Nozzles for Charcoal gasifiers, part 2

What a great find and a Gem!

2 Likes

Yep i second that , Nice find Koen , now can you find where the photo’s on the unit are please or i may be forced to go to the museum and climb over the rails to inspect .
Interesting reference to using red gum for more power , this seasons wood i am burning at home will be a lot of red gum and blue gum so lets see how i get on .
Good to see your still around Troy
Dave

3 Likes

i built a water cooled nozzle. it seems to be working fine so far.it s a vertical nozzle to gasify down draft.
the water tank is inside the hopper. the nozzle passes through the tank and the water communicates directly with the cooling space (without connection pipes)
image0
image1

the steam that emerges from the hot water is channeled into the central pipe of the nozzle to be added to the primary air.
I chose this design because it makes it possible to better recycle, in the gasifier, the heat losses (vs. a water-cooled nozzle with an external radiator)
the problem that I encounter is that I have no way of knowing the water level of the tank. If anyone has a suggestion on this subject, I am very interested in knowing it!
Thierry

6 Likes

maybee something like the design on the left side…the right side is not frost resistant…
i think you will suck in the steam by holes around the primary air pipe?
there , from my opinion, should be some kind of steam regulation, in way you can control how much steam is added…maybee a system as some old imbert air-gas mixers have had…
over the primary air pipe (with the holes for steam) is another piece of pipe, also with holes.
full steam: outer holes over inner holes
less steam: move besides the outer pipe til a more or less space of the inner holes remains open…

4 Likes

Don’t we say “a picture is worth a thousand words”
thank you Giorgio very interesting ideas. I particularly like the model on the left but I fear that the bubbling water will make it unreadable once the gasifier is on

9 Likes

I like it! Simple and self adjusting (to a point)

10 Likes

I should have taken pictures of the assembly but I wasnt thinking as I was trying something new. The air inake holes I used to drill the pipe the cap is screwed onto and for mass production its a pain to do it identical to the last one everytime. So instead I decided to drill into the cap face around where the drip tube feeds in. That is much easier to reproduce and I think it will work a lot better flowing the intake air over the end of the drip tube to keep it flowing.

Changing up the color scheme for 2024 as well :slight_smile: but here you can see this installed.
Edit: well that come out smaller than I was hoping.

If I remember tommorow Ill take it apart so you can see the whole assembly. Its very simple and you can remove the nozzle end for easy replacement.

17 Likes

I think it would be cool to see with some clear pipe how well it atomizes the droplets.

Or with a camera inside an empty gasifier and a vacuum motor pulling on it.

10 Likes

Actually you can see right in there. Just dont get too close!!! We call you one eye!! lol.

The cool thing is it also acts as a flash arrestor. So a bit of self regulating with this design.

13 Likes

I had to take sick day today, Up all night coughing, I should be back at it tomorrow.

8 Likes

You probably needed a break anyway. Hope you are feeling well soon.

7 Likes

Yeah we built over 60 machines last year. But things slowed way down November so Ive been pretty laxed. But now is the next market cycle so things will be ramping back up here soon. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thats averaging more than 1 a week, plus all your r and d. impressive

10 Likes

Matt, I pray that The YEHOVAH God Almighty will heal you back up completely for His Name sake and give you strength for this up coming year with many blessings in and by His word the Son Yeshua to you and your work place and the people that work for you.
60 units last year is a big blessing, that is making more than one a week for your business. With the man power you have is that about the limit you can make? Or can you make a lot more in a week?
Very impressive.

10 Likes

Roughly 6 units a month!! Yes with two people but we no longer build one machine at a time. Ive adopted mass production models its way faster and easier that way.

11 Likes

Ok I got some Pics!!

So here this is a 3/4 inch nipple with a 1/2 inch nipple inserted into the 3/4. When the 3/4 nipple is threaded into the 1 to 3/4 bushing it locks it in place as NPT is a tapered thread. You can cut slits into the end of the 3/4 nipple to help compress and bite down if needed.

So here inside there is a step where the 1/2 inch nipple ( nozzle ) is inserted. So if the water drip is left on after a stall or shut down; it cant leak into the reactor. Orient one of the air intake holes in the cap down so it can drain out instead.

17 Likes

That step also creates turbulance to further atomize the water into the air stream.

11 Likes

So those three hole are the total intake air going into the gasifier or is there another intake for more air?
I like it Matt great thinking on the water intake nozzle and auto drain water out.

6 Likes

Nope the old version had four holes and that was plenty for the engine range the gasifier is designed to run. Having the 3 instead just turns up the volocity it will probably work better at atomizing the air with the water and do a better job at breaking the surface tension. I doupt the engine is going to care. But Ive been wrong before lol

If not then you can always punch more holes in the 3/4 inch nipple.

4 Likes

The only thing that I think that matters is the total combined area of the intake holes needs to match or be greater than the ID of the nozzle. I think these 5/16 holes are about the same area or a little more the ID of the 1/2 pipe nozzle. I have not done the math as I can just look at it.

6 Likes