Ron Holmack Legacy Scholarship: DONATE NOW

Congratulations Cody. I was rooting for you.

13 Likes

Donā€™t you do some car shows SteveB? Maybe you could work something out with cody to do some kind of show and tell at them. Your Toyoda and a pick up truck. Good way to show more possibilities.

11 Likes

Congratulations Cody!

12 Likes

Congrats Cody! And thanks for all the help you have given me and others on this forum.

GC

14 Likes

Very briefly looking at uhaul, with a 10ā€™ box truck it would cost over $2000 for a one way drive to North Carolina. Not including fuel. Thatā€™s assuming I could cram that trailer inside a 10ā€™ truck.

Some of the trucking companies that I asked for quotes have given a number as low as $1000 and as high as $2500 but they didnā€™t give me a straight answer on how much to move the truck and trailer in one go. Doesnā€™t help that itā€™s after hours and I was clearly talking to someone from a call center.

Dad hasnā€™t called his friend yet, so maybe they could find a good price if they canā€™t do the job themselves.

11 Likes

Ditto here, or maybe a fund to have it made roadworthy by a local mechanic?

GC

6 Likes

Iā€™m starting to think that would be cheaper. New tires and a tune up might be easier.

6 Likes

Colibri Auto Transport gave me the lowest quote for at least the truck to be moved at $1050. Hopefully they can respond to the text message I sent(they sent me a quote via text), and answer how much it would be to add the trailer to a one way trip.

Hopefully I can lock in a good quote for a later pickup time, Iā€™ll be talking with the family about what works best for them. I donā€™t know the first thing about Idaho weather but Iā€™m assuming theyā€™re buried under 100 feet of snow and fighting off woolly mammoth right now.

8 Likes

Well, if you could get the truck moved for that price perhaps one of the Washington guys that will be coming to the wood gas meet in Kentucky could pull the chunker trailer that far. You could take the truck to the meet and drag the chunker home.

9 Likes

That sounds like a really good idea, Tom.

Edit: Iā€™m still being bombarded with quotes from many different companies, itā€™s getting cheaper now. I saw one as low as $845.

7 Likes

Hi,
I was trying to get a measure of the length and width of RonHā€™s made up chunker and I found this video long not seen:

Looks real good. Sounds wonderful.
Note Cody he had the working ass end set into notched log sections. Front tongue jacked up pressuring down. Probably for working stability.
His bunker assembly looks to be single trailer axle narrow. With enough front and rear clearances to be able to winch up onto to a flat bed; or up into a box van.

I had a phone interchange with one of the silent DOW member going to be working towards vehicle-generator woodgasification to add onto his Off-Grid placeā€™s power making capabilities.
Hope he reads this, and sees this video.
Wood prepping is a full one third of the success or not-success using wood for your power.
We did not cover this aspect in our phone interchange.
Regards
Steve unruh

8 Likes

This is your lucky winter! Weā€™re several hours south of Sandpoint, but weā€™re just about out of snow on the ground, which is remarkable for the beginning of February. The forecast calls for less than half and inch of snow in the next week. That said, a few years ago we didnā€™t have much snow at this time, and February left us with six feet, say two meters. Strike while the iron is, ummm, warmish.

7 Likes

It seems strange that the truck has sat all these years because it need a tune up, better check why the truck was not used even on gasoline driving around. If the truck has sat for a long period of time other things will need to be addressed before you make a drive across the USA. Having to fix automotive things on the road can and will be expensive if it has to go into a repair shopā€¦ Haul it home and fix it there is my vote. The chunker needs to be haul anyways.

8 Likes

Tom,
Yes. Thatā€™s a good idea. May be we could coordinate something like that.

4 Likes

Less than ten miles from Sandpoint: https://511.idaho.gov/map/Cctv/270.C1--2

2 Likes

Looking up every one of these companies on the Better Business Bureau does not inspire confidence. Many do the price bait and switch. I hope my Dadā€™s friend can at least recommend a good company.

8 Likes

I looked around for more reputable companies, and I was given a quote for 2780 dollars. This is a company that has been given good reviews on websites like Reddit.

The family has specified that the pickup only has issues when itā€™s warm outside and when itā€™s up to temperature, and Ron had no issues in the winter months and ran like a sewing machine on woodgas. Sounds like it could be anything but Iā€™m leaning towards the IAT Sensor. They said itā€™s as if itā€™s choking for air.

10 Likes

I thought those prices you got were fishy. It cost 150 bucks to get a tow truck to come 15 miles from Traverse City to My town.

5 Likes

To get my 1992 Dodge Dakota truck home from Kentucky it cost right at a little over
$ 2000.00
Plane ticket, food on the road, gasoline. Right side brake rotor hung up first day on the road. Shop time and two new brake rotors. The radiator mount broke in Montana on I-90, it suck the radiator into the fan blade, antifreeze everwhere all over the windshield and truck. Tow truck to the repair shop for more shop time and more parts for repairs. I did safe monies on motels, I sleeped in the truck. Drove 10 to 15 hours a day. It still was a great adventure. This was a few years back now. So to have some one else do the hauling for the chunker and truck?
Humm.

7 Likes

About near same. It cost me about 80 dollars to move a Jeep Cherokee 30 miles on a flatbed back in 2018.

Shipping the truck and trailer is the most sensible thing to do.

Cannonball driving a truck over 2000 miles thatā€™s been sitting a while is definitely the riskiest move.

Iā€™m going to need to save up, and luckily I have some time to do that.

Edit: Adrienne, the family member Iā€™ve been talking to, put forward an idea for a GoFundMe. Iā€™m not very good at writing up that kind of stuff, but I did have an idea to contribute to that. If by some means we did a GoFundMe and it exceeded the goal, I think the excess money should go towards the Drive On Wood website.

9 Likes