Small gasifier project

Sadly, I ran out of welding wire. And there is no store in my village, which sells 1 kg flux core welding wire. But yea, here is an update. I welded the cage together. The front side is a gate. I seem to be able to hang the radiator of the back of this cage. This does mean that the cage might get hot, because it has the hot gasses up there. But yea, this way, it’s much more managable/I can just unbolt it.

3 Likes

Please tell me more. What will this catalytic converter do?
Rindert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dbvJ3oXYoc Timestamp 2:07? Aluminum oxide is what he mentions. (took me a bit of time to find) In one of his other vids, he also uses aluminium tubes I think, where he is stating that it too will help as an catalytic converter.

Considering aluminium “doesn’t oxidise” due to a tiny (hard) layer of aluminium oxide, it should work somehow? (it’s been well over a year when I did my “research”, I only remember that I should add aluminium junk in the loop) Don’t think this is the vid where I got really hyped from.

1 Like

Keep in mind: I think this YT-er didn’t have the best of reviews on this site. But he has LOADS of experimental setups, where he does try to explain every step. And even if it doesn’t work as intended: it’s still surface area where goop can stick to.

1 Like

Good Morning Jahee.
We unfortunately do say “catalyst” as in automotive exhaust catalytic. converter.

I think exposed to woodgas reactive aluminum will be much more like our glowing hot charcoals.
Slowly or rapidly sacrificing itself to enhance reactions.
They do get consumed, used up. A true catalyst does not get consumed. Coated polluted usually. Is recoverable, restorable.

I do not mean to be hair-splitting picky.
But these differences are important for true thremal chemical understanding.
For long term use contructions designing.
Aluminums in a hot wood gas environment pin hole form quickly. Not a material you want to rely on for gas tightness.

Regards
Steve unruh

1 Like

I’m going to add scrap aluminium (empty soda cans and such) as filter medium. Even if it gets consumed: no problem. But I’ll try to find the origional vid where it got mentioned.

2 Likes

Tiny update on some parts I made, where you can actually see the progress.

Ventilator/blower/sucker, whatever you want to call it… It’s on the left. I took a (free) central heating unit chimney ventilator thingy, and made a box around it. Used 2 remains from 2 different fire eqtinguishers, small pipe and a piece of an oil barrel (sheet metal) to make this thing. I also got a “broken” fan controller. Person who gave it away said it was broken, because it made his blower make all kinds of noises when not @ full speed. It’s most likely an engine issue, because it’s working just fine.

On the RIGHT you can see my burner unit. Intended for when I’m not running an engine, or during start-up of the gassifier. Made from 2 IKEA-style table/desk legs. Also added 3 strips of metal from an fire extinguisher, to attach it all. Kept the dekstop attachment plate on the white leg. I plan on putting bolts on there, so I’ve got a raised platform so I can for example put a cettle on it. (or a frying pan)

(reason for edit: found an obvious mistake)

3 Likes