Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

looking good bill, that certainly is quite a process too make, should be well worth is healther than all the fake surup., how long will it keep, can it be frozen.

2 Likes

It can be froze. I’m not sure how long it is good for when bottled properly. A friend of mine has one that has been bottled for 15 years and he states it appears as it did when he bottled it.

3 Likes

A long time as long as the seal doesn’t break. Usually, you break the seal, then condensate from humidity creates enough water that mold can grow. Mold is what turns it cloudy.

4 Likes

Realistically this is the earliest we should really be planting up here. We have another week or two of possible overnight freezing. So far the forecast says tonight will be the coldest at 36F (2.22C).
I will try and get the root veggies planted before Argos in the big garden outside.

11 Likes

We had slightly warmer down here during the night :smile:
JO and Kristijan

6 Likes

I’ve been watching the national news and seeing how hot it is done there. Really makes me appreciate northern Minnesota weather. We are at the 47th latitude which usually keeps the tonadoes away too.

7 Likes

Thanks for the syrup Mr. Bill . It turns a plain old biscuits into a treat for a king :grinning:

5 Likes

You’re welcome Wayne. I can’t wait to try the sawgum sirp. Maybe I’ll look up a recipe for some cathead bicuits. Thanks Wayne

4 Likes

Bill
What was the name of the plant you showed me at Argos. I think I found some in my yard

It’s mixed in with the clover

2 Likes

Pineapple weed

5 Likes

That’s not the same plant as the wild / dwarf chamomile. The chamomile smells like green apples. It’s quite short, often grows down the middle of a lane.

3 Likes

Now I am curious as to what it is

3 Likes

4 Likes

I think I’ve seen that plant, I believe it’s actually a tiny prairie clover. If you look at the flowers real close (or magnified), they should look similar to other clovers and prairie legumes.

4 Likes

Just about done with the outside of the sugar shack.
@don_mannes, here you can see the entrance of the root cellar under the building.

19 Likes

Picking blueberries today to make syrup and jam.
The mosquitoes and horse flies are out in full force like it’s their job to protect these berries from getting picked…

10 Likes

I now see I haven’t provided an updated picture of the sugar shack.

Also, my wife had a shirt made for me for selling at the farmers markets.

17 Likes

The hazelnuts should be ready to harvest in a month from now.

8 Likes

Bill, looking great!

We had a load of hazelnuts this year on 3 trees. All harvested by one ilusive squirel. I never had squirel before, well, now l had :smile:

8 Likes

Looking great on all fronts. The bugs may be subdued a bit tomorrow, change in the weather coming…

4 Likes