Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Yeah, there are a few inaccuracies in this article. He was a bit taken back that people live like this on purpose.
When I can get a link to the whole article, I’ll post it.

3 Likes

I have yet to make the paper when everything in the article is right and all the names are spelled correctly. Always something wrong. Looks good Bill

6 Likes

Our syrups, jams and jellies have really received some notice this summer. The newspaper write up and now a fancy restaurant in a revolving restaurant atop the Radisson in Duluth, MN on Lake Superior.
The head chef put our syrup on the menu. Chamomile Salmon entree. The wild chamomile is also known as pineapple weed. Today we need to deliver a case of syrup to them as the menu comes out this week. Kind of cool considering it’s an invasive weed. We collect from our property because weed don’t use chemicals for weeds or plants.

16 Likes

Wow, Bill!
For reference, see my post this topic #1375.
:blush::blush::blush:

2 Likes

I got all my secrets from the internet. So really, not much of a secret. I just introduce people to what our ancestors knew but our current generations can’t find in the stores.

10 Likes

I built a greenhouse this past week for firewood. It’s another 10’x20’ like I built last year except this only cost $100. A friend gave me the plastic for free. I can fit ½- ¾ cord in one row.

16 Likes

Are you venting it some way to move wet air out so it will dry?

2 Likes

I just leave the doors open.
Last year, freshly cut wood went from 40% to 20% in three months.

6 Likes

I have 1 12 miles to plow in the winter. We’ve had 3 mild winters so far. The first winter I had a F150 with a plow. It was okay but really insufficient. The second year I had a 3500HD Chevy dump truck with a plow with duallys. It worked well on straight aways and down hills. More than 6" of snow it struggled even with chains. Last winter the 3500HD was broke so I used my tractor with a back blade. Worse than the first two options. This week I bought this. A 1962 Federal. It has a Cummins engine with an Allison tranny. This thing is a beast. I drove it 25 miles and by the time it got to our dirt road, It blew out 4 gallons of oil. Today the guy that sold it to me came to look at it. there are two lines that go to a lube finer. One gave out before our dirt road. We then removed the lines and the lube finer. We got it to my place without any problems. This winter I will resort to a vehicle inspection as I did when I was in the Army and had a deuce and a half and a 5 ton.

11 Likes

Bill, that’s a beast. You could take on the interstate while the motor is warming up :smile:

6 Likes

The GVW is 27,000 pounds. At 2100 rpm, it gets up to 40 mph. The blade is 13’ wide at the top. I have an extra wear blade here to fix this one.

5 Likes

Just don’t get that thing stuck!

4 Likes

Bill,

If your lane is not quite wide enough to accommodate this plow, it soon will be, on the very first pass!

It looks like it will lay waste to anything it comes in contact with!

Bryan

5 Likes

Bill,
Now that would be a woodgas project. Any plans?
Rindert

4 Likes

You get the cover page for the MOST outrageous truck!

10 Likes

Who said everything’s bigger in TX?

5 Likes

The walls of the root cellar are done and wrapped. Just waiting for the guy to drop off some dirt so I can backfill. I used tamarack or some of you may know it as larch.

18 Likes

I had some dirt delivered and picked up more rough cut lumber.
I was able to start on the floor joists for the sugar shack now.

18 Likes

I made shiplap boards for the floor of the sugar shack and have since covered it in plastic to protect it from the rain and now snow.
After I finished the floor, I started building a 8’x 16’ chicken coop. In September we had 43 birds now we’re down to 28. I’m not sure if nature got them or if they’re hiding from the snow.
I got the 2x4’s from a local sawmill and most of the siding are 1x10’s and free from a neighbor.

17 Likes

@#* snow… :slight_smile:

4 Likes