Thrive Off Grid

So it will be outside and giving off heat right. So just waste the heat to the outside or are you planning to reroute it and use it inside the shop area? Or will be to dangerous to do that?
Bob

1 Like

No not really. It will only run for five minutes at a time. So not a ton of heat will be lost. By the time it fills the barrels up it will hardly even get warm.

2 Likes

If anything we may insulate it so heat is put into the biomass to help produce the charcoal. Theoretically, this will fire up, flare off and then fill the gasometer and shut back off going into standby mode. While its in this standby mode that heat is still drying and reducing the fuel to better set the stage for the next cycle and produce charcoal.

3 Likes

So this gas is not engine quality gases all the time? It will need to be filtered for other means. But the by product of charcoal is of engine quality grade to be used in generation or running any IC Engines. This looks like it will work but only with automation controls. To much time if you would have to run it in a manual you watch it mode.
Bob

2 Likes

Just the contrary, this gas will be very clean. Cleaner than what the charcoal gasifier can produce. The issue the gasometers need to cool and settle the gas to get it that clean. So it will for low volume and is why Im not certain it will keep up with a furnace so there is absolutely no way it will keep up with a high volume engine.

Yes automation is required, but this is not something to be scared of. Its just shuttling valves on and off electrical stuff breaks way less than anything mechanical. If anything goes wrong you simply replace it like any mechanical system. Just valves and relays, the controller is unlikely to ever fail. Even if it does its probably the simplest part to replace. Just get an Nano board and load it up with our software. We will provide the code. You simply unplug it and plug the new one in its place. Nothing to wire or unwire. My hardware systems are now very simple and easy to troubleshoot.

6 Likes

Ok going to post this video here, running the inverter generators in tandem. This here Im running the 9500 with the 8750 inverter generators. Note that the 8750 is NOT parallel capable; however the 9500 is and it can sync to the 8750. But the 8750 can not sync to the 9500. So the 8750 must be the master and started first and then you start the 9500 and it will automatically sync to it.

Any inverter generator that is parallel capable does NOT need any special cables none of them. All you need to do is build a Y cable and join them. The cable ports on these are hard wired directly into the output legs, the only reason they make them that way is for safety reason’s. IE you unplug one generator while the other is running; you will have a live plug with prongs.

Also is the 2023 DFX-S3 final revision. Moving on to the VersiFire and next generation controls. I will soon be posting a lot about the Versifire especially if it works!! Im expecting this to be a massive product for this company way beyond what we sell in gasifier systems.

8 Likes

Here is a quick update on the VersiFire. I will be ordering the accumulator barrels this week and get them built along with getting the ammo box filter and blower set up. Took a bit to think of a compact frame that would support the gasifier reactor and also integrate the gasometer barrels. But I think Ive come up with something we can offer in a kit that will be easy to assemble and viable to ship at the same time. As for a safety cage, Im going to leave that to the users discretion as this is a DIY kit.

I also need to install the grate agitator actuator mechanism yet. So I will tackle that when we tear it back down to install the accumulator drums. Once all this is built it will be ready to plumb up and install the electrical stuff. Then it should be ready to fire up. Im shooting for the end of September and this will be fully functional and proofed out.

Yeah this thing is a beast!

This foot pedal lifts up the catch bin up too the reactor, so that you can seal and secure it using the band clamp. When full, you step on this and release the band clamp, lower it down releasing the foot pedal and then re place an empty back in and re secure it.

9 Likes

So my Wen electric log splitter came today. I love that thing. This is perfect for fuel prep for charcoaling plus you can use it to split firewood. These splitters look like toys but I assure they are not toys, that little thing will split logs just as big as my step dads 10 hp splitters! It is quite impressive.

I have not ran it off my battery bank yet but plan to do that and also teh 212cc. But judging by the 9500 it hardly even flinches so Im sure the 212 will have no problem. Running the 212cc on chargas that will be the test! If it will do it it would then process this pile I did today on about 3 lbs of fuel input.

Next is my woodgas chainsaw that should arrive tomorrow. Ive taken a deep dive down the cordless chainsaw rabbit hole a few times noiw and finally bought one. I came to the conclusion the Greenworks chainsaws are the best bang for the buck. The deal breaker on a lot of good ones is the the grabber teeth << I have no idea the correct terminology most should know what Im talking about lol) . If that is molded plastic stay away from it. One is they dont grab and two if they dont have a steel one that means its junk and more than likely cant handle a steel one.

