Nozzles for Charcoal gasifiers, part 2

It was a haf-assed spelling error on my part. I’m not sure those were the right elements either.

Here is yttrium.

You are right. but for testing it is faster and easier to reprogram then to make a new disk or cylinder. Heat would be a concern, but the solenoids don’t have to be right next to the nozzle, you could pipe it in. Even with a rotating disk, you aren’t going to want the motor next to the heat.

Now, if you find a specific pattern that works well, it might be a lot easier/cheaper to replicate using electromechanical.

In the reactor, i suspect it starts acting like the bubbling motion of a fluidized bed without the fluidizing material.

I also suspect it is going to be a bit harder to get started.

That’s my thought for avoiding the motor getting too hot - needs to be external. And if the nozzles are holes drilled in the side of a single pipe, they would be sharing the heat and cooling from the “cold” fresh air that is introduced.

But hey - curious to hear other ideas.

well this is not really an idea but its my thoughts and for what its worth and what i use at least 150+ days a year with no or very little down time keep it simple and when your piece of pipe or store bought nozzle material wears out then change it treat it as a consumable as long as you can get decent run times from it why over complicate /automate a system that is bullet proof .

Dave

6 Likes

Curiosity mostly. But that killed the cat… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You know that was just my lame attempt at humor, Sean. Long ago I learned that eventually they would fill the whole table of elements. Not your fault or mine that they make up stupid names to do so.

2 Likes

So much fun going on here… Let me ad some 2 cents on that pile…
There is no “ever lasting solution” one way or the other, there is klinker and there is klinker…
The hotter its made glowing, yes the better the gas, but…

If your nozzle design / idea follows the simple rule of getting the nozzle tip cooled, then it will last longer or can run hotter.

design parameters: what is the ash melting temperature of your fuel ?
If you have high purity of charcoal, then the molecule surface of the carbon reacting with the oxygen molecule will get the hottest, up to 4000ºC , where the Carbon can sublimate into pure C-gas
Depending the next layers of carbon molecules and or the additional tar’s, or heat consuming factors, things can get extreme hot…
(To bear in mind: the heat shields from spacecrafts is made from purest carbon, which is an optimal insulator for heat transfer )

Trying short story:
Dissipate / extract the heat from the nozzle tip outwards to the walls of your gasifier
Some pictures from old charcoal gasifiers even show a cooling fin assembly for that purpose , the fin’s pointing towards the direction of driving.
Copper does wonders, but understanding the concept of thermodynamics wil bring you your own solutions.

There is the KIS way and there is your way, but there is no wrong in doing and learning

My way: KIS and daily maintenance
In the non KIS versions, i have molten more metal and cracked more ceramics then i can remember…

So much fun in doing

6 Likes

i thought about something else when i was getting my wood stove going around this season in ky i find myself building small fires just at night to take the chill off its also a time when im burning scraps and damp wood as you can imagine its a pita to get burning so that means i use a hand pump for an air bed with a pipe on the end
i noticed something occurred and it hit me wet/damp/green wood just chars
causeing a carbon scorch what if you took a block drilled a hole soaked it then put your nozzle pipe in the drilled hole leaving a gap sure the wood would slowly burn away but the carbon char would shield a good deal if you kept this wood damp and air flow it would still be consumable but wouldnt melt or oxidize
its the same effect when you stick a roaring hot blow torch to wood the char glows but consumes very little and reflects most of the heat back
anyone thats ever tried to burn green wood knows how difficult it is to get going a soaking wet pieace forget it lol

1 Like

I don’t think it needs to be that high. It starts at around 600-800C. In order to get that hot, you need more oxygen which doesn’t favor CO formation.

Anyway I was originally going to post this since we were talking about new methods to create CO. This should almost be doable :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sehr interessante! (very interesting).

1 Like

I’m not saying ok found the holy grail i’m never gonna bother keeping on searching for something better , its just that well i am lucky in what i need , and that is a generator that will start producing power in under x amounts of mins with as little start up tinkering , and being honest that is just what i have , sure it looks like a pile of junk and sat out in all weathers its never gonna look pretty , but after a summer of sat out there and only been used a handfull of times i walked over to it last week and turned the fan on and stuck a light to the charcoal that been sat in the drum for over 4 months and had my generator running up to full power in under 6 mins .
I know koen will slap my hand for not checking and cleaning the filters and maintaining what ever he maintains on his start up procedure , but well lets be honest here he does not have gail force winds and icy rain blasting down on him out side in the elements nearly every time he runs his gasifiers he has a shelter to work under and that for me would be a luxury :blush: maybe when i get a shed built i will take better care but for now boy mine ran like a good un yesterday .
And Ryan your idea was mentioned to me once before by someone and its a great idea and also somewhere on DOW site there is a post of people charcoaling bread ect and using that as insulation from the heat and people trying to emulate " Starlite " using a mixture of certain ingredients , i guess we should never give up and keep on reaching for the stars , just i’m getting tired and old and forgetful and i wanna slow down and enjoy the small wins i have had .
All the best
Dave

10 Likes

Hi Dave,
Nothing matters more than your personal happiness, so the fact that you’r happy with the way you are doing it, makes it the good way doing it.
Thumbs up

5 Likes

Hi Sean,
I was talking about the heat at molecular level, the tiniest layer around the lump charcoal.
Most of that heat gets dissipated in the surroundings and your thermometer only shows average readings.

