Farm All M conversion

unless i miss my guess that is a Cat R2 'dozer…they run on petrol and are a nice size for doing the garden lol… i’d love to find one in that condition here

A few years back I sold a TD-14 international dozer that I had converted to a 350 Buick motor. (What a mistake selling it )

I have a D-6 Cat but can’t afford the diesel to run it

hi wayne
what kinda diesel you want I have junk laying around
IH cummins and two stroke detroits don’t think i have any cats at the moment

tom

hey wayne as always i miss read your post although thats probably got a 3306 which is a good one for pilot injection
in montanna they got about 85% wood gas for there saw mill
tom

I think I mentioned this some where on here. I am kicking around an idea for building a water driven cyclone filter for this tractor. Just wondering if any one has ever tried this. I dont like media filters of any kind, running syngas we already loose power and a restricted media filter just adds to it. I am thinking of getting one of the electric water pumps from the automotive aplications for driving it. They make about 20 GPM @ 7 amps, so plenty of volume. I was thinking of building two of these one after the gasifier and one will be placed after the condensor.

Im thinking of liquid cooling the condensor tubes as well.

Seems like this would be a great system if it works as planned. Every thing should be self cleaning and the cyclone design will actually help pump out the gas to the engine.

So If any one has ever tried this Id like to hear your experience.

I have to put together a price list for the components needed to complete this build. Still brain storming a bit, but probably first thing next week Ill start laying out the full plan for this and get things going.

i like that idea of the centrafuge filter but don’t know that it would be more effective than a venturi scrubber…it would depend on how much contact you would have between the water flow and the gas stream.

a liquid cooled condensor should be able to be alot smaller…the radiator to dump all the heat out of the water may however need to be alot larger than you might think…unlike a radiator on an engine that only needs to dump enough heat to stop the engine over heating, a gas cooler HX will want to dump the maximum heat possible…water returning to that condenser at 140F isn’t going to cut the mustard lol

it will be interesting to see how it works in the real world

my dad has a farmall H just like that, we blew the pto and bought a new tractor but he will keep the farmall forever bc his dad bought it new, i think someday i might do something like this to it!

OK here is the very first flare off, of the new M-Series II gasifier. This is the gasifier that Im planning for the tractor conversion. Im going to run it for a couple days and mointor the flare and see what happens before I make any adjustments.

Looks like the build is ticking along nicely

looks good Matt

Im getting closer to actually mounting on the gasifier. Im hoping to have the M-II mounted on tomorrow. Im building my own lid for this one to see if we can do it. I have to finnish up the seal and I think Im going to hinge it on the machine this time. Im going to relocate the condensate troft to the hopper instead of building it into the lid and will also enlarge it a bit. I also enlarged the hopper for this build and will offer this machine with this hopper as an option. As soon as we can get the gasifier mounted then we can start fitting on the new filtration system :slight_smile:

Matt, what kind of run time are you expecting with a unit this size? What size fuel is this designed for? Looks good so far.
Don M

Id like to see an hr run time out of it, but we wont know till we fire it up. This will be my very first large engine build. Yeah I think this is where HP is not a very good way for sizing a gasifier. The engine is about 230 ci and makes just 30 hp. So for this build I developed the M-II that features a 12" heath with a 4" restricter. So it should be able to eat up just about any thing. The first M-II I built ran some pretty large chunks with out issue and after running it I thought it was pretty impressive. I ran it for about 16 hrs and the flare cleaned up really nice and it ran very consistent.

The grate spacing is 3/8. The Hopper is 14" in diameter and is about 30" tall from 4" above the jets. So if run times are to short then I guess we just build a bigger one :slight_smile: For the filtration I decided to convert my existing condensers to liquid cooling. We just built a water jacket around them and will have the radiators in between the two. There will also be two hydro clones one after the gasifier and one after the condensers. Then we will have a mixer dryer and possibly a media filter.

Soon we will be building much bigger stuff. I have the materials to build 16" and 20" machines of both series machines. We will be building some stainless into these machines and will also be playing around with heat re circulation and a vacuum sealed reactor soon. We are now making very large quotes with lots of zeros before the deicmal piont :))

Ok I got it mounted up there. Yeah I spent a whole day trying to figure out a new puffer lid design. I ended up going to a simple 12 dollar cam lock latch and hinged the lid. Ill just simply put a blow back plate in the lid.

But any ways it will really start to come along this week. The filters are mostly build now just a matter of putting it all together.

Hey Matt, what’s the latest on this build? Your tractor conversion is very interesting, as I’m looking at a Ferguson TO-30 right now for around $2,000.

Hi Troy,

Its sort of on hold, every time I try to work on it our schedule gets in the way and redirects my attention. I have time with this customer because this is a custom set up. We are going to do some RnD on it too. But very soon I hope to have it up and running and ready for delivery. We may even offer a kit for this tractor once it is complete.

Hi Matt…has this progressed any further or is it still on the back burner?

Every time I get ready to start work on these specials something always seems to get in the way. I have been down a guy since late last November and he has been hit and miss showing up to work. I have some big investors coming to the shop from abroad and now have a demo that trumps every thing we have going at this time besides our scheduled builds. As soon as I can get some time I will be working on this.

no worrys…i was talking to my friend that collects vintage tractors about it…he was interested but likes his machines shiny and in the condition they left the factory too much to consider woodgassing one of his…lol he won the concourse-de-tractor awhile back at the regional A&P show because the second place getter didn’t have the right markings that the OEM bolts have on a transmission inspection cover…lmao them guys in white coats are Waaaaaay to picky for me

Matt, I’m just skimming here. I think I saw some of your stuff in Argos last year. A “young” fella was hiding in the shade of a building there with it. It looked very well built but was too small for anything I run. The hopper on your late september pictures would be good for around 10 miles or so in a typical car or truck. I suppose it would run that tractor for 15 minutes or so with no load. Take a look at the size of the unit on Ron Lemler’s tractor. He has many miles behind him now. I have built many units that are good for the typical 20 mile round trip drive and have also built units to do the 60 or so miles between fill ups. Johan has a video on his site vedbil.se somewhere where he runs his tractor into the woods to cut more wood for his tractor. He was using a gasifier he built to power a toyota in England for a movie thing and then he managed to get it back to Sweden but couldn’t register the truck there so he put the gasifier on a diesel tractor that he converted to spark with the gasifer … I’m not sure what he is doing now but my guess is he is making babies or at least that is what I hope he is doing …
http://vedbil.se/indexe.shtml
is his english site but I couldn’t find the links to his videos … If I find them I will post them here at some point … He had a nice one where a friend of his was riding behind him with a moped that was running on ethanol … They were cutting disks and chopping in the field … Chain saws were also on ethanol …
Mike