Firewood business?

I do well with firewood. My dad owns a logging and tree service company that I work for, along with 2 other tree services I work for. The dump trailer and v10 with dads company logo magnet on the side skirts me under the radar on the regular when delivering firewood. At an early age I was cutting and hauling in my long bed s10, with a high top canopy. Lots of blown tires, smoked clutches, and I killed that 2.8 v6 a few times. Lost the brakes coming off the hill once and proceeded down the mountain in 1st gear at 40mph, what a ride! Employed 3 best friends at 12$ an hour to split and stack while I ran the saw for over a year and we did pretty well and always stayed busy. When the breaks went out my buddy dustin in the middle left finger nail prints in the seat that were there till I sold the truck 6 years later. Had the battery bounce loose into the fan that was an interesting drive home with no lights in the dark. Had one road in particular that if I hit the bump in the road correctly I could wheelie the truck onto the back bumper and keep it there as long as I wanted. Young and dumb and making a buck was great times. Nowadays the dump trailer is the fast way for sure, have a 5yard dump truck in the works as well and one guy that occasionally hauls for dad and I with a 26 foot goose hauling logs to the mills or our friends personal mills if it’s good cedar for fence boards. There is money to be made here on the wetside with it if you can process fast. If dad picks it up with the log loader he can set it in the dump trailer while my brother and i jump in and wack rounds off landing into the trailer we can have a 10000 pound trailer loaded in 10 minutes. Fir goes 175-250 a load depending on split or not and delivery location. Hardwoods which around me is maple pretty much goes for 215-275 split. I have deliveries in seattle yearly to a guy that willingly pays 400 a chord no matter what the wood just to get it delivered. I save him half maple and half oldgrowth fir ( round here that is the best of the best firewood in my opinion) and take special care to stack it nicely for him almost always guarantees a nice 250$ tip

8 Likes

This would be something for you to follow Chris?
They make some firewood in the neighboring village.

2 Likes

Not sure why I’m just seeing this thread now.
I’m not sure how many campgrounds you have around there but here in MN with all the bugs infesting our trees here, firewood has to come from someone that is certified to sell firewood. Campgrounds sell wood for $5-6 per bundle. I would purchase a 12 cord truckload for $1200, then cut, split then bundle.

2 Likes

I think we only -require- that if you are transporting it out of county. If it is kiln dried, then you can sell it outside the county. Usually the bundled with the plastic have a firestarter in them which is like paraffin and sawdust. They may have changed that.

As an aside, I will buy from a roadside place, so I don’t have to pack wood. I don’t really like to because I like bigger fires then a bundle of wood provides though. Our state campground regs say you can’t leave with any wood. period.

When the ash borer first came to Michigan they put on restrictions for moving firewood across the bridge into the UP. Didn’t really help. I’m not sure if that’s still the case or not, but I see pulp cords being delivered to my county from all across the nothern Lower. The saw mill that cleared the property next to mine was from Mancelona so that’s three counties over. They hauled a lot of pulp out of here.

1 Like

I believe you needed a commercial license to move wood between counties or maybe regions. IE commercial can tell the difference between ash and maple by the bark. 95% of the population can’t. They also had to destroy the bark or debark it.

I’m sure you are right about the commercial license Sean. It takes a lot of truck and trailer to deliver a ten cord load and that’s normally the minimum order around here. The mill that cleared the property next to mine was from Mancelona and they hauled a lot of saw logs out but also a lot of pulp loads.