Cloth filter for gengas

I have a little hard to explain I think, I hope it is better in this picture.
Thought the gengas may go down into a steel pipe to the bottom, before it goes in through the filter pipes, and has a regular oil barrel lid that I can remove and blow clean the filter pipes.

9 Likes

Looks a lot like the bag house filter that @Patrick1 made, but also like Vesa has as well. Very interesting concept, I just wonder how it could be compacted smaller, take up less bed space in the truck
 :thinking:

4 Likes

I see now the plate with the yellow arrow. This is a good design. I may build something similar but I will make a bottom plate. After all when you are drilling out the top plate, another could be done at the same time. I would like to see if venting the hot air around those tubes out would add much cooling of gas.

This could be made with a square container as well Marcus and then maybe fit into an area better. You guys all like to keep your beds intact. I’d probably make a square one and cut it into the side of the bed. That way it would be partially in the air stream for cooling and and scoop could be added to the side of the box to push hot air out a vent.

3 Likes

This is how do did in Sweden in the 1950s and 1960s, it went for 2.44m in such a box. 538 = 21 " 625 = 24" 355 = 13 ".

5 Likes

I am glad that some of you are just as concerned with maintenance cleaning as filtration efficiency.
Make gravity your friend, cleaning. That means vertical pleats, vertical socks, vertical bags. With a great empty capture space below.

One of the differences between the big tank/can filled all flow through mass media filters; and a membrane filters, is the first is forgiving of operator errors.
Membrane filter are very operator sensitive to being damaged. You need more operator education. And adherence to filter preserving procedures. No early wet gas. No heavy foot ignoring temperatures and pressure differential gauges.
Regards
Steve unruh

4 Likes

Thank you Steve for the information on hot filters. I have decided not to go this route on my next build.
Wet gases, heavy foot, ignoring temperatures, and pressure differently gauges, guilty on all four counts. Lol.
I see why the WK complete gasification system that Wayne perfected is for us multiple users in driving styles.
Now I am not saying Wayne has a heavy foot and ignores his gauges. I just see this system is more forgiving than others systems that’s all.
Bob

6 Likes

No, I see that I am not allowed to run in gas that has a lower temperature than the dew point, so I thought to let the gas be around 100 degrees c (212f) before I run it in, and then my fabric goes to 550 degrees c (1022f) , but there are fabrics that go higher, but thought to try this.
They drove trucks of over 10 liters for over 32000km, no condensation or clogging of the fabric had taken place.
Heavy foot does not seem to be a problem, if you do not get a lot of charcoal into the filter.

1 Like

Jan the heavy foot problem was reported by both Dutch John and S.E. Werner due to hot char embers being force drawn through on “some” systems configurations; under some conditions; then igniting the soot cakes on the filter membrane surfaces.
Sure. Sure. Everything perfect and this should not be able to happen.
When is everything perfect once in service and year around hard used, eh?
VesaM mentions this possibility happening too.
S.U.

4 Likes

No, you’re so right, the test I’m writing about has a small cyclone before the filter, and after that they never had any such problems.
But of course if you leave all service alone, nothing works.

3 Likes

I bought some iron today for the filter, how much space under the filter is needed for the ash, and how much above the filter for the gas?
Should I put in a middle iron as well that holds the fabric apart better, or should it be able to flex a lot?

3 Likes

Hi Jan , if you want to get more surface area I would put 2 pipes in to hold the welding blanket apart the gases will enter through the filter on both sides and into 2 pipes that have holes drilled down the sides of the pipes. The pipes will be protruding out one side of the end of the filter metal framing. I would leave a foot below the filter. Is it going to go into a barrel?
Bob

2 Likes

One of the guys here has had problems with tar, it was interesting to see how such a small hole can ruin so much.

7 Likes

If I do this, a plate that guides the gas down to the bottom and a fairly large space under the filter cartridges,
Shouldn’t it slow down the gas so that if it comes with charcoal pieces, they will remain on the bottom?

5 Likes

That looking good Jan, a shield as you suggest to direct the gas downwards should work great, and save the cloth from get direct “hit” by hot gas, charcoal pieces. And as you say, you get a drop-box in the bottom, where charcoal pieces stay.

7 Likes

Thank you Göran, then I can start welding things together, it’s a little big, but better big than charocol getting stuck between the cloths.

5 Likes

I am really looking forward to this new filter you are building and how it will work. Lots of pictures of the steps building it please.
Bob

6 Likes