Normans chunker v1

Great deal Marcus.
At 9:15 you were looking over your plasma cut. I was looking over you for smoking’ shirt.
Darn. I so much love, “Sir! Sir! You’re on Fire!”

Once you switch over to raw wood limb and stick form billets your eyes will be opened up.
No way similar to kiln cooked, then reweeted woods.
You’ll see. Ride the tar edge for the reward of a higher %, CH4 powerful engine gas.
S.U.

5 Likes

I knew someone was going to say something about fire haha my service shirts are flame retardant, and service coats and flame resistance. Pretty much needed for how often I play with fire! If you saw my short video a while back you will know my prison blue jeans are not fire retardant :grin:

6 Likes
10 Likes

Great repair on the chunker.
The speed of your chunker is twice as fast as compared to mine. Mine is a one wood chunk, two wood chunks, three wood chunks
Yours chunker is a one chunk, two chunks, three chunks, four chunks, five chunks, too fast for this old boy. Lol.
You are going to have to make a trip over here on Wood one of these days when the big Dodge is done. By the way the asparagus is poping up and ready up north at Chelan area to pick. The last rain storm made a big difference.
Bob

6 Likes

Need a sick day soon I think for some asparagus!

4 Likes

As usual another great video Marcus . Thanks very much for posting .

4 Likes

Cutting pretty good now, need to make up a bunch and get the dodge on the road so I can go full bore on the gassifier build!

3 Likes

Very impressive chunker. I really like the KISS screening system.

I would like to see the motor and tensioner. Are you still running on propane?

4 Likes

For the time being yes it’s still on propane. The 7lb bottle will make up about a month worth of chunks, and I get the propane at work at a discounted rated so I havnt gotten after the woodgas setup yet, and not had time to build it. The motor is still screw style tentioned, though I’m still wanting to do a belt style tentioned like yours, but I’ll need to solid mount the motor to do that correctly. I set it up this way so I can run a wide array of belt sizes if I wasn’t able to get the correct size for a tentioned setup, but the motor mount is becoming a problem, the leveling bolts keep breaking off when it hits a hard piece and the belt doesn’t slip fast enough. I have taken to running the belt looser to prevent this and induce more belt slip instead of breaking the mounts

6 Likes

You have such a good working system that I wouldn’t change it.
Propane is a very clean burn so the motor (8 hp?) will be very reliable.
A smaller drive pully will slow things down, provide more torque and also slip easier.

5 Likes

I know I got wimpier in my old age but welding a small piece of angle to your new thrust plate and bolting a cover over the cutter would ease my mind. Can’t see how it would interfere with it’'s operation. Can’t see any real point from swapping from propane as long as it’s readily available. As always, a pleasure to see your progress.

5 Likes

Absolutely Tom, but that is also why I have not put on any guards yet is I’m still getting the chunker dialed in to perform as best I can. I would have had to cut all the guards off as well for this rebuild. If in a month or so I have a good stockpile of wood and it is performing well, I want to make a window like how Wayne’s chunker has that the chunks feed through it, and really not big enough to get a gloved hand into. In my best guess this chunker really is not meant for big wood, with how I have the minimum contact area of belt to pulley, the belt slip on a larger chunk of feed stock tells me for my normal kiln dried lumber this is not a power house chunker. Now that opinion may change when I get some truck loads of green branches to start feeding through it, it may like those much more. I see a lot more high torque electric chunkers that I am very impressed with how well they take the larger stuff, like Gary’s chunker. Ultra low speed gear reduction blast apart anything. I am really impressed with Jo’s chunker and how fast that little rebakk can slam through chunks. In theory it never stops chunking, by the time the first cut is complete the second cut had started and it just plows right along. That’s the reason I really want to make one and test it out on the other side of my current chunker, see if the 6.5hp on propane or maybe even woodgas can see that type of production. Though it is made for smaller feed stock I think it is the fastest chunker I have seen

7 Likes

On my chunker the wood feed shoot is bolted on and not welded on so it can be removed to worked on the chunker.
A bolt on guard wood shoot is the way to go in my opinion and it can be made to be adjustable for feeding stock.
I can’t put one on mine chunker but the vertical auto wood feed shoot is cool when you get down to the short pieces, drop it in and grab another long piece of wood to feed manually into the chunker when it is done.
Bob

5 Likes

Let’s see what she can handle shall we?

11 Likes

The wheels came off this morning, but it is working I guess. Definitely function over form for the time being. And if anyone else wants to use a generator motor to power a chunker, here is a quick trick to free up the gen head from the tapered crank shaft

13 Likes

I bet a slice off a leaf spring would hold up better for a cutting edge too, my 1971 nova back in late 70’s leaf spring main leaf broke, i plated it and welded back and it lasted over a year., before Sold the car or traded.I was surprised how well it welded and held to gether. Though it might need heating too get it too fit the cutting wheel shape.

3 Likes

Marcus, have you thought about automatic wood feeding, if you designed the knife like this, mounted the housing at a bit of an angle

5 Likes

Well Marcus just proves you’ve always needed more speed and power.
Anyhow good example of Use-it-Up. Wear-it-Out. Make-Do. Or, do-Without.
S.U.

7 Likes

Tone
I have thought about a auto feed feature, but I think I will leave that to the rebak later down the road when I have time
Steve
I am very surprised the difference i can feel in power going from the 6hp on propane to 8hp on dino. Definitely more low end grunt. I left the carb untouched it is exactly as it were on the generator and runs lower rpm im guessing 1800-2200 and has plenty of power to chunk semi dry doug fir of the 2×2" variety. When something larger comes along say 2x3" and knarled up pieces the rpm will ramp up, but not fast enough to power through a real nasty piece I did stall it out once. But it definitely does show as I susupexted I needed more power. Bonus even if this motor ends up being temporary, it is a cast iron sleeved industrial grade briggs. More betters me think

6 Likes

Good morning Marcus .

With more power you definitely could chunk faster but I think the key to avoiding stalls is more fly wheel .

9 Likes