Oxy / Atomizer Mixer Experiment

When I first tried it I didnt have a lot in the tank. It was probably pretty close to the level over top as it is with the float device.

I think I got a return based on how it was packaged. It looked like a re pack. First try it seemed to output more than it is right now after building this.

We will see what happens, its up and running now with 6 liters of water installed. We will see what the run time is and how much is consumed at the end. If we can get 3 hours than it should move 4.5 liters according to its spec. However I have not noticed any change with the hose connected or disconected. But we will just have to see. If it dont output the spec Ill just get a bigger one :slight_smile: lol

Started the engine at exaclty 3 pm.

Edit #1: Ok Im going to add edit to this post as we are limited to consecutive post. Ok so first observation after roughly 30 min into the run. Is the output hose is much colder than the last two runs with boiler jet. That does not mean a whole lot as sometimes the machine can just run hot for what ever reason and those last runs just ran that way. I dont know. But this is a change so far. This could still change so I will keep monitoring this as I go and report later.

5 Likes

LOL Im already looking at a bigger one. hahaha. Yeah its not phased at all with this one. But if I go to this one Ill need a bigger ammo box. This one should move 5 liters and hour.

4 Likes

I am not sure I am surprised. The 1.7mhz disks I looked at were rated at 440ml/hr.

Not to ruin your ammo can motif, but I might look at like a 5 gallon bucket, or if you have to buy something, the larger like 27 gallon storage containers might actually be cheaper, they are like 10 bucks, and that is about what they want for a 5 gallon bucket and lid nowadays.

5 Likes

I dont care about cost this is funded by the company. But yeah Im looking at the plastic ones on Amazon that that bigger one will fit in. Depending on what I find today I may or may not order this set up. If I do it wont be until next week.

But anyways hose temp has gone up to where it was with the other test so no change there.

We will just have to see what the consumption is at the end to really know. Right now we only speculate.

3 Likes

Yeah just measured the level it had 6 inches and now an hour an half in it still has 5 1/2" Yeah not enough !

1 Like

Matt, kudos for your effort and the ideas you share with us.
If I were ever to start making a charcoal gasifier (which I doubt, because Iā€™ve indulged myself with using wood chips), I would think like this:

• the engine must work in low and high load, which means that the intensity of gas production changes
  • the gas must be constantly strong, which means that we have to feed a constant mixture of water vapor and air into the process, here I would focus on the key information and that is how many grams of water vapor per kilogram of air, which is information about the absolute humidity of the air
  • since absolute humidity cannot be measured directly, but is calculated on the basis of relative air humidity and temperature, I would focus only on temperature, since heated air can only accept a certain amount of water vapor, then it becomes saturated and the additional water condenses in the capsules, this can be easily controlled if the amount of water vapor that the air receives heated up to 90Ā°C is sufficient, above 100Ā°C there will be no more condensation and thus there will be no more control of the mixture in this way
  • the temperature of the mixture would be easiest to control with the engine coolant, where the thermostat regulates the temperature, ā€¦

this is just a thought, but maybe it will be useful for someoneā€¦

5 Likes

The gasifiers are pretty tollerant and can handle moisture fluxuations. Where a wood gasifier are much more finicky at the air / fuel mixture.

However once we start pushing that extreme upper limit of what the gasifier can tollerate is when those things will be an issue I think. But that is the plan Im going to push this to the extreme limits.

4 Likes

If there is a noticeable difference in output from when you started to now. You might look at replacing the discs, maybe one or more arenā€™t working right.

This is correct. However, it actually physically throwing 1-5 micrometer droplets into the air. So like a Fogā€¦ or tiny raindrops, some vaporize, because of the heat and small surface area which increases humidity, but it isnā€™t all vaporized. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So yeah just concluded this test and its a total failure!! LOL This is more of the device not doing what is claimed and Im probably correct in thinking It was a return. Its a piece of junk!

No Sean production is the same as when it started. I guess it just looks a like a lot but isnt. Oh well it is what it is.

Ok so here we are what was learned. Im back to a 2 hour run Im letting it cool down before I check the hopper level. But I suspect its cashed. The two runs prior were both pushing 3 hours with much greater water consumption.

So working on the next version of the boiler jet right now and may test tonight.

4 Likes

just put the humidifier in a bucket of water and measure how much it is actually using over an hour. You donā€™t need to run the gasifier to do that test. And if there is an option just to run one at a time. I would just do one.

You may also let it dry out for a day, and retry tomorrow, they really donā€™t like getting submerged completely even though that unit doesnā€™t blow up when it is.

3 Likes

Its already done I just ran a full hopper load with a draft through the box. Either it dont work as advertised OR the draft is not enough to move the volume and the mist is just falling back into the water. Reguardless its a fail.

New boiler jet is built and running now. So far so good I also added that pick up tube to the needle valve to prevent crud in the bottom of the tank flowing into it. Im only 20 minutes in so cant really report anything yet.

2 Likes

I would guess a bit of both. It probably wonā€™t draft in. It has to be inline with the air intake. It is heavier then normal air at this point. And it was probably saturated and falling back down. It probably needs some airflow design to prevent fresh air from gliding over the top as well. However it needs a humidity sensor because you can supposedly suffocate in the mist. Which also means the gasifier would suffocate as well

Iā€™m still skeptical of the output claims. It has to do 36V differential to get the max from the piezos. And there are two sizes 16mm and 20mm (20mm and 25mm with the rubber on). One maybe the smaller was 440ml/hr.

I now have to look up the amp draw for the piezo controllers. 240w seems high for 6 of them. It might not be. It works out to 50w/liter for the small ones.

ā€œYour brilliant flop was a raging success! Come on, letā€™s get busy and on to the next!ā€
ā€“Rosie Revere

3 Likes

Yeah Im going to abadon this. It was fun and great experiment but if it has to be any more complex than what I started with its a no go for me. I have to keep this is simple as possible so employees can build these systems. The boiler jet is something we can produce the only hard part is machining the pipe adapter bushing but a training on the lathe can solve that and if we produce in bulk its viable.

Next experiement will be with the oxygen concentrator. It will get used there are times when I get sick I wish I had one anyways.

3 Likes

I figured that is why you dropped it so fast. Especially after reading Bruceā€™s post, i think it could work.

I still have to get something working for the hydro system and right now it is looking like a custom board. The pca9685 that was going to make it easy, isnā€™t going to work either.

At least i figured it out before i ordered though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To give some more information:

• that air with a temperature of 80Ā°C can hold 130g of water (water vapor), which means 15% of the volume
  • that more than 10 m3 of synthesis gas is produced from 1 kg of charcoal (the data is very rough from 10 to 15 m3), from which we can conclude, if we assume that 1 m3 of gas weighs 1 kg, that we use approx. 10 kg of air for this gasification
  • if we take the data of 15% volume of water vapor per 1 m3 of moist air mixture from the first source and take into account the fact that water vapor is much lighter than dry air, we can say that when gasifying 1 kg of charcoal, we use 9 kg of air and 1 kg of water

Conclusion of thinking:
During the gasification of charcoal, we can easily moisten and heat the air by passing it through a heat exchanger, which is heated by the engine coolant (80Ā°C) and in which a certain level of water (toilet flushers) is maintained, through which the air is passed. In this way, we get a suitable mixture of air and water vapor, which is needed in the gasification of charcoal.

3 Likes