Life goes on - Winter 2015

Congratulations Chris. That sounds like a very positive move. I think generally wood gassers are uncomfortable city dwellers, at least compared to the helpless, and proudly skill-less normal urbanites. I hope that goes well for you.

I’m on a similar path, came from the farm, been living and working in a small city for too many years, now in the process of setting up a farm, and a completely different life in a very quiet area far to the north. The difficulty is that our society monetizes everything, and places no value on self sufficiency, / the market is completely distorted by very undervalued fossil energy inputs, and now over generations our cultural values and skills along with. So to lead a real and meaningful life while paying the bills requires unconventional values, views and skills.

Garry Tait, Manitoba

7 Likes

-14 C out today, but sunny :sunny: Can’t remember when I last saw the sun.
Spent all day out and really got something done. Like Wayne said the other day - makes you feel much better when you get to sweat. I get really itchy when I don’t.
Ended up in the tub. Boiler roaring downstairs. Filled up all the way to my chin. Hot water feels so nice and soft when you know it’s free :grin: SWEG (smiling with every gallon)

8 Likes

Go for it. I felt that way 40+ years ago.

2 Likes

The wife and I went out wood burning a couple of hours today and noticed the grass is green on the other side of the fence .

Come on spring.:relaxed:

7 Likes

Getting pretty anxious here to Wayne. I spread some wood ash on a foot of snow in the garden today. While I was out there I dug some carrots I left in the fall. Under the snow, a foot of leaves and pine needles, a blue tarp and another foot of leaves I was surprised to find green grass and the carrots were already sprouting. Amazing that all this is going on under the snow. Who would ever imagine.

7 Likes

I saw this '46 Chevy truck (with some nice batteries in the back) at the store. The owner said it was almost all Factory (except things like spark plugs).

9 Likes

The other biomass vehicle - runs with haygas

14 Likes

Don if it were me I would stick with the Tracker. It has to be warmer.

5 Likes

Very dangerous design. The position of the gasifier makes it very possible for the gas to fill the cab very quickly.TomC

13 Likes

I think that subject comes up in a very fine Film, IMHO.
Link for trailer “The Worlds Fastest Indian”
The World's Fastest Indian (2005) - IMDb.
Another movie for a cold winters evening.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link Mike my favorite of all times. Lots of great lessons in that movie.

1 Like

I bought this truck with the intention of only using the motor and transmission and the rear end for a chunker. But I looked at it again today and I am wondering if I could use the frame rails for a homemade sawmill. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

My uneducated guess is that "you could use them for a home made saw mill, but I don’t have any idea how well it would work or how big of logs you could use with it.

If you are thinking of using the frame as the carriage track, you are going to need some pretty big “train wheels” to ride on them.

1 Like

Or he could weld some upside down angle iron onto the tops and use the “V-notch” wheels I see occasionally.

Link to similar product: http://www.amazon.com/RWM-Casters-V-Groove-Bearing-Capacity/dp/B00426CB5U

1 Like

Few people realize just how flamable haygas really is; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNVcRK4F4g

1 Like

I would vote for making life less complicated, and just use new tubular steel, steel is very cheap now anyways. Woodmizer uses a single 4x8 standard wall tube with 1" shaft for guides top and bottom (cantilever single rail). 1" rod will naturally shed sawdust and bark, significant especially in freezing weather. I would expect a vehicle frame wouldn’t be as dimensionally accurate.

Regards,

Garry Tait, Manitoba

1 Like

I have not had anywhere to go lately, and the cold weather (like I said before) has put a damper on all outdoor activities for me. Supposed to get dumped on tomorrow, about 10 inches or so anyways, but warmer weather is also on it’s way. Hopefully I can make it to Argos this year. Now that we have 3 kids, Nicole doesn’t like it much when I leave her home alone with them all!!! I will have to find a sitter!

4 Likes

I’ve seen a circle saw inside an old school buss. A lot of circle mills have been set on blocking right on the ground. You just learn to shim.

1 Like

How to quiet a Harbor Freight 2-stroke StormCat generator in 10 seconds.

Keep the plywoods angles at 45 degrees. NOT touching the generator. Do on grass or dirt.

Take-Actions-This-Day
Steve Unruh

4 Likes