Flybridge on Vehicle

That is probably a better way to do it, you could possibly only have one reservoir that feeds to both, but that is more hassle than just to connect the two like you said.

2 Likes

How about some of the schemes for towing dinghies, like the Roadmaster:

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/brakemaster/brake_m.php

2 Likes

That does look like it would work alright, but in a show vehicle where the “art” aspect of it is important, that is not the best. A more permanent dual braking system is ideal.

1 Like

I think you will also need a couple of check valves so the pressure from one master won’t end up pushing backwards into the other.

1 Like

maybe the cylinder could be behind the firewall Or hidden somehow. If it was pull, maybe a cable or rod connected. And maybe not.

1 Like

I see where that could work, one really cool vehicle that is similar in height that is very rare is a GM futurliner, here is a picture of the vehicle, you need to step up some stairs to get to the drivers area.

4 Likes

Tyler, I am very familiar with this vehicle. A friend of mine, Don Mayton got a group of guys together in his pole barn in my township and restored Futureliner #10 which I visited quite often during restoration. Here is a video of Don explaining some of the process.

5 Likes

That is very interesting, it is sad that the televisions took away the idea of the parade of progress, and at the same time, all these vehicles are forgotten about and rotting in a field somewhere. I do remember some show restoring a futurliner, I think it was dave kindig that privately restored it and it got sent to Germany. I remember watching the whole restoration or what was at least what they filmed, it was very involved and ended up being an exact restoration.

2 Likes

It looks a bit too dangerous for anything but maybe a parade car, and possibly illegal in the states. But if -I- was going to do it, I would use electronic controls. It would be easier to do on something that already used electronic controls that you could just tap the wires like they do for autonomous tractors because the speed/direction and steering are all already electronic sensors that control the valves/motors.

3 Likes

That is good for if a vehicle had electronic controls, many buses, all that I’ve seen do not have electronic controls for brake, gas, and steering, but some newer models might have a more sophisticated electronic power steering that you could tap into and control from somewhere else, but if that fails, you have no backup steering, unlike the original controls that have a steering shaft that the power steering is just assisting. That is how many auto driving cars and cars that have lane departure protection work, the computer tells the steering what to to.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this one Don; I went on to watch 4-5 more videos on them. I saw a video about one in Sweden by it disappeared while I watch another one. TomC
Found it for my Swedish friends–https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFaj3kKnTk

3 Likes

Instead of a flybridge, perhaps you could do a roof raise commonly done in the school bus rv conversion communities, and instead of making a transition one window back of the driving area, you could raise it from the bottom portion of the windshield. by doing this, you could transform the bus from a large vehicle that still looks like a school bus, to a vehicle that looks straight out of a movie. This would not be effective for aerodynamics, gas mileage, or drivability, but it would be specifically a show vehicle. here is an image of a normal “skoolie” roof raise, The Broccoli Bus - Page 36 - School Bus Conversion Resources
here is the perspective drawing I made showing the windshield and all getting raised

A normal bus is the height of the starting point of the bottom of the new windshield location.

3 Likes