6 Likes

I agree that thing looks like a toy log splitter, i will wait for a splitting vidio, though looks like its splitting your wood. It looks like the 6.5 ton i seen on EBAY,?

2 Likes

Yup but plenty of videos of them on Youtube no need to wait for me to do one. The point of this though; is to run this off grid efficiently and that it does and it does it very well. I can run this off my battery bank and it only turns on when its activated. Its not just idling while you load and off load.

2 Likes

I have one, but I don’t like how wide the wedge is. I’ve cut the original off and welded a 1/2" thick plate with an edge.

The logs explode open sometimes with the original wedge.

3 Likes

It is all you need for easier to split wood. It is when you get into the hard to split stuff cross grains they most likely fall over.

I will give you a month before your video of all your modifications. The one I saw they added a footswitch to it.

4 Likes

Yeah I got the foot switch on order. Yeah it will be a lot more productive. I dont think I will need to mod it for what I will be using it for. If the stock is too hard I just wont use it and it will be fire pit bound.

It had no problem splitting knots.

2 Likes

We get a lot of these electric log splitters come in the yard Matt and they work ok on softwoods like pine but we don’t bother with them anymore , as they will not work on Australian hard woods and just break so in the bin they stay .shame really as i hate waste and sending stuff back to China .
Dave

4 Likes

I have one that I used pretty hard for a couple of years. Finally gave out. I have never even checked to see if it was something simple like a seal but I did a fair amount of Ash with it and it was great. I liked that it didn’t make noise

6 Likes

How do they break? welds break or the frame twists or is it the pump?

(it is why I gave Matt a month for upgrades.) We used to have one of the 22t splitters and that struggled with some stuff. We stacked it up and waited for someone with the 30t to split it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To be honest i have no idea , they all seemed to have broken differently motors , pumps and screw i think i seen some with broken castings , like i said i was told not to bother so never did . some guy on market place had 5 for $100 i still didn’t bother
But i did have a home made 24 volt splitter made from a forklift hydraulic pump and tank and a very light weight ram , wasnt man enuff for the power that pump put out but boy was it fast and went through mountain ash hardwood good but a knott in the wood bent the ram after a while , i now use a 40 tonn diesel splitter that’s slow but you cant stop it will split rocks in half even it has that much power

5 Likes

Understand guys this is for an off grid solution. Gasoline / Diesel is not an option. I want a system I use on charcoal only if I had too and to do this efficiently as possible. Along with being able to use the battery bank as an option.

I dont know about the other ones on the market but this one is very well made. The welds on this are pretty stout. Why the pump would be any cheaper than gasoline counter part is beyond me and the motor is just a motor. I cracked a 12 inch oak log in half and it hardly flinched. So I dont know so far its doing what it is supposed too. I worked with my step dad for 10 years processing wood, this was using all commercial grade equipment. His chipper is the size of a medium sized RV. So believe me I get it and I am fully aware what this equipment is capable of. It will do what I need it to do. I dont have a ton of money to spend either so I am shopping for the best I can get for as cheap as I can get with the available funding I have. If I had money I would be getting the Echo or the Stihl Electrics. But Im not spending 800 bucks on an electric saw or high end splitter.

The Greenworks saw came in today and that thing is amazing! That thing has plenty of power and again no gas or oil mix. The battery fully charges in a half hour. I will get a second battery and as long as I can charge them I could go all day with it. For now if the battery dies Ill just switch to splitting and back to cutting after the battery is charged.

6 Likes

We have the older 60V Greenworks 16" Saw and like it. We found some knockoff batteries for it to supplement the brand name ones since they’ve moved onto the 80v system.

Also I like my electric splitter, I’ve split a lot of oak with it no problems. I just didn’t like how wide the wedge was and caused the logs to explode open sometimes. It sent firewood about 6 feet once. Freaked me out. Some guys have modded them by welding a hatchet head to the existing wedge, I decided to use a 1/2" thick blade.

4 Likes

Yup apparently Greenworks makes the Kobalt line for Lowes and those batteries will interchange as well.

4 Likes