Thrive Off Grid

Great information Francois. It appears this technology is taken quite seriously, and has already been fairly developed. Apparently 200Kw demonstration plants have been operated, and the intemt is now to deploy a 50Mw demonstration plant by 2025? I see their last charted goal is to utilize syngas at scale.

If this technology can be employed at small scale, for electric power generation, and particularly electric vehicle range extension, it could change our world.

Though in view of the record temperatures throughout Europe and the arctic, and the hottest June ever seen globally, I fear nothing will save our planet or civilization now.

5 Likes

I talked to a patent attorney last night and for United State patents there is a one year grace period. So Im going to ahead and disclose what i have uncovered.

Turns out it is the sodium silicate that is reacting with the heat. This is currently being investigated as a solid state electrolyte for new battery technologies. On my previous cells the architecture was not factoring in the sodium silicate as the actual electrolyte is was used simply for a binder. I think there was some direct shorting on earlier cells causing the degradation.

I built a very crude cell and ran it for around 12 hours. You can charge these cells directly from heat or they can be charged directly from another power source. This could potentially be huge as this would eliminate any charging devices charge directly from heat. Coupled to wind or solar that power could be directed to the cells and then at night the stove apparatus would maintain that charge over night.

8 Likes

So this is ordinary note book paper. I coated both sides with straight sodium silicate and let dry. Then coated one side with a mix of sodium silicate / aluminum oxide. Then the other with a mix of sodium silicate graphite. Then it up into 3" X 3" cells for a total of 6 cells in this stack.

Now there may be better chemistry to make this work. cobalt oxide I believe is what is used in Lipo cells. So I may investigate this as a replacement for the aluminum oxide. Graphine will come later once I have funds to purchase it.

Right now I have this cell stack charging for one hour and then Ill put it to the test. This is only the start I believe this is going to get much better :fire:

12 Likes

I am playing catch up again. But I was poking around looking at the Dasifier, and trying to figure out what Das Agua was doing with his gasifier because the drawing someone made, and the video don’t jive. I know I have done this before like 10 years ago. I re-ran across Das and Tom Reed’s patent to improve hydrogen production from a gasifier which you may have already seen, but I will repost it anyway because they are claiming like 40% hydrogen.:

4 Likes

So I am finally FINALLY wrapping up the first FPS system. One last challenge this machine has brought to me and thats an exhaust leak at the custom header I built. Going to pull that off tomorrow and add some weld to the effected flange and grind it smooth.

The plan is to get that done then clean up for live facebook video and also demo videos for Youtube.

This thing is a beast!! If it were not for that exhaust leak it sounds like there is a little small block V8 sitting in there :fire:

I plan to go live later in the after noon / early evening if I can get the exhaust leak taken care of. I will be running the shop fully on this machine and running two 1500 watt heaters. the full shop lights, the 220 miller mig welder a clothes dryer and our typical shop equipment.

This thing now that I have all the automation working and tuned is making very good strong and clean gas. The original hopper poker mechanism I could not get to work and I finally scrapped it, I ended up linking a vibrator thru wall directly to the hearth and that is working perfectly. So this whole time (you can think of the hopper agitator as the fuel pump) I have never had consistent flow during the tuning phase of four months!! Argh!! . Well it is there now and its running good.

Those that may want to tune in the FB page is linked bellow. Not sure how that will play out, most likely I will come on live multiple times through out the night. The plan is to run for at least 3 hours. We just want to show how consistent this machine is with out any intervention.

9 Likes

Pete ( @spaco ) has the perfect test for it rather then running space heaters… All about Metal casting - #27 by spaco

2 Likes

Looking good Matt, looking forward to you being on live later on.
Bob

3 Likes

Live feed is postponed for a few days. The engine has suffered tar accumulation from all the testing and tuning. I probably should have removed the crank case vent sooner and I think this was the culprit as the gas port to engine is open during flaring.

I did get the exhaust leak fixed only to find an underlying noise very very bad underlying noise. We were hoping it was just some lifter noise that it would recover from. Nope it was indeed a rod going out. It was weird as this would come and go. So I did not suspect the rod. I think the cause of failure was the oil pick up became saturated and this engine was starved for oil.

The good in all this is we found it before the machine left and as bad as it sounds. Its not really a big deal. Parts were less than 80 bucks and they are on the way. We will get this engine cleaned out and put back together as new. Now that the gasser is dialed in and the crank case vent is bypassed this wont happen again.

So Facebook live feed is still planned. Maybe a good thing because I want to show this machine sounding the way it should. It sounds beautiful.

6 Likes

Engine block is all cleaned up, just waiting for the new connecting rod and new cam to arrive. If they come in tomorrow and are the correct parts Ill have this engine back in the machine by end of the day. :fire:

6 Likes

Yeah that rod, yeah it is broken :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Very lucky that it did not punch a hole in the block

6 Likes

Yup 3000 dollars lucky!!! But thats the difference aluminum vs steel. A steel rod isnt going to let go of the cap as easily as an aluminum rod. If it were steel that engine would for sure be smoked. But on a small engine the rod is the weak link. Typically you can simply replace the rod with out crank journal damage. Just scrape the aluminum off and use emery cloth to shine it back up. Thats if there is not excessive wear.

