Nozzles for Charcoal gasifiers, part 2

I’ve never seen a nozzle like that Koen. How was that made and from what? Very interesting.

11 Likes

Was that sintered or cast?

6 Likes

They come from long tubes, used for ceramic microfiltration, i cut them and form them with diamond disks/tools, depending the use i change shape.
they are not fond of heat shock, but that counts for almost any materials

10 Likes

Alright I finally had the time to build a boiler jet.

The interior of the nozzle is a 14mm diameter piston wrist pin, with a 1/2" pipe welded to it because I couldn’t even begin to touch the wrist pin with a drill. Snapped or dulled every single one I tried with.

Jacket is some 1" conduit that’s actually more like 1.125" ID. I’ve got 1/8" clearance around the interior nozzle.

My steam relief hole is 1/16" drilled towards the back end of the nozzle so it’s at a high spot. My water inlet is at the base.

Nozzle is pointed downwards at an angle.

Body is a Mortar Can, iirc it’s 50bmg length and width but extra extra tall.

Grate is just expanded metal, 1/8" gap.

Gas outlet is 2" with a Tee for cleaning out.

I lined from nozzle level to the grate with 1/4" ceramic wool and one more sheet opposite of the nozzle just in case the blast goes to the wall. I sprayed it down with sodium silicate rigidizer(that’s why the wool is orange) and when that is dried I’ll paint on a layer of 100HT refractory liner.

I’d like to test it on my Briggs engine, but it may be too large for the gasifier. My hopes are the ceramic wool and 100HT plus the distance from nozzle to grate will let me do that.
The gas will likely require cooling, I’m okay with that. I’m expecting the gas to be hot so that’s why I’m using 2" outlet. I’ve got a tubing bender that will work with 1" conduit so I could bend up a Ben Peterson style cooler.

17 Likes

koen, thanks for the videos, obviously there is a increase of rpm with water addition,
my try was not the last, maybee i have overdosed it, must build a provisoric dripper for experiments…my crawler with updraft gasifier will get water addition for shure, his kerosene engine has low compression , so there will be needed

12 Likes

Two days and the rigidizer still isn’t dry. The air must be too stale in the shop so I placed a fan over it today. I had some extra material that I had sprayed and laid it nearby and it’s dry now.

Edit: I applied the ITC 100HT coating to the ceramic wool now that the rigidizer is nice and dry. I used a sandblaster gun to apply it as directed. Not sure how long that will take to dry.

6 Likes

Super interested to see what that coating does for you. DIY forge and foundry makers note a large benefit in peak temperatures and fuel efficiency from applying them.

Matrikote and Plistix are ITC alternatives mentioned on those forums. They are cheaper by weight/volume but I gather ITC can work as a thinner coating so the cost may be equivalent. Kiln/Forge/Foundry products are quite a specialty item and so having alternatives may be helpful.

5 Likes

I left a fan blowing into the gasifier and the ITC is mostly dry. Decided to keep the fan on it throughout the day. It’s so humid I’m not afraid of it drying too quickly. I guess I’ll fully cure it by firing up the gasifier? I don’t have a big propane burner.

This stuff was super easy to apply using a cheap sandblaster gun.

6 Likes