First gasifier project

Yup rules, regulations, signs everywhere, thats what has happened. Next thing we might see is “NO DOW”
Bob

7 Likes

I have one rule. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. All the rest of them I skirt or ignore whenever possible.

13 Likes

Tom, you and me both!

6 Likes

Yes, that is the only rule I follow. The rest cause mostly problems :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Yep! Never understood why the bible has “10 commandments” when that one covers all the rest.
By the way J.O. Olson, I hope that girl never gets to import those “one time barberques”. That would be just one more thing that people would throw out of their cars onto my front yard. TomC

5 Likes

Tom, I agree. Unless you can resque the alu tray and expanded metal for some of your projects :grinning:

7 Likes

Tom, these days l dubt anyone wuld throw anything metalic away. At least here, prices of scrap metals are insane. Wich is both good and sad, 2 reasons. Junk is geting cleared everywhere, and junk is geting cleared everywhere, if you know what l mean…

9 Likes

I have no idea what the price of scrap is since the scrap yard where I use to buy my “obtainium”, quit reselling scrap. Beer drinkers that drink and drive have no interest in saving beer/soda cans. They make a game out of trying to hit our mail boxes with the cans as they fly by. TomC

3 Likes

Hi Marshall , as Steve mentioned DC treadmill motors are great for your application also look out for scrap/old wheel chair motors , that what i use complete with the gear box for lots of low speed torque .
Dave

5 Likes

hello rindert, nice your small diameter gasifier, with waterdropper and cyklon…
i see it works without insulation…
have you a hot climate?
how it works in winter, at cold temperatures?
maybee you have seen on my thread, i have had difficult to get good gas when are cold temperatures…with insulation but has worked well then.
i would be interested what experiences you have made?
( a lot of things here on the forum i have not discovered yet…)
ciao giorgio

3 Likes

Here we have a very dry climate. It is too dry. Everything burns. Recently we had a very dangerous fire, 2100 homes are lost. They are calling this the Marshal Fire. But none died, so I am grateful.
But this is not what we are talking about. Yes my very simple gasifier worked in cold weather. But I think this was because the air here is very dry.
Rindert

5 Likes

hello rindert, thanks for answer…i guess now , why my small diameter gasifier not works without insulation when it is cold (hot temperature haven`t tried yet) has the reason that it is built from stainless steel, what has more heat transfer than mild steel ??
i observed on our water tank made of ss , when the sun shines on, it becomes so hot that one not could keep the hand on the metall, and this heat goes nearly to the water level…
ciao giorgio

3 Likes

Stainless has less heat transfer than plain steel. Takes longer to get hot.

3 Likes

Giorgio, three years ago I tried reducing our vegetable garden watering usage by using many hand watering cans.
Our summer pump supplied water is deep ground cold at 50 F.
Many organic gardener cried to me that vegetable water must be air temperature warmed, like rain.
I added more and more hand cans then in colored plastics. I would let them summer sun warm. Red cans. Blue cans. Black cans. White cans. Grey cans. And the original grey zink galvanized metal cans.
Not surprising the white cans warmed the least.
Very surprising the grey plastic cans, and even the grey metal cans heated the most. NOT the black plastic cans.
Observed phenomena.
I offer no explanation.

Regards
Steve unruh

6 Likes

Steve, are your vegetable plants warm blooded that they don’t like cold water? I never knew that made a difference to them.

3 Likes

Well DonM it was supposed to reduce the cellular growth stopped shocking time.

Maybe so.
Was a hot, dry summer three years ago. No rain for 60+ days. So I was only at the base of each plant watering three times a day. The dry soil in between, we had few weeds.
Wifie was pissed. Said i was killing her garden, “experimenting”.
So the next year back to 3 generations traditional overhead pressure sprinkling heavily twice a day.
Seasonal $500-700 watering bill. Lots of weeds. Expensive organic vegetables.

Sigh. And here the heavy mulchers will spring forward saying I/we needed to heavily deep mulch cover.
Tried that. The roots eaters and stem sucker bugs we have here ate more those years than we did. Lots of molds and blights spores in out rainforest soils here.
Mulch and then have to chemical nuke the garden.
We just do not winter freeze long and hard enough to knock back these problems.
“Location. Location. Location” Matters.
S.U.

8 Likes

I think selective watering is more helpful than mulching. Mulch can deposit too much minerals. Vascular plants can carry the water just fine to the extremities.

Maybe to automate a little bit, use a drum and connect to drip hose laid at the base of each row? The drum could absorb plenty of sun heat, blue barrel would maybe keep at a 70 degree temperature I suspect.

1 Like

Well, as SteveU says, you have to adapt to your climate but for a general rule I mulch the potatoes heavily with shredded leaves or leaf mold rather than hilling them with soil. I mulch kale and other cool weather crops because they really don’t like heated soil. Tomatoes I grow in black weed cloth because they love warm soil. No mulch on Curcubits because beetles will hide in it. I have never worried about water temp because I usually use drip irrigation. Even so, by the time the water gets down to the roots it’s not 50f anymore.

5 Likes