6 Likes

You may need a better method too check for tar. Or is it posible your pellets were damp.Or posibly your char bed ran low before you fixed the hopper shaker, that happen too me trying too run pine sticks, no hopper shaker’ used up my char bed , went too heater mode, and cooked my ash door seal.Good luck getting the bugs ironed out on your cool new unit, how many watts you need too pull too keep the temps up, or maybe need more insulating designs added. Looking good.

3 Likes

No none of those issues, this was caused from earlier testing and tuning. The damage had already been done prior to getting the hopper agitator fixed. It just took this long, for it to reveal it self. Putting to work helped that along as this last week prior to this was the first real loading we put on the machine.

The crank case vent I just recently bypassed as well. This should have been the first thing I should have done. There was a 1/4" thick layer of tar sitting in the bottom of the crank case and oil pick up screen was clogged solid, nothing was getting thru it.

The gasser is working very well now that the shaker is working.The machine does not drop anything anywhere now, not even condensate. This is just how the proto types were and the machine you saw at Argos 2018. It ran for more than 8 hours that Saturday and only dropped a table spoon of amber condensate.

2 Likes

Ok thanks Matt, i should know you had all the basics covered, keep those model designs inprovments posting, I need too build a hopper shaker on my next design machine too be better able too run smaller lighter wood. nice work.

3 Likes

So took the day off from the shop to work on next generation design work. Now that the Flex Power System is nearing its completion of development I will start new development on a different type of system. The FPS will have its own market and this will fit a different type of market.

This new system will be a hybrid system featuring a built in oven, two cook top surfaces, built in hot water heater, potential evap system for refrigeration, heater mode with forced air fans TEG technology ready and did I mention it can run a power generator too?!!

Ok so yeah this thing is going to be the works and will have implemented every idea and concept Ive come up with over the years. Because my reactor does not emit combustion gases into the hopper; this technology is capable of being installed indoors. If fact my stove from last year is a modified version of the Flex Power Systems reactor. However on this version it will have a full reduction core requiring artificial draft support so no chimney on this one. .There will be an outdoor DC generator system that will house this draft blower.

In heating / cook modes this will have an intake on/off secondary air intake to inject air into the gas stream as it leaves the reactor. This will have the charcoal secondary unit as well. So the glowing ambers will light the gas here. As the gas burns it will enter a cyclone that in this mode will double as a swirl burner for a complete burn. From here the gas is directed to the primary burner plate,then too the oven and then over the second lower temp burner plate. Under this burner plate will be a hot water heat exchanger circulate the home installed hot water heater. The draft blower will have a speed to control along with the forced air fans. In cook mode you will not want those forced air fans on and may want to intensify the heat output by cranking up the draft blower.

There will be two steam reformers one at the charcoal unit to control temp and also at the upper section of the top reactors reduction zone. Steam will go through multiple stages of heating before entering into process.

In power generation mode the secondary air intake is simply shut off and the gas will take the same path out to the outdoor unit. Here the gas may go through additional filtration and then directed into the engine just as we do now. However this will be a direct coupled DC 200 or greater amp alternator system to direct charge into the battery bank. There is a reason for this besides being DC direct from generator . This allows to run at lower more reserved rpms or it can be cranked up when needed.

Both units will be fully automated along with a remote thermostat. This thermostat could be used to control
heating mode vs power generation mode. .When the room gets too hot it could switch to power generation mode and run cooler while it is producing power. The it can switch back when the thermostat calls for heat again. Should be a very clever system. All systems will use blue tooth communication so no wires.

This could house quite few teg modules as well, could potentially get another 500 to 800 watts here.

Eliminate the hot water heater and refrigeration power requirement will add into over all efficiency requiring much less power production.

This unit if realized will fit the existing stove market stand alone and then will create market awareness as some learn its full capabilities. It would also be EPA exempt as it is a cook stove and not a heating device. So I could bring this to market fairly quickly. But this will undergoes a development process with only beta units available for the first year or so.

Flex Power Stove Hybrid 02

8 Likes

To be honest Matt I am not following on everything you are saying here, but I am sure I will pick up on it as you move along on this new project. I give you 100 plus likes, and thumbs up.
Bob

4 Likes

It might be a cooking device by the EPA, but it may need a chimney according to building/fire codes. It probably needs it to be UL listed appliance for insurance purposes. Wood boilers are popular because they use outbuildings, that typically aren’t insured. Thus you avoid the extra insurance costs for an indoor wood heating which have gone through the roof. I don’t think all of them are attached to the ground either, so property taxes aren’t affected either.

Don’t get me wrong. I think it is a intriguing and useful concept.

4 Likes

Why would it need a chimney, it will be a great deal safer with a draft blower.

Yes it will need UL listing but you dont need it to sell.

2 Likes

It will most likely need/want an exhaust vent. Once you start adding other things like hot water, it produces more of the gases that you don’t want in your house.

You are correct, you don’t need UL listing for it to sell it. However to get your place insured and actually covered, it very well could require UL listing.

2 Likes