Plasma Cutters

Hi Tom. Glad you can still make it on from time to time. My truck is doing well. I had to patch my hay filter because it rusted through over the winter. Last evening I washed soot out of the cooling rails for the first time. I am ready for Argos! I wish you the best as you deal with the family illness. The truck will still be there for you when all that is over.

I never felt the need for a plasma cutter until you guys started talking about them. Now Iā€™m in the marker for one.
Just a piece of FYI for those few people who might know less than I do about them:
A ā€œgoodā€ air filtering system costs about $100, with replacement cartridges at about $5 or $10. i think I have seen some filters or filter/regulators for Plasma cutters going for $200.
Also, as my son the welder pointed out, Ebay has all sorts of ā€œdealsā€ on consumables, especially if you buy a bunch at a time.
So far i have learned that there are torches that use 2-part, 3-part and even 4-part comsumables.
Not sure how this applies to overall cost of operation, but itā€™s something to think about.
Also, just so you are not surprised, some of the dual voltage models appear to come with no power plug at all. You install the plug you need for the voltage you choose. Not a show stopper, but something to think about if you plan to change input power sources often.
Others, like the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42, come with plugs and adapters.

Pete Stanaitis

I just bought a new Hypertherm Powermax 45 so far I love it. Seems to be well made.

Does the lotus have good support/replacement parts source? Iā€™ve been leery of buying Chinese for these reasons.

I checked the Lotos 5000 on ebay a couple of days ago and wow, the prices are now in the 450 to 600+ dollar range. Guess demand drove up the price to the scalp em level. I waited too long or am I missing something? If Iā€™m going to spend that much the chinese can junk ā€œthisā€ if you know what I mean!
Pepe

Pepe, look up cut50d on Ebay, theyā€™re all practically the same as the Lotos. Several are available for under 400. Hereā€™s one that ships for $350:

Chris,
Are you and the other Lotos users running on 110 or 220V?

Wes

Wes,

Iā€™ve done both, and I like the option of 110v for portability. It does seem to cut better with 220v, but 110 is quite usable. I use 220 whenever I can, especially for thicker steel. Wayne uses 220 also.

Hey everyone; I mentioned before about the special filter I obtained to make sure my plasma torch keeps working. I got it from Airgas Welding Supply and paid just under $100.00 for it.Was out in my shop and remembered to take a couple of pics.Hope this helps. Dan

Dan, I installed that same brand with the exact appearance as an oil filter back around 1980. It used a single ply toilet paper roll that I installed in it per instructions from the company when our pushbutton society hadnā€™t matured yet. Frantz company was their competition and my Dadā€™s choice. He spilled his oil during a change, and I didnā€™t due to design differences. Might have to look at that brand again for carbon black filtration in crankcase oil.

Hi Doug; Now that you mention it, the filter cartridge inside is about the size and appearance of a roll of toilet paper. The cartridge is a very dense white, cushie type material now. Dan

Iā€™m going to be buying both a welder and a plasma cutter at the same time. What do yā€™all think about this combo unit from Eastwood for $1099? http://www.eastwood.com/versa-cut-60-and-mig175-combo-kit.html

It is a 175 amp welder and 60 amp plasma cutter. One of my goals is to also learn auto body work, strictly as a hobby. I know Eastwood is just putting their label on something made elsewhere but they seem to have a good reputation. I donā€™t see them selling junk. Suggestions?

Hi Todd, I have the 175 copycat and really like the continuously variable heat and wire speed. I overheated, tripped it out, one time last summer, in a hurry. Looks like a good combo.

Hi Todd,

I have the Eastwood welder and I actually prefer it over my 1200 dollar Miller. However, there are some friday built ones out there. Make sure there is a money back guarantee and weld as much as you can befor that 30 day warranty goes out. For the money that is a very good buy you will not find a welder out there for this pricing with the fine tune capability these machines have. I use the eastwood daily as a production machine and have no complaints with it.

Looks like it comes with a 3 year warranty. Iā€™m looking to buy the same tools for my project. Seems like a really good price, shipping to my zip code $52.85 .If you do decide to buy this package please give us an update on how it works out for you.

Hey Todd, I just got a 20% off coupon from Eastwood, good for 7 days, and the web site is offering 10% o0ff this morning. Glad to help you out if possible. We only live 100 miles apart.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Iā€™m not quite ready to order it yet but hopefully they will offer some discounts in a month or so.

Yes, Carl. I noticed weā€™re almost neighbors. I went to school in Arkadelphia (OBU) and my best friend from college was a doctor in your town a few years ago. Iā€™d like to meet up with you someday when Iā€™m up that way. Iā€™ll definitely take you up on the offer for help!

I see every one wanting a plasma cutter but for clean straight cut you should look into a cordless saw from Makita. I picked one up from Tool King for $128.00 with out battery. It cuts really well easy and fast the cut is cool to the touch right after cutting. Straight and clean. I use it just like you would a skill saw cutting wood only you can cut steel. No burring on threaded stock.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=BCS550Z

Hi Greg, the thing is if you have to cut a lot of circles, its difficult with that saw.

Hi Greg,

Yes I bought a metal cutting saw from lowes for 90 bucks out the door and use the Avenger metal blades on it. This is a lower rpm saw and the blades last a very long time. I built a frame with a track for the saw to slide on and it cuts straight as an arrow. But like mentioned above we need to cut circles so a plasma is in order. I built a power drive system for our Hobart useing a wiper motor and belt drive system. I have a speed control to control my speed rate and the machine does a really nice job. But things are really ramping up here. so I will be acquiring a CNC plasma machine. Im going to need to replace the hobart on this machine.

Here is the table and few choices of plasma cutters I am looking at getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-5-M4-CNC-Plasma-Router-Table-3-axis-by-Lightning-CNC-Very-Dependable-/261205244434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd10bba12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271007797806?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSAIC-50A-PILOT-ARC-PLASMA-CUTTER-110-220V-Extra-20-Consumable-3-Year-Warrant-/221147768910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d6f284e