

In the first 0 to 38 seconds.
Looks old. Still very fast and effective. And Scandinavian practical.

Regards
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

So the plunger piston on the crank shaft is effectively the same idea as a standard hydraulic ram wood splitter; but much shorter stroke for splitting the sawed-off chunks?

1 Like

Johnathan from Sweden had one like that only it was a chop saw with a small crank out of a single cylinder engine. Same idea only smaller. TomC

2 Likes

No Brian.
Much LONGER stroke needed. Only the linear slowing down, INCREASING force, end of movement is used. The inertia energy in all of that rotating mass doing the work as applied by the splitter head. A near irresistible WHACK; versus a hydraulic ram splitters slowly increasing force to the limit of the ram pistons diameter/pump’s capability.
Completely opposite applied force concepts.

Realize also these are chunking WITH the grain.
The shear chunkers are compressing, stacking, then nick/CUTTING the then stretched tighten wood fibers across the grain.
S.U.

3 Likes

The chunker in that video you found Steve is very fast indeed…the plunger piston part almost looks repurposed from a steam engine. Anyways, a great find so thanks for bringing that one to our attention. I recently found this video on a “Manual Log Splitter” and it appeals because it’s so simple & requires only human power…perhaps using a modified axe head could allow multiple chunks to be produced with each blow…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oRe39_6TIManual Log Spliter

2 Likes

Been thinkin and reviewing the vid of the 37 chev wood processer, at first I thought it had to be a fake but I don’t anymore! I’m thinkin he’s got a cutter/splitter that cuts/splits only across the bottom, about 1&1/2" up with dividers about 1&1/2" apart to separate the blocks! Remenber ther has to be room alowed for the cutter! If watched closely we see the patties drop straight down on top of each other and drop a little at a time as the blade takes only the bottom off, the square blocks drop out only a few at a time!!
I think it’s the real deal and a great way to do patties!!!

4 Likes