I have put charcoal in the oven up to 1700ºC and observed so many things already…
Its amazing what can be learned by DOING

About that study, conversion…
What happens when you mix pure C gas ( without O ) with any other molecular structure containing O ?

3 Likes

But Koen if i was really really happy i would have bamboo or coconut growing in abundance on my property and have a year round climate of lets say hmmm 25 degs C and no one moaning about the smoke from fires and the cost of everything here .
But sadly thats not to be for me so i will be as happy as i can with my rotten old timbers of many types and 4 seasons in one day weather , and read and dream of you luckier people in tropical lands were authority’s it seems are happy to have charcoal driven machiney and not like the big brother state we are in now .
happy happy happy Dave

4 Likes

not to bring religion into things kim clement mentioned firepoint energy and some of his content/prophecy is mind blowing but when i had looked into it you would think if god is going to release a new form of energy he would make it available to the poorest and to where a government or corporation couldnt control and tax it kind of like how water is you can find food and water free
we all have our reasons for running on wood for myself i heat with wood,make lumber so there is an abundance with the ice storm i have pine and other trees that have broken tops
but also the rising cost of gas and diesel the electric company has really indirectly started price/bill hiking to cover the cost of the mass damage the icestorm caused my transformer blew so they are
trying to say there is an old bill 500 plus because they took the meter out after it broke from the support line snapping and breaking the glass they want to charge 200 for a new inspection
when nothing changed inside kentucky power is a very bad company a few years back me and my mother had to fight them over reimbursement after they switched account type to commercial
(its a cabin in the country no septic) when we got a 2000 monthly bill and came and cut it off pulled the meter inspection required then the linemen nitpicked an arc mark made after one of them tightened a wire lug so that fiasco was another inspection they are just impossible to reason with
poor company the puc needs to deal with but folks around here wont speak out or try to go alternative…

1 Like

The boiling point of carbon is 3825C is carbons sublimation point. I would imagine odder things happen above that.

I’m not sure anyone has tried with electrons, nor am I sure the process would work. But you might end up with diamonds. A lot of synthetic diamonds are made using gas disposition, and high pressure, high temperature processing.
But the electron stuff makes more sense with oxygen since the electron stream would weaken one of Carbon Oxygen double bonds.

They have tried to make graphene that way, but it is really tricky, and most of the time they end up with flakes not even small sheets.

1 Like

here is what a came up with as far as a green wood nozzle i chose a beech limb that broke from the ice i figured someone with better tools might be able to improve im working with primitive tools because an old hand drill is the deepest bit i could drill but while making it i was thinking of a cheech and chong pipe lol but any how the way i had thought about sealing the end is with a cv joint axle boot the idea was to make it so as it might be consumed it could be advanced or even turned a bit

3 Likes

2 Likes

the 1/2 or 3/4 pipe is screwed into the green wood nozzle a drill press or lathe could be used to drill a fairly strait hole as well as smooth down the outer part for a better fit if a cv joint boot isnt available an old inner tube or thick rubber stretched around the bigger pipe and little pipe with hose clamps might suffice as well the idea is that the green/wet wood will char creating a carbon heat shield that will reflect the heat back (the principal of trying to burn wet wood with a blow torch) while im sure this could be improved by others i havent tested it because it got dark
and dont laugh at my welding im not use to torch welding and im useing old rusted thin tank barbed wire and stick electrodes and wire
for filler rod
in this picture you can see the wood sticking out of the end of the pipe this would aid in a quick change out of the consumable portion if you used a long pieace then you could pull it out an drill a new nozzle that points up
also if a spring was put on the outer part a strong vacuum would pull the wood nozzle in further or move it in then the spring would retract it a tenon cutter can be made to shave the branch to make a nice fit it might not be a bad thing to have air enter around the wood nozzle the pipe around the nozzle is 2 inch galvanized

3 Likes

A lovely sunny warm Autumn day here so seeing’s as i have solar panels working away charging up my batteries i thought i may as well empty my charcoal drum and see the state of the nozzle .
I think its been nearly a year since the last time i emptied my gasifier to check on the nozzle and clean out the ash and clinkers , and the other day it was feeling pretty warm around the bottom of the drum and so maybe the nozzle might finally need replacing after being installed in 2018 .
Well i found out why the bottom of the drum was getting hot anyway take a look at my clinker volcano .

Most of the outer edge was pretty soft and broke away real easy , the closer i got towards the nozzle itself the harder the clinker became and the glassy hard stuff was not a easy job to clean off the nozzle without damaging it , well it did break off pretty easy as it happens and this is what i found below that hard clinker volcano

Now that’s not bad is it for a 28 month old nozzle , no wear at all no erosion , oxidation or anything at all .
I have 3 smaller bits of tungsten that Bruce kindly posted to me , i think the time has come to try them in a new gasifier as this one just isn’t gonna wear out anytime soon by the looks of it .
Dave

10 Likes