Gasifier Design Idea

No the 212 I think it might be on the small side to run the 420 cc engines.

2 Likes

I got a bit distracted by my farm for a while.

I have a simple question; when people put a grate shaker in, or something similar, what do people find is the best way to make a temperature resistant air tight seal around a rotatable shaft that penetrates the wall of the gasifier? I was thinking of an oil soaked fire rope, like the big end rope seal on my old tractor (but smaller, obviously).

1 Like

Hi, i once used the sealing end from an old water pump (centrifugal, water-ring pump), this was the type with stainless axle, and graphite rope seal, “stuffing box” with a big cap-nut to put pressure on the seal. Only drawback’s it was made of cast iron, but with little “innovative” welding it hold up well.
It’s also possible to make a seal like this from a ordinary compression fitting, for hydraulics for example, it’s easiest to drill them out so pipe or axle shaft goes right through, then some turns with stove rope and high temp grease, or graphite string (often available at plumbing supplies) where the little compression conical ring should be.
Many also uses fully-threaded rod, and nut welded in the side of gasifier, then a loose locking nut, for when it not in use.
Just some ideas. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Water pump! What a brilliant idea! The Cummins diesel engines have a super simple 2 bolt water pump that would be a shoe-in swap, add length to the inside impeller up to the grate, gasket surface and factory 2 bolts and however you want to actuate it on the outside

3 Likes