Life goes on - Summer 2022

This truck has a brand new target master 350 in it. I rescued this truck in 2008. We gave my buddy the septic tank it had on it. We needed to dig post holes and trench for a solar project, so my son and I welded the mount for the backhoe, and attached it to the hydraulics on the truck.
Look at all that space for a gas producer behind the cab!

11 Likes

That is a SASSY ol Chev!

4 Likes

Just found out about Broad forks. These are exactly what I need for my heavy clay soil. Looked up how much they cost.

Some as much as 200 dollars for an overgrown afro pick for soil!

Going to make my own, I have a pile of old lawnmower blades, I’ll probably only need 2 blades to make 4 long teeth. That’s as wide as I’d need to fluff up the clay some and remove pesky turf.

4 Likes

In a week Midsummer festivities start. On the news they say there will be a snaps shortage in liquor stores. That was the last straw…isn’t that right @KristijanL ? :rofl:
I just brought the planer outside to prepare some lumber. I just got started with a few boards and from nowhere a rain shower. Hurried to back the trailer back in, cover the planer and pushed the chunk trailer under the carport. Sitt’n on the porch (veranda) waiting for the rain to stop.

10 Likes

Same. Same here far-west Pacific Northwest J.O.
Very wet, wet still cool Spring, early summer.
I am still making morning chill chasing woodstove fires.
None have been able to get spring growth hay in. It is over maturing now losing nutritional content.
None here able to get field crop or seeds planted gardens started. Soils are still too wet.
“Nice” green, and pleasant compared to the hot sweltering across most of North America.
But the local/regional west-side foods crops growing days now tick-tock’ing down until the first frosts in early September are far less than 100 now. Be no corn, drying beans, oats, or tomatoes here now.

Thankfully the trains and trucks still ship in bulk foods. Here is where the Dino fuel prices will really, really hurt come next Fall and Winter.
S.U.

7 Likes

JO, you better bring out the old still! But if you need a emergancy delivery we are here for you :smile:

Report comes later, now just a teaser. Any guesses what it is?
For size perspective, the grates rebars are 8mm

12 Likes

Hmm I’m drawing a big blank, but noticing how sturdy everything looks I think I have an idea.

2 Likes

I hear you JO, trying to get some welding done between rain storms and the wind blowing. It is the wind trun right now. And I am sitting here right now writing this down. Pulling the welder out and putting it back in under cover, I am getting pretty quick at that.
Bob

5 Likes

Your tractor? That will be a nice addition to helping you farm. 8 mm rebar that should work nicely.
Bob

6 Likes

First test of Sassy, seems legit.

9 Likes

what a B-E-A-uty! I had the idea to build something like this a long time ago since I saw someone with a unimog that had a bucket on the front and a backhoe on the rear, I thought it was pure genius to have a road drivable tractor loader backhoe, with cargo space! And as you said, all that room for a producer system. Even room to spare for a hydraulic drive chunker hint hint wink wink
even better its a c60, I got a love affair with those old round fender trucks

7 Likes

And on this side of the pond grain rotting away in Ukrainian storages. Starvation to come in Africa and the Middle East.

New charcoal Skoda heart is my guess.

That’s when you envy @Norman89’s fabrication facility.

8 Likes

We discussed some time ago, don’t remember wich thread, about uses for wood-turpentine, this afternoon i found it useful in old kerosene blow-torches, light up pretty easy after somewhat longer pre-heating.

Very clear flame, hard to see in daylight.

Had to try on this piece of angle iron.
I think it’s good to know, could be helpful in emergency situations.

11 Likes

Evening bite was good came home with 10 trout in just over an hour

17 Likes

Making me drull Marcus! Few foods l enjoy more thain fish, and trout is high on the list of favourites!

10 Likes

Perfect size for 10 min in the smoker. Food for gods.

10 Likes

Power outage at friend’s house.

They lack a generator or charging brick for phones, they’ve been charging with their cars. Bringing them some chargers to borrow until the electricity is back. Their neighbors are all wasting Dino, he says he can hear at least 5 running right now.

He knows about my wood gas escapades so I think I’ll finally teach him how to operate one, and I’ll help him build a 12v charging simple genny.

12 Likes

There are trout in almost every body of water around my state rivers lakes streams and ocean run cutthroat as well. Excellent table fair and the boys enjoy them very much as fast as I can smoke them up they will eat them. How do you guys like to prepare your trout? If I get a good quality red or pink meat fish I like them with a bit of butter and onion maybe a splash of red wine cooked on the coals in tinfoil. The poorer quality fish that have light color meat usually get a brown sugar and salt brine over night and 4-6 hours on applewood or hickory smoke and those are like CANDY to the boys! If I don’t take a few from the finished batch with me to work they will be gone before I get home :joy:

7 Likes

Wild trout is nearly extinct here so all we get is farmed. No red or pink except if fed coloured food (wich some actualy do). Taste isnt the same as the wild one. We just pan fry them. My father used to smoke them thugh, and l plan too once l get our pond made.

I do however smoke carp. I catch one or two 10 pounders each fall when they are fattest and l smoke the meat, the fatty meat is excelent for smoking and grinding in to a spread.

14 Likes

So that is part of the homestead plan is the pond will be a trout pond? That will be a huge asset that pairs well with your other live stock, diversified food is good for the mind. Many prepper types think on one big form of food such as cows or pig, and while I would be very happy to live on those 2 a fresh fish, rabbit, grouse or quail is a refreshing meal!

9 Likes