My charcoal tractor

very nice David… more pics and videos please… nice sounding machine

Good Morning David .

Just a word of caution . Woodgas is very addictive . Once you see the flame , hear the motor and feel the power it may be to late to turn back .

Great job
BBB

3 Likes

Already too late Wayne … Cheaper then my other addiction though… Solar power

1 Like

Well I opened it up after its first run and things seem to be right on spec. The gas exits 2/3rds of the way up the side so with that as the gas’ maximum distance to reduce the tractor stopped right when it should have(1/3 down). I will add a snorkel type pipe to extend it upward which should give me more range. The cyclone must be doing a great job (thanks Stephen) because the filter was clean. There was some water in the filter housing so I think exhaust recycling instead of water drip was the right choice. So, all and all very happy just wish I had more time to play…
David

Hey David,

sounds like you’re having fun… that is awesome. what size of inlet/outlet on your cyclone?

Looks great DavidB
You said you were going to do this . . . .
Then you did.
Thanks for the stills pictures here and over on the Charcoal Gasifiers Group.

REgards
Steve Unruh

Hey Arvid, the cyclone is 1 inch in, 1 inch out works fine for charcoal Stephen thought it was under sized for the HP. I didn’t open then bottom cap yet interested in seeing how much dust is there… Hey Steve now I just have to get home when there is enough light for some better shots…

Hi David
Is that the same cyclone that Stephen had running horizontally ?
That was one impressive test!
Would he be willing to send me the dimension ratios ?
Thanks patrick

i’ll see if i can find more

1 Like

Thanks Arvid
So there is no taper inside as with a conventional cyclone ?
Thanks Patrick

Here is a daytime video walk around of the tractor. The ignition stayed on so the battery was dead… Next time startup

2 Likes

yes you are correct, no taper. you still need an exit at the bottom and a reservoir for what collects. I believe on my 1 1/2 inch in and out it was 2 inch at the bottom.

typically on a 1 d 3 d the length is 3 x the tube ID. having it shorter will give you a higher pressure drop across the cyclone than having it longer. At least that is what Stephen has found in testing.

Hi Arvid
That is so much easier to construct !!!
I will have to try one to see if it is as effective at Stephen makes it look.
But I have found that the carbon soot is so fine that it just does not get separated In a conventional cyclone.
When I empty the soot into a bucket is so light that if you drag your finger through the soot there is no feeling or resistance on you finger!
But will give it a go !

Thanks Patrick

great job on the tractor David. Any idea on fuel consumption yet?

Went to the Wilberforce Agricultural fair today. Lots of interest and after a friend (thanks Wyatt) cleaned and adjusted my points I had my best run yet of 95 minutes of run time at a high idle running on softwood charcoal. Went to refill and it had burned 6 gallons of charcoal…
video here:

and some stills for the dial up crowd
A great day…

4 Likes

Nice looking and running machine.

1 Like

Thanks for the video and pictures Mr.Dave

Looks like you got it going your way !!

Thanks Wayne,
A little paint changes the look a lot…

Sounds good looks good
real nice!