Joni's chip gasifier

Good morning Joni .

Thanks much for the pictures .

Having motor fuel all along the road must put big smile on your face :smiley:

Make sure you have some lemons nearby :blush:

( let me explain the lemon just in case you haven’t figured it out yet . Here on the DOW the people that are driving mile after mile on wood will have big smile on their face . Day after day this smile will begin to hurt face . We discovered biting in to a lemon will give some temporary relief of face :grin: :smile: )

9 Likes

Wow Joni, you have refueling piles along the road side, nice. They do the same here, but they are spread out so there is no pile.
Bob

1 Like

No. Not a liked design by most here Joni.
Direct contact of hot char to the metals. Ouch!
No fuel moisture reducing features.
An APL/GEK precursor. What zardozHenry showed you.

We all like yours, and Sergei’s much much better. Modern features and capabilities . . . with individual surprises. It had been gasfier Christmas for us.
Regards
Steve unruh

3 Likes

SteveUnruh,
what do you think about such a design?

6 Likes

Excellent.
Short and squat so obviously for front-of-vehicle; rear-of-vehicle.
I am stationary so we can use the same features but go form-factor taller.

For my personal use I would want the most modern known features of a Joni Hopper Vapor Extractor.
A Ben Peterson drop-in inner flow shaper/insulation retainer sleeve.
And an up from the bottom rotatable post mounted grate. My Doulas Fir wood makes very fragile char easily crushed by the chain hanging, upward swing grates. Grate move gently . . . to not at all. An under 1% ash fuel wood.

I am looking for a drop-in sleeve picture. Unique. New. No historical reference. Ben Peterson's new Gasifier Plans? - #30 by JayMcB74
Then scroll up to post #15 on this topic for pictures of my own personal system with ~600 hours usage in its internals.
S.U.

3 Likes

on the left side pipe out ,charcoal fuel this would be water condensation dripping out ? On wood chip fuel this would be steam , smoke ?

2 Likes

it’s a wood gasifier!

1 Like

I like it! similar to my Ford Ranger build, short. I would take the left side air in, and move it to right, through the gas out, to preheat incoming air.

2 Likes

Joni,
Does this also come from the engineer Rybnikov? I want to see those old documents. I cannot find him on the internet.
Rindert

2 Likes

R_wesseling,
ha ha ha! They made me laugh, no, this creation was not invented by the engineer Rybnikov, it’s out of my head! :woozy_face:

8 Likes

r_wesseling,
if you’re interested, I could give you details about my gasifier.:smiley:

4 Likes

do any of you have such or a similar system?

6 Likes

Eugene, it’s good that you’re selflessly posting sketches, plans, to build carburetors, I also plan to build an efficient carburetor on wood chips, but I’m still thinking about the details.

2 Likes

Yes. Our one active French member is very involved with these Brant based systems. Very much more developed now versus this historic.
He will read this.
Chime in as he pleases.
Some he can disuss.
Most in commercial development, and current use lock.
Just so. VesaM does much commercial work too he cannot talk about.

Me . . . I avoid that.
So I can freely jabber-mouth. (a joke. a weak joke.)
But actually a serious warning. You either are, already. Or soon be asked to commercially develop too Joni.
It IS possible to wear both shoes. But they will pinch at times. Expect this.
S.U.

2 Likes

Joni,
Yes, I am interested. Please give me details. I am a mechanical engineer. I like mathematics. I love Isaac Newton style physics. I have worked on a dairy farm, so I am practical. I will understand you.
Rindert

3 Likes

Steve, thanks for your feedback

2 Likes

Good Morning Mr Tone,
Reading back I feel I may have come across as too critical.

Actually your sketched up design has some rare, rare features.
Your complete third outer jacket skin for heat recovery as one.
I’ve only ever seen use of that once.
Kurt Johansson (sp) Australia in the 1980’s.
He seemed happy with this feature. Worth the building.
And your second revised sketch shows much thought into the actual construction and maintenances seams.
Going this level shows serious intent and real works using experiences.

I checked and there is a live link to Larry Dobsons stationary systems works in the DOW library. He of course is much more detailed on his systems and design use experiences and philosophy.
I and one other actually contacted him and visited for an afternoon back in ~2010.
He is one of the real Leonardo type renaissance men.
His last known works was his from previous rectangular to a round: OmniFueled gasifer. He released a detailed plan set able to be CAD loaded. That link however appears to be no longer supported.
The real problem with one-man set ups . . . one car wreck, heart attack, or just energy burn out and then Poof! . . . it’s all gone.
Only if saved by an info-junkie-archivist.

Regards
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

My sincere apology correction. You DID have monorator moisture reducing features in your revised sketch up. Externally water cooled even:

I was wrong.
Again sincerest apologies.
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

You’re a good man, Steve, I accept criticism in good faith because criticism usually points to a limited spectrum of thought, thank you for your effort. I am currently too busy to realize the idea, but I will soon start making a gasifier and will report back.
Greetings Tone

7 Likes

1 Like