Life goes on - Summer 2022

O.K.
Two power outages up at the new retirement place now.
“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”

Work loading the bigger Yamaha 2800 inverter-generator now. Before the actual need.

Eco-mode low RPM.
Good for ~700 watts.
S.U.

10 Likes

Wife made some wind chimes today, i got inspired and made one myself, of the more “masculine” kind. :laughing:

17 Likes

More clanking and less tinkling, I like it.

9 Likes

Ha! Ha! I see you both like outside Winter Cheer lights too. Well worth the wattage.
Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Yup, I bought the Predator simply to experiment with. However Id rather have the 9000 watt non inverter counter part. The inverter has zero benefit for me because the equipment I run could care less about the signal.

What Im curious about is the DC side. What I want to be able to do is combine multiple units so you have redundancy along with power on demand. Might be possible to run the DC leg from one generator and combine it with another and run one inverter on one of the generators. This is for non parallel capable machines. But if you ran battery chargers then it doesnt matter you can team any generator sets on the DC side. Running teams is the way to go though.

Anyways yeah if something breaks on the Predator good luck. lol. You can find engine rebuild kits but for anything else its non existent. However I bet you could run other brand inverters.

Eventually I will test the DC output of the gen head. From what I have found from the Chinese manufacturers they are 60 volt DC output. So this would be perfect for 48 volt system direct charging and then you could bypass the onboard inverter unit. So next time you see a deal on a return at HF snag it!!.

9 Likes

Started an Argos 2022 sign-up thread.
Argos 2022 Signup form - Events - Drive On Wood!

2 Likes

MEN finally got their gasifier plans back in print so I bought one. Just to see if I’m missing anything from their still published articles on their website.

3 Likes

Trying to avoid thread diversion on the School bus thread but I want to know why the under carb plenum idea doesn’t seem to have worked out and thank you SteveU for digging it out. I’m starting to think that there is nothing new under the sun. At least everything I think up has already been tried. There are some very smart people hanging out here.

I bought those plans when they first came out Cody. Never did anything with them. I think it was because I didn’t know where to get hog hair for the filter or some idiotic excuse.

3 Likes

I think the under carb plenum works fine, but MEN also modified 2 and 4 barrel carbs to run one half on gasoline and the other half on woodgas. Primary barrel(s) I think was woodgas so you could cruise on wood and have a gasoline passing gear, I’ll have to read it again.

I like both designs but the modified carb only works with so many makes and models. My DGEV Weber 32/36 isn’t compatible with their Pinto Motorcraft 2bbl even though it’s a Weber design. I’d rather save the Weber and move onto a dual throttle. Maybe replicate what Goran did with his truck and have a selector. One pedal, with a switch.

3 Likes

I had a idea drawn out for that system somewhere, duel throttle cables under the dash and with throw of a lever you would switch from the petroleum cable to the woodgas cable, really think it would be easy to make

3 Likes

Goran has a drawing of what he did. Pedal cable turns an idler pulley with a bolt in it, there’s a hex shaft that when it’s pulled in and out selects the different throttles.

I’m fine with just having a throttle lever for gasoline, at least then I can set a high idle for warming up or keeping demand decent on the gasifier for long stops.

1 Like

Good Morning Tom and Cody.
The Op there will have to sort out his carbureted gasoline engine woodgas system on that re-purposed school bus too. So not actully a drift in this.

MENS used a GM Rochester spread-bore four barrel carburetor.
The small gasoline stretching primary bores were left gasoline. For their idle flow circuits. For their just off idle transition circuits.
They then hogged into the side of the carburetor body on the huge bores secondary side, to suck draw-in the woodgas. The big upper flap on the top of the secondaries on this carburetor converted from vacuum operated with mechanical lock out; then to be free, with cable operated to be the air-to-woodgas manual control.
They’d had 2-3 other separately controls and mixing system tried in the years previously.
I sent to ChrisS. all of those original magazines.
Copyrighted he can’t just Library load them up.

See. The MENS literature is Gold just here.
S.U.

4 Likes

All MEN articles are available on their DVD’s or whatever they use now. I think the last one I have was 2012. I dropped my subscription last year after fifty years because they are no longer relevant to me. I can’t afford any thing they advertise anyway, but those archive DVD’s are way worth the price of admission. The magazine was not anything like the original when Shuttleworth shut it down and then sold it to the yuppie publisher. The first twenty years were great. Anybody remember “The Whole Earth Catalog”? It’s how you got things before Ebay and Amazon. Old man walking down memory lane.

8 Likes

Lol! Im working inside today!
I wonder what all the “work from home” people are doing today? Prolly packing up their U-Hauls, and lining up on the lift bridge, getting ready to convoy south.

10 Likes

Haha, what a misery Bruce. The southerners must think you’re pulling their leg - showing pics from January :smile:

7 Likes

I need to do something with this old Kawasaki motor. Mounted in a DR walk behind brush hog. Mom put it away when the clutch stopped working.

Engine as far as I know still works.
Pressurized oil system is very tempting. OHV, cast iron sleeved bore. Uses an oil filter. Sounds like more hours between oil change intervals.

Maybe connect to a brushless motor and rectify to DC?
Or an old alternator.

Vertical shaft engine, probably straight shaft.

14 horsies when they’re new. Sounds good to me.

Looks like the way to remove the old ignition control module you can just buy a new electronic coil and install it flipped. No more transistorized module to go bad.

I’m sure the ignition in this FB460 is the same as the FC420V.

2 Likes
1 Like

I have two of these Granger Sasquatch engines. Both are Kawasaki 340s, one with a snapped rod and the other is stuck (still on the bike). They are horizontal shaft.
If you need parts lemme know and we can figure out shipping.

2 Likes

Right now I’m looking for a one piece electronic coil so I won’t be at the mercy of a separate ignitor. The knockoff ones don’t last as long as the Kawasaki ones.

1 Like

@tcholton717
Bobby Swain is still alive. The junk yard is still going too. If you ever need bizarre pieces for anything they will have it.

I had not seen him in 15yrs.
He on the big curve after Bellaire but before Shanty creek. Comfort Rd and M88

I asked him to find me a Michigan 75A steer axle. Next time I stop he will have it ready.

8 Likes